M

modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
Quick update on real-world experience with the aftermarket wireless charger... Just took my first drive since installation, about 12 minutes long. During the drive, Android Auto was of course connected wirelessly and I was listening to a podcast being broadcast from my phone the entire time. Gained 10% battery in 12 minutes on the aftermarket wireless charger during this time with no overheating. Very satisfied. Recommending the upgrade!

OP
M

modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
My humblest apologies. A day after I installed the aftermarket wireless charger in my Braptor, it started acting funny. As I said in my previous post, it worked splendidly on the first day, and that's when I wrote my glowing review. However by next drive a day later, it started first charging slowly, then cutting off altogether. Like others before me have said, it'll charge for 5 minutes then it'll just stop. Sometimes it will begin to charge again, but then cuts again. Perhaps it's overheating as others have suggested. Whatever the case, now, overall, I'm not getting enough consistent charging to stay afloat. I'm embarrassed I gave such glowing reviews, as the intermittent charging clearly continues to net power consumption; the battery overall continues to drain. What a shame. Sorry for my misguided original excitement. There's got to be a device that works better than this out there. BTW, all three aftermarket chargers I have bought are indeed identical, same device, same packaging, same parts included. Hopefully someone will develop a wireless charger that's built in that will handle this problem.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
My humblest apologies. A day after I installed the aftermarket wireless charger in my Braptor, it started acting funny. As I said in my previous post, it worked splendidly on the first day, and that's when I wrote my glowing review. However by next drive a day later, it started first charging slowly, then cutting off altogether. Like others before me have said, it'll charge for 5 minutes then it'll just stop. Sometimes it will begin to charge again, but then cuts again. Perhaps it's overheating as others have suggested. Whatever the case, now, overall, I'm not getting enough consistent charging to stay afloat. I'm embarrassed I gave such glowing reviews, as the intermittent charging clearly continues to net power consumption; the battery overall continues to drain. What a shame. Sorry for my misguided original excitement. There's got to be a device that works better than this out there. BTW, all three aftermarket chargers I have bought are indeed identical, same device, same packaging, same parts included. Hopefully someone will develop a wireless charger that's built in that will handle this problem.
I haven't noticed any degradation of charging from mine but will pay attention to see if it changes. I do know that without cutting the slots wider on the rubber lining my iPhone wouldn't seat close enough to the charging pad to actually initiate charging on a consistent basis so I trimmed out sections on either end and it's been working pretty flawlessly since.

1677860461076.jpeg

OP
M

modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
Yeah, I have an Android and the phone fits well enough. The fact that it always charges for a solid first five minutes when I first put the phone down on the charging pad suggests to me that it is not a simple contact issue but something more complicated. If anyone has any idea why this is happening, please let me know.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Yeah, I have an Android and the phone fits well enough. The fact that it always charges for a solid first five minutes when I first put the phone down on the charging pad suggests to me that it is not a simple contact issue but something more complicated. If anyone has any idea why this is happening, please let me know.

SO...I apparently jinxed myself. Went for a quick errand and the charger lights just blinked between blue/red the entire time, couldn't get the device to charge at all. Turned the vehicle off/on and few times, same result. Ended up putting the factory chrager back in but using the aftermarket rubber liner as it holds the phone in place much better. I also placed some soft vinyl tape over the charging pad (and under the rubber liner) to clean up the look and didn't affect the ability to charge.

I also sent a note to the retailer that I purchased it from. SInce I trimmed the liner I highly suspect I'm SOL but wanted to make sure they had feedback that the device I received has already failed. Also, the documentation that came with it has no reference to the lights so I have no reference as to what the trouble is when it blinks red/blue constantly. Only gives guidance on issues with charging (phone placement, phone support, etc) but nothing regarding what the light signals mean.

OP
M

modestdave

Jan 2, 2023
Laguna Beach, CA
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Ford Shelby GT350R
Ironic. What I figure I have to do is reinstall my dead factory (OEM) charger and take to the dealer for replacement under warranty. What a pain. But, yeah, these aftermarket chargers are trash. I have a second aftermarket charger (as I ordered from two different sellers on Amazon just to ensure the products were actually the same, i.e., that one one wasn't potentially better than the other). But, given that this second one is indeed identical to the first, I'm not going to even bother trying to install it, as I know it will just fail like the first in a short period of time.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I just found on B6G where Mabett responded with awareness of an issue in that an internal short circuit of the inductor and the open circuit caused by the breakdown of the enameled film lead to a decrease in the inductance and unstable power management circuit functions.

I'm checking to see if I can get a refund (not sure I want a replacement) and then wait for potential updated versions to be made available later.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Just seen this, maybe a new aftermarket offering? Just hope you don't need to drive thru water puddles for it to work. :giggle:
"Boost Auto Wireless Phone Charging Upgrade For Your 2021+ Ford Bronco | Boost Auto Charger Overview"

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Just seen this, maybe a new aftermarket offering? Just hope you don't need to drive thru water puddles for it to work. :giggle:
"Boost Auto Wireless Phone Charging Upgrade For Your 2021+ Ford Bronco | Boost Auto Charger Overview"

I'm glad it's such an involved install requiring some drilling and tapping into wires...so I'm not tempted to replace my current aftermarket charger with this one. Looks relatively solid but not a simple plug/play.

widnere12

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
There are a few aftermarket charges out there now. Just look on Amazon. Poor charging performance has been a known issue on these

Top Member Reactions