RCI sliders finally on (5 degree). Mud get in bracket?

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Hi Everyone, I finally got my RCI sliders on. Foutz motorsports put them on for me as I was going to get some lights and such plus if I don't have to I would rather do it in a shop and not ask a friend and do it in their shop. We didn't have time for the lights. That is just fine I will probably them myself. Again, I want to thank @JohnGalt for the great summaries Parts 1 and 2 regarding the installation of the RCI sliders and making them fit with Foutz's lower arm protection guards.

They look great and are as solid as a rock. I am pleases wth the purchase and install. I like that they extend a perhaps five inches longer than the OEM steps at the front since the mud flaps have been removed.

A couple of questions @JohnGalt. It is not clear with you pictures how much you cut from the wheel well liners. Here is a couple of pictures of what we did. It seems mud will get caught in the the bracket and the bottom of the door just above the pinch welds. You may have cut less of the liner off; however, it still seems mud and water and such would get in there. I don't think it is a big issue over all. As well, It seems you should be able to blow it out towards the wheel well out of the bracket so it doesn't go any further.
Any issues so for?

The other thing I noticed is the truck does seem heavier. I think I may have bottomed out the front suspension. I am not sure if I lightly hit the suspension stoppers or not. I heard a knock. I was perhaps over thinking it but the truck does seem like there is weight under the doors. They are much heavier that the OEM steps so that makes sense. I am sure I will forget about it shortly. just new to me. Did you notice the weight at first?

Thanks John for any feedback. I like the look, the better clearance and the protection. All good.

IMG_2826jpeg2.jpg
IMG_2827 jpeg1.jpg
IMG_2836jpeg3.jpg
IMG_2833jpeg4.jpg
IMG_2835jpeg5.jpg

IMG_2829 2jpeg11.jpg

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Hi Everyone, I finally got my RCI sliders on. Foutz motorsports put them on for me as I was going to get some lights and such plus if I don't have to I would rather do it in a shop and not ask a friend and do it in their shop. We didn't have time for the lights. That is just fine I will probably them myself. Again, I want to thank @JohnGalt for the great summaries Parts 1 and 2 regarding the installation of the RCI sliders and making them fit with Foutz's lower arm protection guards.

They look great and are as solid as a rock. I am pleases wth the purchase and install. I like that they extend a perhaps five inches longer than the OEM steps at the front since the mud flaps have been removed.

A couple of questions @JohnGalt. It is not clear with you pictures how much you cut from the wheel well liners. Here is a couple of pictures of what we did. It seems mud will get caught in the the bracket and the bottom of the door just above the pinch welds. You may have cut less of the liner off; however, it still seems mud and water and such would get in there. I don't think it is a big issue over all. As well, It seems you should be able to blow it out towards the wheel well out of the bracket so it doesn't go any further.
Any issues so for?

The other thing I noticed is the truck does seem heavier. I think I may have bottomed out the front suspension. I am not sure if I lightly hit the suspension stoppers or not. I heard a knock. I was perhaps over thinking it but the truck does seem like there is weight under the doors. They are much heavier that the OEM steps so that makes sense. I am sure I will forget about it shortly. just new to me. Did you notice the weight at first?

Thanks John for any feedback. I like the look, the better clearance and the protection. All good.
I actually forgot about the fender liners, I never got around to cutting them….yet. So I don’t have any good feedback there. But no issues observed.

As far as extra weight, I doubt the RCI sliders net of the OEM Rails and steps weight added even 100 lbs. if this alone would be a problem carrying passengers and cargo would be a major issue.

you’ve added a number of goodies lately, but so have I (rear bumper, winch, winch plate, sliders, diff cover, shock and bracket skids). I haven’t felt like I’m bottoming out my more truck often, it happens from time to time but there’s a good reason when it does. @ChiliPepper may have thoughts to add as a fellow RCI slider (and other add on weight items) owner.

As for that knock, you’ve added a lot of goodies, maybe something isn’t tight and you got a little shift on something. Probably makes sense to crawl under the truck and check all the bolts at some point anyway. Im going to do this as well soon now that I’m thinking about it.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
I actually forgot about the fender liners, I never got around to cutting them….yet. So I don’t have any good feedback there. But no issues observed.

As far as extra weight, I doubt the RCI sliders net of the OEM Rails and steps weight added even 100 lbs. if this alone would be a problem carrying passengers and cargo would be a major issue.

you’ve added a number of goodies lately, but so have I (rear bumper, winch, winch plate, sliders, diff cover, shock and bracket skids). I haven’t felt like I’m bottoming out my more truck often, it happens from time to time but there’s a good reason when it does. @ChiliPepper may have thoughts to add as a fellow RCI slider (and other add on weight items) owner.

As for that knock, you’ve added a lot of goodies, maybe something isn’t tight and you got a little shift on something. Probably makes sense to crawl under the truck and check all the bolts at some point anyway. Im going to do this as well soon now that I’m thinking about it.
Yes of course an extra 100 pounds wouldn't push it over the edge to bottom out. I may have been a little more aggressive than usual. There are a couple spots on the trail I was trying to get air at high speed when I heard the knock. Good point about checking bolts. I will do that tomorrow.

I can feet the weight at the bottom of the doors I believe. Just like if you have a passenger or something in the back. I will pay attention tomorrow and see if I was just dreaming it.

Thanks for the follow up.

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired

The slider wt alone is not a problem. I've added a lot of wt in the rear and carry a significant amount of recovery gear. It makes the BR squat a bit; maybe only an inch, but visibly noticeable.

Thoughts on the knock...
I might have posted something about this back in September. I had a knock when going over washboard roads at high speed. At first I thought it was the suspension. Then I thought it was a loose rock slider. Only heard it on the driver side, but then heard it on the passenger side also. WTF!

Turns out I had an eureka moment when I was down in the Maze, down in southern Utah. It was the vibration of the transmission skid plate against the K bracket on the frame. I shoved a couple sticks in between the skid plate and frame on each side and the noise went away. I'm looking for a more permanent solution like rubber isolators. Hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions