Gallery
East TN
Military
US ARMY
Current Ride
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Current Ride #2
2002 BMW 1150RT
I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles. When the tech removed the skid plate there was a very small amount of an unknown fluid collected in the plate. He had me come back and look at it before he drained the oil. I observed a light amount of fluid on the bottom of the electric power steering pump. I do not know that much about electric steering pumps but was told it was a sealed unit and you can't add fluid to them. They wiped the fluid off the electric pump and inside the skid plate and continued with the oil change. They told me I would have to make an appointment to have it checked by a higher level technician. I was not too concerned with it and continued driving it and took it in on November 5th to be checked. Everything was dry and there was no further evidence of any fluid. The technician believed they may have spilled a small about of some fluid when filling it up at the factory and failed to clean it all up.

I wanted to put this info out there in case anyone else has this issue. I am currently at about 4,000 miles and no leak of any kind. I feel it was just a spill from the factory like the tech stated.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles. When the tech removed the skid plate there was a very small amount of an unknown fluid collected in the plate. He had me come back and look at it before he drained the oil. I observed a light amount of fluid on the bottom of the electric power steering pump. I do not know that much about electric steering pumps but was told it was a sealed unit and you can't add fluid to them. They wiped the fluid off the electric pump and inside the skid plate and continued with the oil change. They told me I would have to make an appointment to have it checked by a higher level technician. I was not too concerned with it and continued driving it and took it in on November 5th to be checked. Everything was dry and there was no further evidence of any fluid. The technician believed they may have spilled a small about of some fluid when filling it up at the factory and failed to clean it all up.

I wanted to put this info out there in case anyone else has this issue. I am currently at about 4,000 miles and no leak of any kind. I feel it was just a spill from the factory like the tech stated.
Thank you for posting, I hope to change the oil for the 1st time soon, I'll be checking using a white paper towel.

szabo_martin

Nov 22, 2022
Canada
Current Ride
Denali HD
Current Ride #2
Bronco Raptor
Is the oil pan on these plastic? I saw the Raptor on the lift video with the skid plate removed and it looked like plastic

OP
BRVOL

BRVOL

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
East TN
Military
US ARMY
Current Ride
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Current Ride #2
2002 BMW 1150RT
Is the oil pan on these plastic? I saw the Raptor on the lift video with the skid plate removed and it looked like plastic
I am pretty sure it is. It looked like plastic.

RPTR2#

Jan 27, 2023
Gallery
Western Washington
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
1972 Bronco restoration / 55 F100 restoration

Thanks for your post. We had the same issue just as you detailed it at 1000 mile oil change. Plan to check it next week to see if it occurred again.

Top Member Reactions