ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Hi,

I was looking at this thread about mud removing mud flaps

Braptor Mudflap Delete - Improved Look to Fenders​

What does everyone think? Has anyone else removed theirs? I have to remove the front to add the RCI rock sliders which are in transit (quicker than their lead time) and I am considering the rear. For some reason I am not sure if I want to remove the rear. I like the look but am hesitant for some reason.

Remove them? What to do.....

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Hi,

I was looking at this thread about mud removing mud flaps

Braptor Mudflap Delete - Improved Look to Fenders​

What does everyone think? Has anyone else removed theirs? I have to remove the front to add the RCI rock sliders which are in transit (quicker than their lead time) and I am considering the rear. For some reason I am not sure if I want to remove the rear. I like the look but am hesitant for some reason.

Remove them? What to do.....
Many here like the look without them, seems more those that are challenging the Raptor off-road more than... like I might. However I really like the looks of them, most vehicles mud flaps are a definite No for me, but these OEM mud flaps seem well styled and designed for our Raptors. I may look at adding a small lower piece to extend the fronts just a couple inches to omit the splash on the doors, but it can't be ugly. 🤔

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I took them off including the front bumper end caps. It does sling some water on the sides, but that still happened even with the flaps on. It just started the water line a little further back with them on. Mostly it was that I liked the look with all that off, but if I want to do some wheeling I don't have to spend the time removing all that stuff to go do it or worry about them being ripped off. I replaced the rock rails and steps with some that could actually support the vehicle weight as well. I haven't noticed any rock chips or anything on the paint since I removed them either. This one is definitely more of a preference deal than a need IMO. I also don't live where it snows a lot and there is a bunch of crap on the roads so that factored in as well.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
I agree with @Dydhrse I’ve removed all the flaps, the air dams on the front fenders and replaced OEM steps with RCI frame mount rock rails. I also have PPFed my paint.

looks way better IMHO and the side spray is just about the same as with OEM stuff all in place. I caught OEM mud flaps on rocks, but it was really bad when wheeling in deep snow. The snow seemed to want the flaps more than I did.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Rears removed some time ago. Want to remove the fronts but concerned about that much more crud being thrown at the sides…but might do it anyway. If I go there will also remove those front air dams.

To me the flaps just add ‘bulk’ to the appearance.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
I took them off including the front bumper end caps. It does sling some water on the sides, but that still happened even with the flaps on. It just started the water line a little further back with them on. Mostly it was that I liked the look with all that off, but if I want to do some wheeling I don't have to spend the time removing all that stuff to go do it or worry about them being ripped off. I replaced the rock rails and steps with some that could actually support the vehicle weight as well. I haven't noticed any rock chips or anything on the paint since I removed them either. This one is definitely more of a preference deal than a need IMO. I also don't live where it snows a lot and there is a bunch of crap on the roads so that factored in as well.
I thought that Ford represented that the OEM rock rails could support the bronco’s weight?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I thought that Ford represented that the OEM rock rails could support the bronco’s weight?
Your correct, our OEM rock rails will support the Bronco Raptor's weight, but the OEM attaching steps will not. The concern is the OEM rock rails with steps removed don't stick out from the door panel to protect it from side sliding off a rock. Same for all Bronco's with OEM rock rails. The aftermarket rock sliders stick out far enough to assist in protecting the door panels and usually offer a step that is integrated into the rock slider design.
The OEM rock rails will do the job, as seen in Lite Brite video's when they were sliding over rocks. However I myself, without any off road experience, would be in fear of damaging a door panel and would much rather have that extra safety for the body panels offered with the aftermarket rock sliders. @DdYHrse has the Metal Tech 4x4 sliders which I've read is one of the best.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Your correct, our OEM rock rails will support the Bronco Raptor's weight, but the OEM attaching steps will not. The concern is the OEM rock rails with steps removed don't stick out from the door panel to protect it from side sliding off a rock. Same for all Bronco's with OEM rock rails. The aftermarket rock sliders stick out far enough to assist in protecting the door panels and usually offer a step that is integrated into the rock slider design.
The OEM rock rails will do the job, as seen in Lite Brite video's when they were sliding over rocks. However I myself, without any off road experience, would be in fear of damaging a door panel and would much rather have that extra safety for the body panels offered with the aftermarket rock sliders. @DdYHrse has the Metal Tech 4x4 sliders which I've read is one of the best.
You definitely do not want to put the OEM steps on rocks. They will bend and get carved up.

