Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are wheeling!

This has probably been discussed; however, I couldn't find anything with the search.

Is anyone using an aftermarket air filter like the K & N? DNA?

It will be interesting to hear what others think.

Thanks

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I recommend staying with the OEM paper filter unless you have installed larger turbos that would require additional air. The OEM paper filters provide better filtration and Ford performance already designed our OEM airbox/filter combination for the requirements of the turbos. With turbo engines the air quality is more critical than with naturally aspirated engines, and considering our Bronco Raptors target operating environment is off road I definitely recommend leaving the OEM airbox and filter.
Oiled filters have also been known to allow the turbo fins to attract dust/dirt thereby leading to premature turbo failures as experienced in truck turbo diesels. Those aftermarket intake systems on stock turbo diesels provided no additional HP or Torque, just the need for turbo rebuilds and replacements.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
I recommend staying with the OEM paper filter unless you have installed larger turbos that would require additional air. The OEM paper filters provide better filtration and Ford performance already designed our OEM airbox/filter combination for the requirements of the turbos. With turbo engines the air quality is more critical than with naturally aspirated engines, and considering our Bronco Raptors target operating environment is off road I definitely recommend leaving the OEM airbox and filter.
Oiled filters have also been known to allow the turbo fins to attract dust/dirt thereby leading to premature turbo failures as experienced in truck turbo diesels. Those aftermarket intake systems on stock turbo diesels provided no additional HP or Torque, just the need for turbo rebuilds and replacements.
Thank you. Excellent information. I appreciate your post and knowledge.

Top Member Reactions