Problem with exhaust modes.

Mehmet

May 18, 2024
NY
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
My Ford dealer installed my new Bronco Raptor exhaust, made by Borla. When it was installed, the engine light turned on, and exhaust modes were no longer available. I contacted Borla support, and they sent me a recalibrating tool that you can plug into the valves, which I did and recalibrated them. The engine light is gone, and now the exhaust modes are back but there is not a little bit of difference when i switch exhaust modes. From quiet mode to baja or sport there is no difference in sound at all. What should I do?

When you toggle your exhaust modes, do you see the exhaust mode Icon change in the dash?

I found that when one (it only took one to cause both to fail) of my valve actuator electrical connections was loose (large branch broke the plug clip) that my exhaust modes didn’t work and the icon in the dash disappeared or didn’t move (now I can’t remember which! I’m getting old).

once I secured the plug together with a zip tie they worked and been flawless for the 9 months since that happened.

Not sure this will help, but it might get you closer to the problem.. Good luck 🤞

When you toggle your exhaust modes, do you see the exhaust mode Icon change in the dash?

I found that when one (it only took one to cause both to fail) of my valve actuator electrical connections was loose (large branch broke the plug clip) that my exhaust modes didn’t work and the icon in the dash disappeared or didn’t move (now I can’t remember which! I’m getting old).

once I secured the plug together with a zip tie they worked and been flawless for the 9 months since that happened.

Not sure this will help, but it might get you closer to the problem.. Good luck 🤞
Thank you for the response, yea the exhaust modes were gone but now that I used the recalibration tool and plugged in the cables again they are there. I have a feeling the calibration tool had nothing to do with fixing the issue i feel as if the cable was loose. But the issue im having now is that the sound doesnt change when i change exhaust modes.

I recently installed the Borla exhaust, there is a very distinctive difference in sound even at idle, more so than our stock exhaust. I've only had the chance to drive it once since install, everything worked fine, but when I backed up to the garage door I attempted to switch exhaust modes and I received the popup error "exhaust mode selection not available" or something like that. Once it cooled for about 10 minutes in the gararge I heard the exhaust valves return to "Normal" mode. I started it up and all modes where available and worked fine. I reported the problem to Borla, they advised me that it's the valve's degree of rotation is off by a value greater than 1% compared to the OEM exhaust and Borla recommends I take it to a Ford dealer to have a "relearn procedure on the exhaust valves". Borla mentioned to me that there was another case experiencing something similar. I recommend you call Borla again, or take to your Ford dealer who installed the system for you and have them call Borla for resolution.

Borla referred me to Ford TSB 22-2388. The last line on the last page of this TSB describes the process.
"7. Using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS), download and run the PCM - Exhaust Tailpipe Actuator
Position Relearn app to relearn exhaust tailpipe actuator positioning."

I also have the Whipple tune installed, therefore I have a question into Whipple if this relearn will conflict with the Whipple tune. Worst case, I'll return to factory tune, have exhaust relearn performed at dealer, then reinstall the Whipple tune.

Below is my Raptor's 1st start with the Borla exhaust, starts in Normal mode, 10 seconds in I switch to Sport. In the follow short rev burps you can here the difference in Normal, Sport, and Baja which is very similar to Sport but with a deeper (lower frequency) sound.

I recently installed the Borla exhaust, there is a very distinctive difference in sound even at idle, more so than our stock exhaust. I've only had the chance to drive it once since install, everything worked fine, but when I backed up to the garage door I attempted to switch exhaust modes and I received the popup error "exhaust mode selection not available" or something like that. Once it cooled for about 10 minutes in the gararge I heard the exhaust valves return to "Normal" mode. I started it up and all modes where available to worked fine. I reported the problem to Borla, they advised me that it's the valve's degree of rotation is off by a value greater than 1% compared to the OEM exhaust and Borla recommends I take it to a Ford dealer to have a "relearn procedure on the exhaust valves". Borla mentioned to me that there was another case experiencing something similiar. I recommend you call Borla again, or take to your Ford dealer who installed the system for you and have them call Borla for resolution.

Borla referred me to Ford TSB 22-2388. The last line on the last page of this TSB describes the process.
"7. Using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS), download and run the PCM - Exhaust Tailpipe Actuator
Position Relearn app to relearn exhaust tailpipe actuator positioning."

