Parking Lamps Activation & Autolamps

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Question: does anyone know how to draw power from the DRL circuit instead of the Parking/Marker Light circuit?

So I’ve Installed Pod & Lightbars that have backlight functions and really like the look. When installing I used the SPV Bronco Raptor Parking/Headlight Connector Adapter which draws power from the Parking/Side Marker lights. What I’ve come to realize is that by having my headlights set to Autolamp (Setting C from below) the backlighting of the Pods/Bar aren’t activated when driving. But when I manually turn on the parking or headlamps (B or D below) the marker circuit is powered and therefore the backlighting is activated.

1700626876008.png

I was thinking that the SPV would draw power from the DRL circuit and therefore anytime the DRLs are active (incl in Autolamp mode) then the Pods/Bar would be backlit. Obviously I wasn’t paying close enough attention when I read the description for the Adapter when I purchased it. I’m going to try to connect with SPV after the holidays but wondering if anyone here might be able to give me a head start. It may be as simple as moving a pin on the adapter but not something that I’m prepared to experiment on without some good background knowledge.

A simple answer is to just manually switch the lights on as opposed to Autolamp but I’m so used to having headlamps turn on automatically from all of my previous vehicles over the last 10ish years that I’m certain to forget to turn them on on a regular basis.

OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
So I did some additional testing this morning to make sure I understand that specific conditions in which the Parking/Marker lights are powered on and when they turn off. I cycled through the 4 light settings (Off, Parking, Autolamp, On) when in the sunlight and in darker conditions (in both Park and Drive). Besides the 'Off' position, the Parking/Marker lights are powered on in all conditions other than when in the "Autolamps On" position and decent light (therefore headlamps are off).

What this means is that anytime driving in daylight conditions and the Headlight Switch is set to "Autolamps On" the Parking/Market (and therefore Pod/Bat Backlighting) will be off. In dark/night conditions and the Headlight Switch set to "Autolamps On" the Parking/Marker/Backlight will be on as well. The DRL are on all of the time except for when the Headlight Switch is turned to "Lamps Off".

Here are the 8 Conditions:
Light ConditionHeadlamp Switch SettingHeadlamp On/OffParking/Backlighting On/Off
DaylightLamps offOffOff
DaylightParking lamps onOffOn
DaylightAutolamps onOffOff
DaylightHeadlamps onOnOn
Dark/NightLamps offOffOff
Dark/NightParking lamps onOffOn
Dark/NightAutolamps onOnOn
Dark/NightHeadlamps onOnOn

I'd prefer for the Pod/Bar Backlights to be on when the DRLs are powered as opposed to the Parking/Marker lights. Some options are:
  • Power with a Fuse Tap, but then I lose ability to turn off when I want
  • Use an open Aux switch and just keep it activated all the time; can turn off if I choose. Not the worst option but would prefer something a little more 'automated'.

So if anyone knows how to access the DRL power circuit I'm all ears. I'll also call SPV to see if there's a way to realign the pins of the adapter (or just make a custom one). The thought also occurred to me that the current setup might no go through any fuse relay, so another consideration that I may need to place one in line with the headlamp adapter.

Johnny Mo

Nov 20, 2023
Gallery
Westchester County, NY
Current Ride
23 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
16 Ducati XDiavel
So I did some additional testing this morning to make sure I understand that specific conditions in which the Parking/Marker lights are powered on and when they turn off. I cycled through the 4 light settings (Off, Parking, Autolamp, On) when in the sunlight and in darker conditions (in both Park and Drive). Besides the 'Off' position, the Parking/Marker lights are powered on in all conditions other than when in the "Autolamps On" position and decent light (therefore headlamps are off).

What this means is that anytime driving in daylight conditions and the Headlight Switch is set to "Autolamps On" the Parking/Market (and therefore Pod/Bat Backlighting) will be off. In dark/night conditions and the Headlight Switch set to "Autolamps On" the Parking/Marker/Backlight will be on as well. The DRL are on all of the time except for when the Headlight Switch is turned to "Lamps Off".

Here are the 8 Conditions:
Light ConditionHeadlamp Switch SettingHeadlamp On/OffParking/Backlighting On/Off
DaylightLamps offOffOff
DaylightParking lamps onOffOn
DaylightAutolamps onOffOff
DaylightHeadlamps onOnOn
Dark/NightLamps offOffOff
Dark/NightParking lamps onOffOn
Dark/NightAutolamps onOnOn
Dark/NightHeadlamps onOnOn

I'd prefer for the Pod/Bar Backlights to be on when the DRLs are powered as opposed to the Parking/Marker lights. Some options are:
  • Power with a Fuse Tap, but then I lose ability to turn off when I want
  • Use an open Aux switch and just keep it activated all the time; can turn off if I choose. Not the worst option but would prefer something a little more 'automated'.

So if anyone knows how to access the DRL power circuit I'm all ears. I'll also call SPV to see if there's a way to realign the pins of the adapter (or just make a custom one). The thought also occurred to me that the current setup might no go through any fuse relay, so another consideration that I may need to place one in line with the headlamp adapter.
I used Forscan to activate my marker lamps in the day time when DRL's are on and headlamps set to auto. Not sure if that helps your quest, but it sounds like you are still looking for the DRL circuit to tap into. Separately, I ran my Flex Era 4s off 2 Aux switches, 1 for lamps, 1 for backlighting. Most of the time I run the covers on anyway for protection but I also have a set of clear covers but I wanted the option to turn on/off myself. I have enough Aux switches to run what I've added and I can always change it down the road.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I used Forscan to activate my marker lamps in the day time when DRL's are on and headlamps set to auto. Not sure if that helps your quest, but it sounds like you are still looking for the DRL circuit to tap into. Separately, I ran my Flex Era 4s off 2 Aux switches, 1 for lamps, 1 for backlighting. Most of the time I run the covers on anyway for protection but I also have a set of clear covers but I wanted the option to turn on/off myself. I have enough Aux switches to run what I've added and I can always change it down the road.
This sounds like the Solution! (y) Did you use Forscan Lite or need to use Forscan for Windows?

OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

Top Member Reactions