TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
A detailed POV look at the Whipple Intercooler installation. I'm installing my Whipple Intercooler from LethalPerformance myself and I appreciate having videos prior, enabling myself to anticipate and mitigate potential difficulties. Note: Part 2 & Part 3 videos in additional posts below.

"Wick and I tackle the install of Whipple’s NEW Charge Air Cooler (aka intercooler) for 2022 and up 3.0L EcoBoost Broncos. Part 1 of 3" - 13:07 minutes

wzpilot

Sep 19, 2022
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2013 Raptor 6.2 Supercharged
It was a simple and straight-forward installation. We did not have to recalibrate the CCM, which was a big concern before starting on this project. I will say that even though it is winter, there is a noticeable drop in the charge air temperature after the installation of the Mega Cooler.

Good luck!

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
It was a simple and straight-forward installation. We did not have to recalibrate the CCM, which was a big concern before starting on this project. I will say that even though it is winter, there is a noticeable drop in the charge air temperature after the installation of the Mega Cooler.

Good luck!
Welcome to BroncoRaptor.com! 🍻 Thank you for the post installation feedback and for the nicely done video's. Did you notice the drop in charge air temperature with the stock tunes or do you have the JB4 installed? I've had a concern with a drop in boost using the Whipple Mega cooler with the stock tune, not sure if it's a valid concern or not.

I've been waiting on installation to see what options will be available for tuning. Lethal Performance has heard from Ford Performance they are working on a tune.

wzpilot

Sep 19, 2022
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Sorry - I should have mentioned the tune. :oops: I do have the JB4 tune and currently have it set to the 91 Octane program. I did not drive the truck with the Mega Cooler and the stock tune, as I got the JB4 installed first. that, too, was a simple installation with a great video from the friends at @LethalPerformance that was a big help.

I had to ponder the drop-in boost with the Mega Cooler and a stock tune you mentioned. I suppose the factory-tuned ECU might try to pull back the boost when it senses the denser air being ingested. That's a good point, and maybe someone out there has done the Mega Cooler on the stock tune, and they can chime in.

The Mega Cooler improvement is noticeable with regard to charge air temperature, and the JB4 provided noticeably improved throttle response. I am almost through the break-in period where I can really start to test out performance, but not there yet.

I will be watching the forums as new upgrades and improvements are released. In the meantime, the JB4 is a decent start for sure.

Wick

djc007x

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Washington, DC
Sorry - I should have mentioned the tune. :oops: I do have the JB4 tune and currently have it set to the 91 Octane program. I did not drive the truck with the Mega Cooler and the stock tune, as I got the JB4 installed first. that, too, was a simple installation with a great video from the friends at @LethalPerformance that was a big help.

I had to ponder the drop-in boost with the Mega Cooler and a stock tune you mentioned. I suppose the factory-tuned ECU might try to pull back the boost when it senses the denser air being ingested. That's a good point, and maybe someone out there has done the Mega Cooler on the stock tune, and they can chime in.

The Mega Cooler improvement is noticeable with regard to charge air temperature, and the JB4 provided noticeably improved throttle response. I am almost through the break-in period where I can really start to test out performance, but not there yet.

I will be watching the forums as new upgrades and improvements are released. In the meantime, the JB4 is a decent start for sure.

Wick
Will there been any damage to the engine if you break it in with a Whipple Mega Cooler attached, or would you suggest dropping that in after the Engine Break in period?

wzpilot

Sep 19, 2022
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I cannot see how the addition of the Mega Cooler could damage the engine during break-in. It is just providing cooler, thus denser air to the engine, and the ECU will adjust fuel for the denser air.

djc007x

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Washington, DC
I cannot see how the addition of the Mega Cooler could damage the engine during break-in. It is just providing cooler, thus denser air to the engine, and the ECU will adjust fuel for the denser air.
Just wasn't sure if the increase in air would effect the tolerances in the engine performance...etc I guess the cooler temps might actually help?

wzpilot

Sep 19, 2022
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
The cooler temps will definitely help, especially as we get closer to summer. The ECU in these cars is pretty smart and will adjust accordingly. You can actually see a number of parameters in the dash display - air inlet temp, air charge temp, air/fuel ratio, etc. If you get the JB4, the App also has a lot of info and also a logging feature.

Top Member Reactions