Opinions on Bronco Raptor Recovery

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
I really like this Channel and some others like them as they help people out and enjoy doing it.

Now with that being said, I know everyone has their opinion (always better when you're not there right) and was wondering how other felt about this recovery.

I personally, as the owner, would have asked to start with the tow points up front and not the A-arm. Or going ahead and starting it would have been a big no way for me until I pulled some plugs and at least oil fluid.

Like I said don't take this the wrong way. I this all of these people do an incredible job helping individuals out at any time of the day. 👍🏻👊🏻

So what's everyone else think?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
As tough and capable our Bronco Raptors are, nothing is indestructible. This is a good example to why you need your own proper off-road recovery gear, including a winch, and preferably travel with another similarly equipped vehicle..

My opinion, based on this short 10 minute video.
The good, they finally hooked to the front recovery points and lifted over the underwater obstacle, unfortunately after pulling on a suspension component thereby risking damage.
The Bad, everything else, if there was bent tie-rod, or any other component, it's a good chance it was due to pulling on the control arm. He even said "need to hook to something solid", that's the recovery points mounted directly to the frame, Not the suspension!
Very common that the vehicle recovery/tow truck drivers cause the majority of the damage to the vehicle. From what I've witnessed, they do what's easiest for them without any other consideration, except maybe safety.
I also would Not have tried to start the engine without extensive checks for water... everywhere! At minimal, pull the intercooler hoses for signs of moisture. There was water in the air filter box, that was their Warning!

Repairable, usually are, 100%..?? hopefully, but could have been avoided.

stumpm2

Founding Member
Jun 10, 2022
Gallery
Rockies
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 F350 Tremor, 1967 Ford Bronco
I think they picked from the A-arm first to have a better angle on pulling up to break suction. The tow points on the Bronco are strong, but the support structure behind is designed for pulling horizontally. The structure behind will not support lifting the weight of the Bronco straight up and will bend. These guys are very experienced and the A-arms are used to pull out a lot of cars that were not built for off-road durability.

OP
SteelBronco

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
It'd be nice if the owner was a member on here, then we could have a first hand account of everything. That is if they wanted to talk about it. I personally would be sick my stomach and a little embarrassed. That's just how I get though!

I also wondered if thinking the motor was hydrolocked they already accepted the Bronco Raptor as a loss. From here they had an I don't care attitude on recovery. I honestly have no idea and just wondered how I would handle the same situation.....I mean after I got done 🤮 from being sick of what happened!

Top Member Reactions