I also have the Whipple tune installed, therefore I have a question into Whipple if this relearn will conflict with the Whipple tune. Worst case, I'll return to factory tune, have exhaust relearn performed at dealer, then reinstall the Whipple tune.

Below is my Raptor's 1st start with the Borla exhaust, starts in Normal mode, 10 seconds in I switch to Sport. In the follow short rev burps you can here the difference in Normal, Sport, and Baja which is very similar to Sport but with a deeper (lower frequency) sound.
Thank you I really appreciate the time you put into helping me. It seems that the relearning tool they sent me was just a plastic tool with a questionable red button on it. When I used the tool it turned the valves, it didn't seem to do much. Now, every time I unlock my car, it makes a loud calibrating sound, which is pretty annoying. What's really weird is that when I key start the car, the exhaust feature is there, but when I start the car via the button, the option is not there. Also, my exhaust doesn't sound like yours; it sounds like it's stuck in baja mode all the time. When I accelerate, the back of my car at my exhaust sounds like a loud fan. Additionally, my valves are totally not working because when I was under the car and had someone change exhaust modes, the valves didn't move at all, unlike during the relearning process. What I find pretty funny is that me and you had the same odd problem when I back up the car at the most random time the exhaust modes become unavailable. Also if you get the whipple tune I would appreciate hearing your feedback as I have the same question as you. Thank you for the time you put into your response!

Thank you I really appreciate the time you put into helping me. It seems that the relearning tool they sent me was just a plastic tool with a questionable red button on it. When I used the tool it turned the valves, it didn't seem to do much. Now, every time I unlock my car, it makes a loud calibrating sound, which is pretty annoying. What's really weird is that when I key start the car, the exhaust feature is there, but when I start the car via the button, the option is not there. Also, my exhaust doesn't sound like yours; it sounds like it's stuck in baja mode all the time. When I accelerate, the back of my car at my exhaust sounds like a loud fan. Additionally, my valves are totally not working because when I was under the car and had someone change exhaust modes, the valves didn't move at all, unlike during the relearning process. What I find pretty funny is that me and you had the same odd problem when I back up the car at the most random time the exhaust modes become unavailable. Also if you get the whipple tune I would appreciate hearing your feedback as I have the same question as you. Thank you for the time you put into your response!
Whipple and Borla support both confirmed that the Ford dealer will need to update the Bronco Raptor PCM to the latest software (tune), then perform the valve relearning with the Ford FDRS PCM - Exhaust Tailpipe Actuator Position Relearn app, once completed then I can re-install my Whipple tune.
I hope to test drive my Bronco Raptor this week and the issue doesn't reoccur, however I'm seldom that lucky. Now you mentioned the reverse occurrence, I will initially test without placing into reverse (currently backed into garage), if it doesn't duplicate I will try to change exhaust modes again after reversing.
Key start? are you referring to depressing the dash start button vs the remote start feature on the keyfob? Reason asking is that there are several feature not available when remote starting with the keyfob, however they should all return once the keyfob is inside the Raptor and the dash start button is depressed. I recommend taking back to the Ford dealer, sounds like a few things are confused on your Bronco Raptor that only your Ford installing dealer can resolved using their FDRS system.

Thanks for the updates, I am getting ready to have my Borla exhaust installed next week. I will let you know how it goes.

My Bronco Raptor exhaust mode selection issue is resolved. The installer (myself) didn't have the OEM exhaust valve actuator bolt properly tightened. I snugged it down but didn't really tighten as I was concerned at install time with potentially cracking the plastic/composite actuator with over tightening. So, once the Borla exhaust was Hot, something moved within the actuator vicinity resulting in the following error.

IMG_7457.jpeg

Now the actuator bolt has been properly tightened all the exhaust modes function as intended and I'm Loving this Borla exhaust, best mod yet on my Bronco Raptor. Borla customer support has been excellent with assisting me through to this resolution.

Below is the proper torque, pic taken from the Ford Bronco Raptor service manual referenced by my VIN #.

IMG_7306.jpeg

Thanks Turbo, Mine is getting installed today, great input.

Mine was installed on Friday, it sounds awesome, and the accelerator seems more responsive.
All the exhaust actuator is working well.
highly recommend.

Attachments

• 060224.jpg
    060224.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 060224a.jpg
    060224a.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 060224a.jpb.jpg
    060224a.jpb.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 11
Back