Wizz

Aug 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington, Utah
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Audi RS6
So this is my second thread on this topic. In my first thread “hard to steer” I didn’t get any replies. I’m surprised I’m the only one having issues with the steering binding in “rock crawl” mode. I just got my Bronco back from the dealer and of course they couldn’t find anything wrong.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Front locker on or off when this happens? I know if the front locker is on and you are turning the wheel during crawling it can put a lot of stress on the components. If the front locker is not on I am not sure why you would have that problem. From what I have seen you really only want to engage the front locker when doing straight runs up and over obstacles and then turn it back off.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
So this is my second thread on this topic. In my first thread “hard to steer” I didn’t get any replies. I’m surprised I’m the only one having issues with the steering binding in “rock crawl” mode. I just got my Bronco back from the dealer and of course they couldn’t find anything wrong.
Make sure your front locker is Not On (locked). Guessing you already checked the lockers, but it's all I have to offer.

OP
W

Wizz

Aug 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington, Utah
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Audi RS6
You guys are correct, I don’t use the front or rear lockers unless it’s necessary to make the obstacle. So this is happening w/o the front locker on.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Does it happen only when you are in Rock Crawl mode or any time it’s in 4L?

Does it happen in any other Goat Mode that adjusts steering to “tight”, e.g. Baja, Sport?

how it’s manifesting or not in similar circumstances might lead you to the source of the issue.

Probably obvious and not much help, but it’s hard to stand by while others are suffering !

OP
W

Wizz

Aug 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington, Utah
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Audi RS6
Does it happen only when you are in Rock Crawl mode or any time it’s in 4L?

Does it happen in any other Goat Mode that adjusts steering to “tight”, e.g. Baja, Sport?

how it’s manifesting or not in similar circumstances might lead you to the source of the issue.

Probably obvious and not much help, but it’s hard to stand by while others are suffering !
Well I haven’t noticed it in Baja or Sport mode, but I don’t rock crawl in those modes. I guess I could try it in a different mode, but the other modes aren’t in 4 low.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Well I haven’t noticed it in Baja or Sport mode, but I don’t rock crawl in those modes. I guess I could try it in a different mode, but the other modes aren’t in 4 low.
In any mode you could try changing the steering setting in attempt to duplicate or omit when in rock crawl. Has the battery been disconnected to reboot all the computers? Is it binding only when the front suspension is flexed to the extremes or sharp turns?
I'm guessing your unable to duplicate at will, which may be needed in order to determine the root cause.

OP
W

Wizz

Aug 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington, Utah
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Audi RS6
In any mode you could try changing the steering setting in attempt to duplicate or omit when in rock crawl. Has the battery been disconnected to reboot all the computers? Is it binding only when the front suspension is flexed to the extremes or sharp turns?
I'm guessing your unable to duplicate at will, which may be needed in order to determine the root cause.
It doesn’t have to be totally flexed or turned sharp to bind. And I have put it in different steering modes and nothing helps. When it happens, I stop, release the steering wheel, put it in neutral, or reverse, and back to neutral, and back to drive. That seems to allow the steering to relax and I can continue on with my trail.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Without understanding how the “binding” manifests, sounds, feels, It sounds more like the normal axle binding of 4L on grippy surfaces. All my 4WDs haven’t turned smoothly in 4L on grippy surface

Have you tried 4L on pavement in Normal mode? Does it bind when turning sharply at slow speed? If so, it’s 4L and probably normal.

The reason I asked if it happens in Baja or “tight” steering modes is they all tighten the steering response, if it happens in one of those modes while not in 4L then it’s probably something (software or hardware) related to how that “tight” adjustment is being made.

4L and the steering box don’t really have much to do with each other than they connect at the wheels. That’s why trying to isolate the problem to Goat Mode/steering system or 4L might point you in the right direction. Or not.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
It doesn’t have to be totally flexed or turned sharp to bind. And I have put it in different steering modes and nothing helps. When it happens, I stop, release the steering wheel, put it in neutral, or reverse, and back to neutral, and back to drive. That seems to allow the steering to relax and I can continue on with my trail.
Ever figure out what the problem was?

Top Member Reactions