modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
Hi, All,

My wireless charging pad in my 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor is not functional. I have tried three different phones in every conceivable position on the charging pad, and I do not get any charge from the vehicle in any of them, no matter what I do. The USB charger just above and behind the wireless charging pad works fine. Only the wireless pad has a problem. I have tried changing fuse 03 in the body control panel fuse box (as I've noted in the regular Bronco forums this is the appropriate fuse), but to no avail. The wireless charger just seems to be dead as a door nail. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Is there a different fuse other than 03 for the pad specific to the Braptor? Please help!

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I wish I had some guidance on how to get it to work but my experience is that the charging function isn‘t the most robust. There is a battery icon that appears on your screen when the wireless charger is active (charging a device) as well as a menu item to verify when it’s is active.

But, I’ve found that the design of the iPhone with the camera protruding means that you never have a fully flat surface to lay it down and the material/texture isn’t the grippiest so my phone can slide with any good bump.

I did see someone who installed some MagSafe stickers to the charging pad to help keep the phone put in place. But when I tried this I found that the MagSafe sticker was made more to convert a regular case to MagSafe than keep a MagSafe case in place.

So my suggestion would be to double-check that you don’t get that icon active when placing a device on the pad (or checking the menu system). If you can’t get that to pop-up it sounds like a trip to the dealer…or replace it with one of the after-market versions such as Mabett (which appears to be more reliable).

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Mine will show that it is charging the phone, but it doesn't really do much as far as charging is concerned. I left it on there for about 3 hours on a road trip and it didn't increase battery life more than 2-3% and the phone felt hot. Same story with my airpods. They just get warm and don't really charge. I almost want to just pull the fuse since it doesn't charge just so I don't have to worry about it hurting my batteries.

OP
M

modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
I know which icons are supposed to pop-up on the screen when the phone is charging. That's not the issue. The issue is that the charging pad is not working. It clearly has no juice. I've tried three different phones from three different manufacturers (and all were verified to charge wirelessly with portable wireless chargers I have at home). And yes, I have tried placing these phones in every possible position and location on the Bronco's wireless charging pad. Nothing. Anyone know if there is a fuse other than fuse 3 in the body control module that powers this thing?

widnere12

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
I know which icons are supposed to pop-up on the screen when the phone is charging. That's not the issue. The issue is that the charging pad is not working. It clearly has no juice. I've tried three different phones from three different manufacturers (and all were verified to charge wirelessly with portable wireless chargers I have at home). And yes, I have tried placing these phones in every possible position and location on the Bronco's wireless charging pad. Nothing. Anyone know if there is a fuse other than fuse 3 in the body control module that powers this thing?
Sounds like its a simple warranty issue. The dealer should just replace it for you. under warranty

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Mine works, but it's not the most robust function. So I decided to add another project to the list and ordered the IAG wireless charger today. From the install videos it appears pretty straightforward with the trickiest part removing a couple of set screws for the gear shifter. I believe the factory pad charges at 5W whereas this one (as well as the Mabett, StickerFab and others) charge up to 15W. It also comes with a rubber pad that should help keep the phone in place better than the factory.

Once it arrives and I get it installed I'll post some feedback.

widnere12

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
I was going to do the same but I hesitated and then realized that most other features of CarPlay and android auto work best when they’re plugged in… not to mention the turn by turn directions are added to the phone when using GPS. Because of that, I’ve decided wireless charging is just a feature that is not quite worth the cost anyways.

Last edited:

TCopp

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2022
Gallery
KC
Current Ride
Raptor
First Responder
Paramedic
Yeah, the wireless chargers in these are terrible. They just make your phone hot.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
This is a 15w wireless charger. Possibly same manufacture of other aftermarkets as I didn't verify.

"We all know that the Lux package comes with a wireless charger, but the added cost for a little upgrade isn't worth it. Now you can upgrade to a wireless charger yourself with the 21 Offroad Wireless charger. This charger works with all wireless charging compatible cases and has been tested and worked with bigger phones such as a pro max and note. Install is easy and I highly recommend it. This is compatible with the 2021 2022 & 2023 Ford Bronco.

