Founding Member
Apr 1, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Land Rover Defender
I know there have been a few install videos posted but only one addresses the problem with installing the rear shutter bracket. (Wick et al on youtube). One I watched just ditched the rear passive shutters and another glossed over the issue or didn't have the same problem. Only two of the clips and the screw will connect and I'm unsure how to proceed. Pic show the rear shutters on the whippple cooler and how only two of the three hook up. Anyone on here done the install and found a solution? I plan to contact whipple tomorrow to see what they have to say.

I loaded the flash calibration and definitely a noticeable difference especially when the turbos kick in at middle revs. I'm still noticing somewhat aggressive downshifts in sport mode but I honestly haven't driven it much since I installed the cal. I went right into the intercooler install and now that I have all the silver items off the truck I'm taking them to line x tomorrow for coating so I can have everything blacked out. So everything is still taken apart until I get the skid , plastic fascia, and tow hooks back from line x.

Attachments

• IMG_2404.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2405.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2406.JPG
    IMG_2406.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I know there have been a few install videos posted but only one addresses the problem with installing the rear shutter bracket. (Wick et al on youtube). One I watched just ditched the rear passive shutters and another glossed over the issue or didn't have the same problem. Only two of the clips and the screw will connect and I'm unsure how to proceed. Pic show the rear shutters on the whippple cooler and how only two of the three hook up. Anyone on here done the install and found a solution? I plan to contact whipple tomorrow to see what they have to say.

I loaded the flash calibration and definitely a noticeable difference especially when the turbos kick in at middle revs. I'm still noticing somewhat aggressive downshifts in sport mode but I honestly haven't driven it much since I installed the cal. I went right into the intercooler install and now that I have all the silver items off the truck I'm taking them to line x tomorrow for coating so I can have everything blacked out. So everything is still taken apart until I get the skid , plastic fascia, and tow hooks back from line x.
Watched Wick's and SVT's video's again and appears both installed just like you have with 2 of the 3 clips in contact. I agree seems there should be a recommendation on the 3rd since it appears Whipple has the 3rd misaligned. Please let us know Whipple's response. I haven't removed my Whipple intercooler from the box yet but I do intend to run with the inner shutters.

OP
bwilly68

bwilly68

Founding Member
Apr 1, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Land Rover Defender
Watched Wick's and SVT's video's again and appears both installed just like you have with 2 of the 3 clips in contact. I agree seems there should be a recommendation on the 3rd since it appears Whipple has the 3rd misaligned. Please let us know Whipple's response. I haven't removed my Whipple intercooler from the box yet but I do intend to run with the inner shutters.
Here was whipple tech support response. I am somewhat surprised. Any one with more car knowledge than I care to share their thoughts?

"We actually remove the rear shutters on the Raptor Bronco, it does not affect the drivability in any way"

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Here was whipple tech support response. I am somewhat surprised. Any one with more car knowledge than I care to share their thoughts?

"We actually remove the rear shutters on the Raptor Bronco, it does not affect the drivability in any way"
I'm now wanting Ford Performance engineering's position on the shutters for the intercooler.

If the shutters are there just to assist warming up the engine and cats quicker to meet emissions or just for aerodynamics then I agree we don't need them.

I've always thought the radiator shutters were in place to help aerodynamics and help the engine maintain a consistent operating temperature thereby maximizing efficiency. In warm climates the usage value would diminish. Without data I feel like we are guessing.

OP
bwilly68

bwilly68

Founding Member
Apr 1, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Land Rover Defender

This is from mishimoto article discussing their intercooler upgrade for the 2.7. It is referring to the rear shutter housing that is the item of concern. I was able to secure the corner to the misplaced bracket in a fairly solid fashion with a zip tie but now I'm thinking I will just leave the rear shutter out per whipples tech support.

"Ford knew there would be performance compromises with the larger engine option, so they added provisions to mitigate heat soak in their intercooler. This small shroud fits to the rear side of the intercooler and scoops a portion of the air generated from the radiator fan to aid in heat dissipation at lower speeds or heavier loads."

Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
"Ford knew there would be performance compromises with the larger engine option, so they added provisions to mitigate heat soak in their intercooler. This small shroud fits to the rear side of the intercooler and scoops a portion of the air generated from the radiator fan to aid in heat dissipation at lower speeds or heavier loads."
Just looked at mine in the garage and it does appear with the rear shutters closed it would assist the radiator fans in extracting air thru the intercooler. Last time I parked mine in the garage it idled for ~10 minutes before being shutting off. I noticed the front shutters are open and the rear are closed, amplifying this heat dissipation aid at lower speeds theory.

Hear is a link to a recent SAE publication on Active Grille Shutters. On the right side of this page you can do a "Preview Document" for further technical reading.

OP
bwilly68

bwilly68

Founding Member
Apr 1, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Land Rover Defender
An update. I've posted about the whipple intercooler and tune now on two different threads but in order to streamline I'll just update here. Install is done. I ended up getting the 4th corner of the rear shutters attached in what I think is a secure fashion with a heavy zip tie and just left it that way. Ill check it after a few months to make sure its secure.
Overall the tune is pretty amazing. Sport mode is just "more" now. Quicker throttle response in normal and sport. Sport downshifts are now smoother. No more jarring downshifts, it seems the rev matching is improved. Wildly quicker to me especially in the midrange speeds. Acceleration from 40-70 on the freeway is almost spooky fast. I can't say adding the intercooler changed the power at all but inlet and air charge temps are definitely closer together under normal driving conditions.
As I stated in my earlier post, I had my skid-plate, tow hooks, and plastic fascia coated by line x. Turned out nice, I like the look. I picked their middle shine of the three options. According to them, the gloss is from increased UV protectant. Its a little glossier than I would have preferred but I'll get used to it and I imagine it will fade with time. One caveat with the line x, entirely my fault is when I took the pieces in they asssumed I wanted all sides of them coated and I ended up paying more as a result and the coating on the insides of particularly the plastic fascia made reinstallation more work than necessary. I had to ream out every fastener hole and also scrape off a lot of the coating on the rear of the fascia to get it to fit. It was just too thick in many spots for the fascia to line up correctly and for the fasteners to work. Shaving it down with a chisel and fein oscillating tool took a few hours of trial and error. Rear side coating on the tow hooks and skid plate didn't really cause any problems. If anyone has theirs coated, I would think hard about only having the outside of the items coated. Cheaper and less install work.

Lastly, I just checked my catch can and there was about 3 cc of liquid in it for the first time. It's been on for 2000 miles and I haven't checked it since the first 300 miles or so when it was empty. Definitely thinner viscosity than straight oil and had a little gasoline odor to it. FWIW
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2478.JPG
IMG_2479.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions