Gallery
Washington
Military
US Navy
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2019 Dodge Charger Scatpack
Anyone plan on running a set of portals on their Braptor? Told myself I’d never mess with mine as far as suspension because it’s damn near perfect in my mind. But after looking into these portals by 74Weld I must say it got my curiosity. I love how much more clearance it gives underneath AND keeps the factory suspension with no modifications. Only concern I feel is that it may widen the braptor even more and these things are already wide enough! I’d like to hear yalls feedback. Also I believe Kevin from Lite Bright may be installing these on their Braptor so will definitely be keeping a lookout for that video.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Raptor isn't listed as available on thier web site yet, but I suspect it's just a matter of time. I've also been anticipating the Lite Brite video as Kevin has mentioned portals several times in previous video's. Seems like the optimal lift for our Bronco Raptors and IFS off road vehicles.

412Brap

Jul 13, 2023
Gallery
PNW via #412
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Aston Martin DBX707
Resurrecting this thread for a minute with a question to get me educated.

Why are portal axles so awesome? What is the value prop?

I geek out on this type of stuff, and love to understand the deep technical details as of why. The pricing on the 74Weld ones is very high for a single aftermarket upgrade (and that doesn't include installation). In conjunction, I remember looking at the Mercedes G63 vs the 4x4 Squared and the massive price difference between the two. The majority of that price difference (again, my understanding), is the inclusion of portal axles.

Turbo yzel

Oct 9, 2023
Gallery
DMV
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
After doing most other things like control arms, perch collers,40’s and steering rack
I’d like to know if they would fit the Braptor as well

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Resurrecting this thread for a minute with a question to get me educated.

Why are portal axles so awesome? What is the value prop?

I geek out on this type of stuff, and love to understand the deep technical details as of why. The pricing on the 74Weld ones is very high for a single aftermarket upgrade (and that doesn't include installation). In conjunction, I remember looking at the Mercedes G63 vs the 4x4 Squared and the massive price difference between the two. The majority of that price difference (again, my understanding), is the inclusion of portal axles.
The first production vehicle that I remember to have Portal axles was the H1 Hummer designed and engineered for our Military, however the Germans had used portals long before the H1. The 74Weld Portals provide a Bronco with 3.88" of verticle lift at the tire/hub assembly. This provides the ground clearance of the equivalent to replacing our OEM 37" tires with 45" tires. In order to fit 45's our Bronco Raptors would require a significant amount of suspension and body modifications, enough to make the Portals look very reasonable in cost. Besides the benefit of additional clearance, you also get additional gear reduction making it feasible to install larger diameter tires all while your Bronco Raptor suspension and steering remains at it's optimal design geometry. Visual downside is an increase in track width as the portals push the tire/hub assemble outward a couple inches per side.

Pics of Bronco with portals sourced from 74Weld:
Notice the axle is now above the centerline of the tire/hub assembly, but suspension is still OEM.
1701316100423.png

Same for the rear solid axle
1701316205030.png

Turbo yzel

Oct 9, 2023
Gallery
DMV
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
The first production vehicle that I remember to have Portal axles was the H1 Hummer designed and engineered for our Military, however the Germans had used portals long before the H1. The 74Weld Portals provide a Bronco with 3.88" of verticle lift at the tire/hub assembly. This provides the ground clearance of the equivalent to replacing our OEM 37" tires with 45" tires. In order to fit 45's our Bronco Raptors would require a significant amount of suspension and body modifications, enough to make the Portals look very reasonable in cost. Besides the benefit of additional clearance, you also get additional gear reduction making it feasible to install larger diameter tires all while your Bronco Raptor suspension and steering remains at it's optimal design geometry. Visual downside is an increase in track width as the portals push the tire/hub assemble outward a couple inches per side.

Pics of Bronco with portals sourced from 74Weld:
Notice the axle is now above the centerline of the tire/hub assembly, but suspension is still OEM.
View attachment 11083

Same for the rear solid axle
View attachment 11084
These are for regular broncos looks like
Still not a raptor version I believe

Top Member Reactions