What did you do to your Bronco Raptor today?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
I’m in Moab now, dust everywhere. I even brought a bunch of dust from Kanab. A little bit of Hog Canyon, Fins and Things, Seven Mile Rim and a few other trails will be coming home with me
Well……………… the dust didn’t come home with me after all. My Raptor is sitting at Performance Ford of Moab and I’m back in California. Ugh.

After finishing my last day of wheeling on this trip, just passing 20k miles and about 100 yards from pavement, I got the dreaded 12V Charging System dialog box. After shutting off any lights, the A/C etc we drove back to Moab watching the battery voltage drop from 12 to 10. Good news, Performance Ford got me in the next morning and diagnosed an alternator failure.

Bad news, there are no 3.0L Bronco alternators nationally and no ETA on the back order. Plenty of 2.3 and 2.7, though. So I rented a car And came home, Raptor’s sitting in Performance Fords lot until further notice.

With the savings in gas driving home. from the rental car (37 mpg) I may leave my Raptor (13.3 mpg) there and just buy a new one here.

IMG_1979.jpeg

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Damn, sorry to hear that! At least you got an epic photo out of it and it sounds like it happened at the end of the trip. Hopefully, they can source you an alternator soon.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
@JohnGalt you use the term “dreaded” as if this is a common Braptor problem/fault. Can’t say that I’ve seen alternator problems documented much in the forums. Where have you heard or seen this before?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
@JohnGalt you use the term “dreaded” as if this is a common Braptor problem/fault. Can’t say that I’ve seen alternator problems documented much in the forums. Where have you heard or seen this before?
Common Bronco problem . But agree, haven’t seen this pop up for the Raptor in the forums.

However, there must be a reason they don’t have any Raptor alternators in the entire country!! Right?

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Common Bronco problem . But agree, haven’t seen this pop up for the Raptor in the forums.

However, there must be a reason they don’t have any Raptor alternators in the entire country!! Right?
The woes of owing a limited production vehicle. I had to replace a brake line that got “influenced” by some rocks a couple months ago. Ford told me that absolutely no dealers nationally stocked these parts, and that the only source was the factory. Luckily in my case, there was at least one available to ship to my dealer. Best of luck in finding something soon.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
The woes of owing a limited production vehicle. I had to replace a brake line that got “influenced” by some rocks a couple months ago. Ford told me that absolutely no dealers nationally stocked these parts, and that the only source was the factory. Luckily in my case, there was at least one available to ship to my dealer. Best of luck in finding something soon.
Thanks. I’m sure it’ll sort out soon. They’re short on techs and couldn’t fix it for a week anyway. Besides now I get to go back and wheel again!

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
They match the rock slider steps

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Thanks. I’m sure it’ll sort out soon. They’re short on techs and couldn’t fix it for a week anyway. Besides now I get to go back and wheel again!
I assume that was the rear brake line? I’ve looked at the slack in the line that dangles and wondered…..when…when is that going to snag on something?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Received Borla ATAK 2.75" Cat-Back Exhaust System - Single Split Rear Exit - 140934 from Lethal Performance. Delivered in less than two days, hoping to install soon.

As seen in this photo, I have the Easy portion of the install completed. :giggle:

IMG_7332.jpeg

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
I assume that was the rear brake line? I’ve looked at the slack in the line that dangles and wondered…..when…when is that going to snag on something?
Yes, rear driver side. It got pushed back (rock I assume) against the tire, scoring a groove on the inner tire surface. Even worse though, the contact caused abrasion in the soft brake line where it met the fitting that feeds into the caliper assembly. A serious brake failure waiting to happen. So I had the entire right rear soft line w/fittings replaced. Someday I’ll replace that line with a tighter design that doesn’t dangle, like the ones from Crown Performance.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Yes, rear driver side. It got pushed back (rock I assume) against the tire, scoring a groove on the inner tire surface. Even worse though, the contact caused abrasion in the soft brake line where it met the fitting that feeds into the caliper assembly. A serious brake failure waiting to happen. So I had the entire right rear soft line w/fittings replaced. Someday I’ll replace that line with a tighter design that doesn’t dangle, like the ones from Crown Performance.
I’ll be following your tighter design! It just seems like it’s only a matter of time before I’ll need to address the current set up.

Top Member Reactions