Wireless Charging Pad

B.C.Raptor

May 10, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Picked up my Bronco Raptor on Wednesday. Looks great, although I envisioned it as slightly higher. If the Raptor is 9 inches taller than a baseline Bronco, then those baseline models must ride like a station wagon.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 smartphone. When placed on the wireless charging pad, the phone builds a charge only very slowly and it becomes very toasty. After a 3-1/2 hour drive, my phone climbed from 49% to only 73% and was bordering between warm and downright hot. Admittedly, my phone was in it's Otterbox phone case, but that's never posed a problem when charging in my 2021 Dodge Ram where my phone can fully charge in roughly an hour. There's definitely an issue here.

Al The Pal

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2022
Gallery
TN
Picked up my Bronco Raptor on Wednesday. Looks great, although I envisioned it as slightly higher. If the Raptor is 9 inches taller than a baseline Bronco, then those baseline models must ride like a station wagon.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 smartphone. When placed on the wireless charging pad, the phone builds a charge only very slowly and it becomes very toasty. After a 3-1/2 hour drive, my phone climbed from 49% to only 73% and was bordering between warm and downright hot. Admittedly, my phone was in it's Otterbox phone case, but that's never posed a problem when charging in my 2021 Dodge Ram where my phone can fully charge in roughly an hour. There's definitely an issue here.
Quite a few people have experienced the same thing with same exact description of results. I haven't heard of a solution, not sure if Ford is addressing this or not, doubtful. I didn't opt for Lux so I'll be doing an aftermarket and I hear great results from many of those and I've used a couple in other vehicles with no problems.

TCopp

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2022
Gallery
KC
Current Ride
Raptor
First Responder
Paramedic
Similar results here with the new iPhone in a slim clear case from Amazon.

James Bond 007

Sep 30, 2022
Utah
Current Ride
Highlander
I am driving a 2022 Badlands while I await my Raptor that just got bumped to a 2023 build. The wireless phone charger does the same thing. Super slow charging - barely builds a charge over time. Almost still loses the charge while on the charger pad if you run Apple Car play at the same time. Gets really hot - enough to worry about the health of the phone. The same phone in my Highlander warms up, but not so dramatically. I solved it by plugging the phone in using the port near the charging pad, and place the phone in the center console. There is a little gap that allows the cord to be protected when you close the center console. I tried looking for a way to turn off the charge pad so that you can place your phone on it, plug it in, and have it not heat up. I did not find a way to disable the charging pad. It is a lousy design. The phone charges quickly as expected when plugged in.

Top Member Reactions