Dometic 55IM and rear security enclosure

Obiwan

Mar 4, 2023
Gallery
Southwest
Current Ride
Raptor
Hello everyone,

I have been looking at rear enclosures (Tufffy, Diabolical, etc) and slides and I have the Dometic 55im and was not sure the distance between the enclosure and the rear gate and if I can squeeze that in there, especially with a slide raising it higher. Really hate having expensive gear in the back without some type of enclosure though, especially with warm weather and top off. I realize with that cooler you can't open the lid without sliding it out or turning it sideways because it is side open and would hit the lid of the enclosure. Just not sure it can even clear the lid and if the height of the 55 (19.5"), especially with a slide adding height can even fit underneath it when closed up and locked. I would assume that you may need to raise the lid and then slide the cooler out but I am not sure it can even clear the deck cover when pushed back in.

My understanding is that Dometic 35's fit fine but they are tiny and hold very little for a longer excursion, plus I already have the 55.

So after a lot of back and forth with folks who have various versions and a long discussion with very detailed information from Alan at Diabolic I am going with the Slipstream and the full slide floor. Slick setup and got to look at the new 500lb floor system and some of the improvements on the newer slipstream version as well.

Once installed I will post up pics highlighting functions and the disadvantages. Such as crossmember /support interference, and more that will obviously be an issue with Raptors. Probably two weeks out.

Pics attached for others reference on the 55IM sizing.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5232.jpg
    IMG_5232.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5226.jpg
    IMG_5226.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5227.jpg
    IMG_5227.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5229.jpg
    IMG_5229.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5231.jpg
    IMG_5231.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Magic

Aug 13, 2022
Gallery
Fredericksburg, Texas
Current Ride
2012 Ford F150
Current Ride #2
2021 MME GT-PE
Actually got it before I got my Bronco. If fits and works great in my F-150. I was wondering if I would need to look at the CFX3-45 to work better in the back of the BRaptor.

OP
Obiwan

Obiwan

Mar 4, 2023
Gallery
Southwest
Current Ride
Raptor
Ok, so install of the Diabolical slipstream is time consuming. Especially if you're very particular in terms of alignment, want a no squeak /rattle install, and don't want to do anything twice. There is a lot of hardware to install.

Took me about 6 hrs taking my time and addressing any fitment concerns along the way. There is no manual, it's a 1.5 hour long youtube video so prepare yourself for that.

It's a very well engineered system, clearly took some time to get this created.
I got the newer slide 2.0 and the newer slipstream, so I have the rotating handles on the top panels of the slipstream and the heavier gauge slides that can manage 4-500 lbs is my understanding. The rear most section of the slide needs to be unbolted in order to access the jack or storage compartment. I wish the slides allowed for it to simply pull out further as this is a hassle if you need to empty the rack to access the bolts to remove the rear section to just be able to lift the storage compartment lid. MY understanding is the more heavy duty slides used prohibited this.

It's a pretty kick ass slide though, uses basically all of the trunk space, will still allow for factory storage access, and will clear a tailgate table.

I have read a lot of folks talking about the rattles and using bungee cords and misc things to yank on the hitch pins that hold the top and front plate of the slipstream. Here's the secret to a rattle free setup, use rubber heatshrink on the pins. Keep it a tad long so that it protrudes past the pin about an 1/8 of an inch and double layer it. The pin is a tighter fit this way, does not move, and the rattle, which is mainly generated by the side of the clip that attaches once installed is completely buffered by rubber and makes ZERO noise now. You're welcome.

For the front fold down panel I could not get the top pins to fit with the rubber so I actually went to a slightly smaller diameter hitch pin and then rubber wrapped and it worked great.
Also I used multiple layers of 3m rubber heatshrink on the latches under the top panels. Stacking until I got the proper snug fit was the key. About three layers on average. One particular corner required four.

The issue with the Raptor and this kit is that the support bar hits the rearmost panel so it can not lean far enough back when opened to stay up on it's own. Hugely annoying. I made a prop out of some stainless rod I had on hand. Rubber wrapped the ends so no metal on metal contact and also made it less likely to rattle about depending on where I stashed it when not in use. Works great.

The Dometic CFX 55IM with full cover fits spot on. Has about a 1/4" of room on top and about 3" of play front to back. Unfortunately with the cover on it does not fit on the driver side, only passenger. With no cover I think it would just fit on drivers side, if you have a preference. As many others have mentioned on various forums the components are very well packaged. Everything arrived in perfect condition, extra hardware included in case you lose any bits during install, and Alan the owner is very responsive and helpful. American, family owned company, American made parts, well engineered and excellent customer service. There are cheaper alternatives out there but the quality, fit and finish, support, and modularity make this setup top tier in my opinion.

Pictures for your perusal.

Attachments

• IMG_5500.jpg
    IMG_5500.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5485.jpg
    IMG_5485.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5482.jpg
    IMG_5482.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5478.jpg
    IMG_5478.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5477.jpg
    IMG_5477.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 70509136033__F0C40CDD-FD0F-41B5-B094-501EE38C59FB.jpg
    70509136033__F0C40CDD-FD0F-41B5-B094-501EE38C59FB.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5475.jpg
    IMG_5475.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5473.jpg
    IMG_5473.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5468.jpg
    IMG_5468.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5501.jpg
    IMG_5501.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 39

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Very nice write up and pictures. Posts like this make the forum way more useful (at least to me!). Thanks for taking the time!

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Nice. I have the exact same set-up as you with the gen 1 slide floor. That sucks about having to un-bolt something to get to the storage compartment underneath. On mine I can just push the unlock tabs down and it will unlock to slide forward and clear them. They also won't hold 4-500 pounds either though. Looks good. I will definitely need to follow that pin advice with the heat shrink.

OP
Obiwan

Obiwan

Mar 4, 2023
Gallery
Southwest
Current Ride
Raptor
Nice. I have the exact same set-up as you with the gen 1 slide floor. That sucks about having to un-bolt something to get to the storage compartment underneath. On mine I can just push the unlock tabs down and it will unlock to slide forward and clear them. They also won't hold 4-500 pounds either though. Looks good. I will definitely need to follow that pin advice with the heat shrink.
It's a really nice setup and I love that there is no loss of side to side cargo space what so ever unlike the Ford/Tuffy system and that you don't have to drill into the rear deck or lose your access to floor storage or pass through storage. Mainly I feel a lot more secure with taking the top off now and leaving the rig alone and not wondering what might be missing when I get back.

Top Member Reactions