Get your 21 Offroad Wireless Charger for your Bronco:
21 OFFROAD
Code Buttercup saves 5%"

OP
M

modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
Hi, All,

My wireless charging pad in my 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor is not functional. I have tried three different phones in every conceivable position on the charging pad, and I do not get any charge from the vehicle in any of them, no matter what I do. The USB charger just above and behind the wireless charging pad works fine. Only the wireless pad has a problem. I have tried changing fuse 03 in the body control panel fuse box (as I've noted in the regular Bronco forums this is the appropriate fuse), but to no avail. The wireless charger just seems to be dead as a door nail. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Is there a different fuse other than 03 for the pad specific to the Braptor? Please help!
So, update on this...

I followed advice from another reader regarding aftermarket wireless chargers. Replaced the stock and it seems to work well. Problem solved for now. 15 amps rather than 5 or 10 the the OEM, so hopefully it will prove a better and more reliable product. I've examined various options out there for these aftermarket chargers, and I think they all are likely from the same manufacturer, just from different sellers under unique names.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
So, update on this...

I followed advice from another reader regarding aftermarket wireless chargers. Replaced the stock and it seems to work well. Problem solved for now. 15 amps rather than 5 or 10 the the OEM, so hopefully it will prove a better and more reliable product. I've examined various options out there for these aftermarket chargers, and I think they all are likely from the same manufacturer, just from different sellers under unique names.

I got mine in the other day but haven’t installed yet. But agree that the packaging was very generic and from pictures/videos I also suspect that it’s the same product being sold from different retailers.

It sounds like it’s working as promised so a project that should be well worth the time.

Feb 7, 2023
Gallery
wi
Current Ride
22 Braptor
Current Ride #2
12' Raptor
Hi, All,

All mine did was make my phone hot. There is a Ford TSB for this and it calls for a programing change via flash. I had it done and it didn't make any difference.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
The standard Bronco with the charger has the same issue. It only charges for a little bit until it overheats the phone and then it shuts off charging. My 2022 Badlands did it and now my 2023 Bronco Raptor does the same. It's probably best to just carry a charging cable with you in case you need a constant charge.

OP
M

modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
Quick update on real-world experience with the aftermarket wireless charger... Just took my first drive since installation, about 12 minutes long. During the drive, Android Auto was of course connected wirelessly and I was listening to a podcast being broadcast from my phone the entire time. Gained 10% battery in 12 minutes on the aftermarket wireless charger during this time with no overheating. Very satisfied. Recommending the upgrade!

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I just completed the install and wasn't too bad. What was frustrating was I tested the functionality before buttoning everything up and it was as-advertised. But then I got it all back and it wouldn't activate. So took it all apart, checked everything, re-tested and put it back together. Same result.

As it turns out, my 14 Pro with it's case and camera sticking out apparently makes it difficult to get the needed setup. I tried a few other cases and no luck. No case = charges every time. Scratched my head...got po'd...then actually started to think about it. When I removed the rubber lining that sits on top of the charger I had no issues with or without a case. SO...I realized that the open section in the middle of that lining was blocking the camera protrusion from sitting flat. I just took the scissors out and cut that section out a little on each end and now the phone can sit flat. Charges without issue every time.

Feb 7, 2023
Gallery
wi
Current Ride
22 Braptor
Current Ride #2
12' Raptor
My dealer is telling me they're hopeful ford may do a recall seeing as the fix on the TSB doesn't work.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
My dealer is telling me they're hopeful ford may do a recall seeing as the fix on the TSB doesn't work.

Given the way Ford and the Bronco has worked out their idea of a 'recall' will be to simply remove the feature. "Commodity Constraints".

The charger I installed is working great...charges faster and doesn't slide around (after a slight modification to the rubber liner).

Top Member Reactions