how low can you go? with the tire pressure on a non-beadlock capable tire!

OP
xandao72

xandao72

Apr 22, 2023
Gallery
North Andover, MA
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
that was an excellent article El Chorizo, thanks . I'm not gonna be dropping below 20 PSI anytime soon!

El Chorizo

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 1, 2021
Austin, TX
I drove around on the tires with about 25 PSI normally and would deflate them to 16 while at the track. Drive it home and fill them back up... I didn't carry anything special with me.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Here’s a picture of what 10 PSI looks like on a non-beadlock rim in deep frozen ruts in deep deep snow….

It took about an hour and a half to dig out enough room to get a jack on recovery boards and space to remove and replace the wheel/tire. About another hour fooling around getting the wheel off and spare on. The wheel/tire is heavy and trying to line up the wheel with lugs while it’s sitting down in a rut is not as easy as one might think!

I own beadlocks now…

IMG_5715.jpeg
IMG_5714.jpeg

El Chorizo

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 1, 2021
Austin, TX
Ouch, looks like a headache. Was that 10psi before the snow or after the freezing temps? Tire pressure will drop with temperature drop too. So if you started at 12 and then got into the snow could be down to 8psi! :)

Also, love your username. My favorite book.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Ouch, looks like a headache. Was that 10psi before the snow or after the freezing temps? Tire pressure will drop with temperature drop too. So if you started at 12 and then got into the snow could be down to 8psi! :)

Also, love your username. My favorite book.
Went down to 10 psi after a mile or two in the snow. Not much change in elevation between the air down point and the lost bead location.

I’ve gotten away with it before, but the high walled rick solid ruts are less kind than fresh powder.

El Chorizo

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 1, 2021
Austin, TX
Ahh I didn't even think about altitude changing the pressure. Just a temp change. Most of my knowledge doesn't come from off-roading but from drag racing. Air pressure will rise after a burnout and the air in the tires is nice and hot. Will be much lower when cool.

Top Member Reactions