The OEM rock rails support weight, but I never dropped hard on them. I wouldn’t want to stress test them.

….and as TurboS said, the OEM rails only protect the bottom. A good set of frame mounted rock rails with a kick out in the rear will go a long way in keeping your body intact.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
I agree with @Dydhrse I’ve removed all the flaps, the air dams on the front fenders and replaced OEM steps with RCI frame mount rock rails. I also have PPFed my paint.

looks way better IMHO and the side spray is just about the same as with OEM stuff all in place. I caught OEM mud flaps on rocks, but it was really bad when wheeling in deep snow. The snow seemed to want the flaps more than I did.
I am putting on the RCI rock rails. It came down to RCI and Metaltech. Having the Foutz main skid plate and having your experience with putting on the RCI with Foutz's trailing arm bracket made the decision easy. I am glad with my choice. They came in the other day. When I was talking with my Baja racer friend and told him the front mud flap was coming off he said the spray comes about a half way on the steps. He wasn't talking water as mentioned above. It seems water would be a different spray than dirt and rocks. So the front mud flaps aren't doing much anyway. One other interesting thing he mentioned was that he wouldn't buy the V8 even if they offered it. Too much weight. He thought the V6 was just about right.
IMG_2120.jpg

I am pretty excited about getting these on. Just back from the Off Rodeo in Vegas. I will post a pic or two. I also checked the hardware as you mentioned and they forgot the the 20 bolts to put on the top plates. Ten each. They sent them the same day, they are at the post office to be picked up. Too rural for USPS delivery.

So I just need to decide on the rear mud flaps. It seems I am moving toward removing. It is my wife who thinks they shouldn't be removed so I guess that's where my doubt comes from. I think it is gone and so are the rear flaps.

Last edited:
OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
The front and rear mud flaps are gone. I like it.

I quickly looked at the front trim pieces under the Rigid lights. It is hard to get the torx wrench supplied with the Raptor under the outside protective piece. That seemed the best wrench to remove them with the outer protective piece still on. I didn't see how the outside piece came off to give you access to the bolts to remove the plastic trim.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I am putting on the RCI rock rails. It came down to RCI and Metaltech. Having the Foutz main skid plate and having your experience with putting on the RCI with Foutz's trailing arm bracket made the decision easy. I am glad with my choice. They came in the other day. When I was talking with my Baja racer friend and told him the front mud flap was coming off he said the spray comes about a half way on the steps. He wasn't talking water as mentioned above. It seems water would be a different spray than dirt and rocks. So the front mud flaps aren't doing much anyway. One other interesting thing he mentioned was that he wouldn't buy the V8 even if they offered it. Too much weight. He thought the V6 was just about right.View attachment 11224
I am pretty excited about getting these on. Just back from the Off Rodeo in Vegas. I will post a pic or two. I also checked the hardware as you mentioned and they forgot the the 20 bolts to put on the top plates. Ten each. They sent them the same day, they are at the post office to be picked up. Too rural for USPS delivery.

So I just need to decide on the rear mud flaps. It seems I am moving toward removing. It is my wife who thinks they shouldn't be removed so I guess that's where my doubt comes from. I think it is gone and so are the rear flaps.
Nice. These look very similar mounting wise to the Metal tech ones. I am sure when you pick them up you can tell the difference and feel the protection already. HA. I am sure you could slide over a rock with the factory rock rails, but there are literally 3- 13mm bolts holding them to the vehicle body underneath. I didn't want to be in that situation to test it so I opted for piece of mind. You can see the long arms coming off of these that go straight to the frame. Time to go paint some rocks black. HAHA

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Nice. These look very similar mounting wise to the Metal tech ones. I am sure when you pick them up you can tell the difference and feel the protection already. HA. I am sure you could slide over a rock with the factory rock rails, but there are literally 3- 13mm bolts holding them to the vehicle body underneath. I didn't want to be in that situation to test it so I opted for piece of mind. You can see the long arms coming off of these that go straight to the frame. Time to go paint some rocks black. HAHA
They are surprising heavy. i felt it in my back just bringing them in when they arrived. Once they are on we can see what we can do about those rocks...haha. I l like the piece of mind as well. It only takes once.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
The front and rear mud flaps are gone. I like it.

I quickly looked at the front trim pieces under the Rigid lights. It is hard to get the torx wrench supplied with the Raptor under the outside protective piece. That seemed the best wrench to remove them with the outer protective piece still on. I didn't see how the outside piece came off to give you access to the bolts to remove the plastic trim.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
I just took the bumper ends off and then removed the “air dam”

my notes from an earlier post…

”I think you have to take the bumper ends all the way off to remove it (4 clips to remove a cover on the back which reveals three bolts to remove the dam)”

The bumper ends are a pretty easy on and off, but the three biggest tricks to taking those off were….

1. Had to use vise grips or remove front plastic painter trim under grill to get top outside bumper “bronco” bolt off. The trim piece which is wider on the Raptor hans over the bolt top. I replaced with a standard black bolt for future ease.
2. Moving your steering to full lock opens up tons of space to work on the hardest bolt holding on bumper ends that is up inside at top of the end. With full lock you can sit in the fender well to get to it.
3. When re-assembling put that hard to get to inside bolt in first. It can fall down inside your light assembly forcing you to remove the bumper end to retrieve it. I learned this the old fashioned way….

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Finished the job this morning by removing the front mud flaps as well as the air dams on the front bumper. Fingers crossed that I don't end up regretting removing the front flaps and have to reinstall due to crud/damage to the doors. But for now I do prefer the appearance as it just looks more agile, less bulky.

1702656662667.png

1702656690164.png

One thing I did when I removed the rear flaps was to cover the fastening holes back up with the plastic plugs as to keep them free of debris. But I learned with the front flaps that trying to replace the fasteners with the ones I just pulled out wasn't going to work as they wouldn't go back in fully seated and rather sat loosely. So I purchased some replacement ones on Amazon and they worked perfectly to keep everything buttoned up:

1702656105756.png

The air dam was relatively straightforward as I didn't remove the end caps. When I changed out a pair of the Rigid lights months ago I learned how to simply remove the plastic cover as well as turning the wheel in the direction of the side I'm working on to create enough space to get back behind there to work. From there it's a matter of backing out 3 T30 Bolts and then reinstalling the plastic cover. The far inside bolt is the hardest to access given the limited space between it and the crash-bar mount but I was able to use a small T30 bit from my toolbox along with the Bronco Ratchet tool. There's a fair amount of blue loctite on those bolts so they can be a little annoying to work all the way out. After removing the air dam, I replaced the bolts to protect against debris in case I decide to reinstall as well as make sure I don't lose them :). Then just put the cover plate back on and move on to the rest of my day.

1702656711218.png

Raining today so just took pics from inside the garage. Will try to remember to take some outside and provide before/after views later.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Thank you @JohnGalt and @DallasCajun you information is very helpful: I will look at it tomorrow and I ordered some plastic fender flare plugs.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Thank you @JohnGalt and @DallasCajun you information is very helpful: I will look at it tomorrow and I ordered some plastic fender flare plugs.
Spray pattern after 30 miles of hooning around in mixed snow and dirt road yesterday. No flaps, no air dams, RCI sliders. Frankly the spray pattern doesn’t look much different than when it was stock.
IMG_9881.jpeg

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Spray pattern after 30 miles of hooning around in mixed snow and dirt road yesterday. No flaps, no air dams, RCI sliders. Frankly the spray pattern doesn’t look much different than when it was stock.

I noticed that the spray pattern pretty much matches that of non-Raptor models. If you take a close look the Sasquatch versions don't have mudflaps (much less rails/step rails) and therefore have the same gap. The key difference is that the BRaptor has a wider track/tire width and greater potential for debris being sprayed across the side panels.

Top Member Reactions