Backlit LED Pod Lights - Using with DRL

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I’m in the process of ordering a Light Bar and Pod Lights and have it narrowed down to a few options on each. But going through the selection I’ve also been thinking about my wiring, aux switches and actual switch use. After watching a couple of videos where I saw people connect the amber ‘drl’ function of the light into the DRL of the vehicle so the backlights come on with the vehicle drl and not requiring the manual activation of a switch (upfitter).

Has anyone here done something similar? Any better practices of how/where to tap into the DRL power?

Jhruzek

Jul 26, 2023
Gallery
Houston
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
I had the Quake trail sight delete that used the drl of the Bronco to light up and also used the turn signal input. The lights came with the appropriate wiring harness and did not require any wires to be cut or tapped. Just make sure the wiring harness is plug n play.

OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Thanks. Been doing a bunch of searching tonight and came across a number of threads on 6G with the various wiring diagrams…but that mostly just confused me. Until i came across this harness from SPV:

SPV Parts Harness System Bronco (& Bronco Raptor) Parking/Headlight Connector Adapter (Powers Aftermarket Backlights w/ Parking/Markers)

Now I just need to decide on which option to go with. Diode Dynamics 30” Combo Beam Bar on order from 4x4TruckLEDs already (Amber). Now looking at options from Baja, Diode Dynamics, Morisot, M&R and Strand. Some have backlight options, some don’t. Also need to decide on beam pattern…Combo or Flood. Will be placed on the A-Pillar so think Flood is the standard but also considering for back country roads where deer and other animals find their way in your path from time to time.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I went with Baja Designs for the 50" S8 roof mount with amber back light. I did not wire the back light direct to the DRL's and put them on Aux 4. I see why you would want to do this, but I also wanted the option of being bale to control that on it's own. If they are connected to the DRL with the back light function then if you put on the parking lamps or the actual lights are on won't that turn off the back light function at that point? Just a question since if they would only work basically when the sun is out then I feel like you are missing out on some cool look options with it on it's own switch. The downside is you lose a 10 amp switch. I am full up anyway on all my switches so I am thinking switchpod next anyway. There are a lot of great options out there that look great on these things.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 29
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
My thinking is that anytime the DRLs are on then the Pod Backlight would be on as well. Basically looking to mimic the functionality of the DRLs without any manual intervention and I'm pretty sure I'd never manually activate the backlight function if I hook up to an aux switch.

Johnny Rebel

Jul 11, 2023
Gallery
LA
Current Ride
Bronco Big Bend
Current Ride #2
Bronco Raptor
The backlights on my BD LP4's and LP6's are basically invisible in the daytime. They look good at night, though.

Top Member Reactions