Roof Squeaks Rattles

Powerfiend

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2022
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
Dodge Ram
So got about 500 miles on the Braptor and I started to notice a little squeak behind my head in the b-pillar cross bar (not sure if its a roll bar). I've been quite impressed with how quiet the truck is otherwise, but this just started. I can reach back and feel around while driving and if I wedge my fingers between the top and the plastic cover, it stops. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

braptor0074

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2022
Gallery
Pennsylvania
So got about 500 miles on the Braptor and I started to notice a little squeak behind my head in the b-pillar cross bar (not sure if its a roll bar). I've been quite impressed with how quiet the truck is otherwise, but this just started. I can reach back and feel around while driving and if I wedge my fingers between the top and the plastic cover, it stops. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.
I’m at 900 miles and haven’t yet, but also have snow on the ground so I’ve yet to take any part of the roof off, I will say that my dealer didn’t add the headliner to my order and the wind noise at highway speed is a bit loud, was wondering how headliner is working and wether I should add it oEM aftermarket or wait for hotheads or someone else to come out with one?

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Yes. I am having the exact same issue. It doesn’t do it all the time though. I really only notice it when the temps are pretty low. I think it has to do with certain materials either expanding or contracting, but I’m not totally sure. Typically I only hear it when it’s cold out. I can push up on any of the front or second row panels and it will stop making the noise. I was able to make it stop once by just simply unlatching and twisting loose all the connections and then latching them all back down. It stopped it for a while. It is really kind of random so I haven’t taken the time to diagnose a true reason why it does it.

OP
Powerfiend

Powerfiend

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2022
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
Dodge Ram
Yes. I am having the exact same issue. It doesn’t do it all the time though. I really only notice it when the temps are pretty low. I think it has to do with certain materials either expanding or contracting, but I’m not totally sure. Typically I only hear it when it’s cold out. I can push up on any of the front or second row panels and it will stop making the noise. I was able to make it stop once by just simply unlatching and twisting loose all the connections and then latching them all back down. It stopped it for a while. It is really kind of random so I haven’t taken the time to diagnose a true reason why it does it.
I agree, good observation on the temperature. It really started happening as the temperature dropped at night (47 - California cold). So most likely with all the plastic covers and gasketing shrinking there is some slightly loose interference there somewhere.

OP
Powerfiend

Powerfiend

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2022
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
Dodge Ram
I’m at 900 miles and haven’t yet, but also have snow on the ground so I’ve yet to take any part of the roof off, I will say that my dealer didn’t add the headliner to my order and the wind noise at highway speed is a bit loud, was wondering how headliner is working and wether I should add it oEM aftermarket or wait for hotheads or someone else to come out with one?
I do like the headliner/sound deadener but I dont have any reference for what it would be like without it. Internal noise is reasonable IMO, its not as quiet as my ram but that may be just a result of the Braptor profile. I would add it if I didn't already have it and likely go with a good aftermarket kit. It also helps insulate against heat and cold.

braptor0074

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2022
Gallery
Pennsylvania
I do like the headliner/sound deadener but I dont have any reference for what it would be like without it. Internal noise is reasonable IMO, its not as quiet as my ram but that may be just a result of the Braptor profile. I would add it if I didn't already have it and likely go with a good aftermarket kit. It also helps insulate against heat and cold.
I added one to my wrangler and it made a huge difference too, if anyone sees a good aftermarket one please post info.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I have not experienced any roof clicking, rattling, or squeaking on my BR. However there is only 500 miles and I haven't driven it in six weeks.
However, on my wrangler if I leave the roof panels clamped down for months I have noticed a clicking. To fix it, I simply loosen the root panels to relieve the seals while in the garage, if it can sit a couple days even better, and the clicking is gone for weeks after.
All my vehicles when in storage have the doors left partially open on the first latching (open about half inch) and even my BR has all three panel clamps loose and the seals will push the panels upward. This allows the seals to return to their relaxed form and I've never experience rattle, wind noise, clicking in any of them.
Note: I have Not left the rear door open yet on the BR with the spare on, just seems like too much unsupported weight on the rear swing gate.
I also use this rubber seal care/preserver.

OP
Powerfiend

Powerfiend

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2022
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
Dodge Ram
I have not experienced any roof clicking, rattling, or squeaking on my BR. However there is only 500 miles and I haven't driven it in six weeks.
However, on my wrangler if I leave the roof panels clamped down for months I have noticed a clicking. To fix it, I simply loosen the root panels to relieve the seals while in the garage, if it can sit a couple days even better, and the clicking is gone for weeks after.
All my vehicles when in storage have the doors left partially open on the first latching (open about half inch) and even my BR has all three panel clamps loose and the seals will push the panels upward. This allows the seals to return to their relaxed form and I've never experience rattle, wind noise, clicking in any of them.
Note: I have Not left the rear door open yet on the BR with the spare on, just seems like too much unsupported weight on the rear swing gate.
I also use this rubber seal care/preserver.
Very good advice on letting the seals relax when sitting for weeks. I will give that a shot and the seal preserver.

cardad

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Moab
Current Ride
Rivian R1T
Current Ride #2
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Are you aware that the standard Bronco has a known issue with clicking from the roof latches? It is a metal on metal issue that they solve with some lithium grease. You can get it from the dealer or just find some for yourself. I would be sure to put some lithium grease on the contact points for the roof latches and see if the noise continues.

Braptor23

Dec 24, 2022
Gallery
Hudson Valley, NY
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
I only have 360 miles so far. I’m surprised how quiet it is. Have you removed the roof yet? I haven’t

slicktop

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2022
florida
Current Ride
Ford Excursion .... diesel 4x4...
Current Ride #2
1974 Bronco candy apple red, white hard top
I only have 360 miles so far. I’m surprised how quiet it is. Have you removed the roof yet? I haven’t
This may not help with some of these different noises, but ford has a recommended sequence to remove roof panels and replace could make a difference?

OP
Powerfiend

Powerfiend

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2022
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
Dodge Ram
I have not tried yet, but I definitely will give it a shot and try the sequence out as well. See if that helps.

Top Member Reactions