37 x 13.5 Tires on OEM Beadlock Capable Rims with no lift??

Wristdoc

Oct 24, 2023
KS
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Hey! New to the forum and a new owner of a 2023 Bronco Raptor. I'm just getting up to speed on the forum and tried to search this topic but couldn't find specifics...

I am interested in swapping out the OEM BFG's for a little wider look. My friend put the 37x13.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on his 2023 Raptor R with OEM beadlock capable wheels with no lift and they fit perfect with no rubbing. It just fills out the OEM wheels a little better, in my opinion.

Has anyone tried this without a lift on the Bronco? I don't really want to go with a lift yet and like the OEM wheels. The Nitto website says the tires require a 9" rim...not sure if the OEM's would work.

Thanks for any information and I love the looks of the 38's and up but just looking for something simple to give a little more presence to the tires right now...

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Welcome to BroncoRaptor.com! 🍻 The Raptor R OEM beadlock capable wheels are 17x8.5, same size as our Bronco Raptor, only difference is in the wheel offset & styling. I wouldn't expect any issues running that tire on a 1/2" narrower wheel and no clearance issues on the street. I'm running 13" wide (325x60-20) KO2's on my Superduty on OEM 20x8 wheels and it's the best riding vehicle we own, no problems. There may be a tire clearance issue when flexed to the max in rock crawling, but given you have the OEM wheels I think it's unlikely. Initially you may notice the increase from a 69lb tire to a 87lb tire when you accelerate. I also would not lift with 37" tires, should not be a problem. If you do decide to add lift collars, the 39x13.50-17 tires look perfect on our Bronco Raptors.
Maybe someone here with off-road experience can help with the clearance question.

OP
W

Wristdoc

Oct 24, 2023
KS
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
So an update...

Today I installed the Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ tires in 37x13.5x17s. Stock beadlock capable wheels.

Short drive home from the shop but they definitely rub near full lock on the front part of the upper control arms in front. I haven't had a chance to analyze it fully but it looks like I am going to need to do something to correct the fit.

I like the stock wheels so would prefer not to change them out. I am also not sure that I want to do the BORA 1/2 inch spacer which wouldn't work anyway if I can't get 7 full turns on the lug nuts when installing. (Holiday weekend so I can't call BORA right now for their input).

Does anyone know if anything less than their 1.5" spacer/stud would clear the wheel backs without cutting the existing studs? +34 offset on the OEM wheels = about 1.33". I have read they can do custom spacers but am not sure that would be necessary.

Anyway, thought I would send an update...I'm a little surprised that just 1" wider tire hits the control arm as hard as it does...

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
So an update...

Today I installed the Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ tires in 37x13.5x17s. Stock beadlock capable wheels.

Short drive home from the shop but they definitely rub near full lock on the front part of the upper control arms in front. I haven't had a chance to analyze it fully but it looks like I am going to need to do something to correct the fit.

I like the stock wheels so would prefer not to change them out. I am also not sure that I want to do the BORA 1/2 inch spacer which wouldn't work anyway if I can't get 7 full turns on the lug nuts when installing. (Holiday weekend so I can't call BORA right now for their input).

Does anyone know if anything less than their 1.5" spacer/stud would clear the wheel backs without cutting the existing studs? +34 offset on the OEM wheels = about 1.33". I have read they can do custom spacers but am not sure that would be necessary.

Anyway, thought I would send an update...I'm a little surprised that just 1" wider tire hits the control arm as hard as it does...
Do Not to cut the factory lug bolts. When using the Stock OEM wheels, there are relief cutouts (pockets) on the wheels hub area mounting surface that the lug bolts protrude into when using spacers that have their own lug bolts and are less thickness than the OEM lug bolt length. This is why Bora asks if using OEM or aftermarket wheels. I have Bora 3/4 inch spacers on my wife's Bronco Sasquatch Badlands with no problems. Our Badlands with Sasquatch due to the OEM wheels have a +30mm offset we ended up with a +11mm offset and the steering and all driving dynamics seem same as before the Bora spacers.
I was considering these Bora 3/4" inch spacers for my Bronco Raptor, just to bring the OEM tire tread flush with the flares.
1704042772735.png

However your 13.50 tire is approximately 1/2 inch further outward and inward. I would consider the .375 or .50 inch spacer in your case. If you haven't already, I would remove a wheel from the front and rear and thread a lug nut 7 to 8 turns on to a lug bolt and measure the remaining exposed lug bolt. Then subtract the corresponding measured wheel lug bolt hole depth to determine the spacer maximum thickness. I would also try turning the wheel to point of contact with the upper a-frame and try to estimate the amount of contact as it's very possible a .375" spacer will be adequate, less being better.
1704045613536.png

I'm not a fan of the .25" spacers (just a flat spacer) as the OEM wheel has a large chamfer for the hub and there is a risk of the wheel not making adequate contact with the hub to be considered hub centric.
Talk to Bora, they are very good at advising the correct spacers.

Another option, reduce the total steering travel by adding a thin pad to the bump stop, guessing it would be a very small amount and the reduced turning radius may be unnoticed.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wristdoc

Oct 24, 2023
KS
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Great information! Thank you for all of that.

I will call BORA this week and will check out the threads in the meantime.

Top Member Reactions