ADM or Extortion?

ecmgbob

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2022
St Louis, MO
Hi all-Five separate attempts to call Bronco Customer service have come up short for me (bad connection, routed to the post-call survey, busy signal, etc...) so I am still confused. I have seen some folks on here tell that Ford does not want their dealers to mark up the Braptor and others have stated that it is up to the individual dealer. My dealer (whom Ford chose for me) told me on Friday that they are ready to take my order; but the Raptor is going to cost me $120K, a $40K premium! Anyone else quoted this much ADM?

I have no intention of paying that much above MSRP; but am coming to terms with the fact that I will likely have to pay something above MSRP. I would go $10K over but my dealer is telling me to take it or leave it. Help me understand the following;
-Who's allocation is this, mine or the dealers'?
-Is it too late to change dealers?
-Does Ford have a policy on markups/excessive markups?
-What else can you all tell me?

My searches in the forum are not really giving me any definitive answers so I am hoping one of you guys who has gone through the process can enlighten me, thanks in advance

Raptor2Braptor

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2022
Gallery
Orange County, California
Hi all-Five separate attempts to call Bronco Customer service have come up short for me (bad connection, routed to the post-call survey, busy signal, etc...) so I am still confused. I have seen some folks on here tell that Ford does not want their dealers to mark up the Braptor and others have stated that it is up to the individual dealer. My dealer (whom Ford chose for me) told me on Friday that they are ready to take my order; but the Raptor is going to cost me $120K, a $40K premium! Anyone else quoted this much ADM?

I have no intention of paying that much above MSRP; but am coming to terms with the fact that I will likely have to pay something above MSRP. I would go $10K over but my dealer is telling me to take it or leave it. Help me understand the following;

My searches in the forum are not really giving me any definitive answers so I am hoping one of you guys who has gone through the process can enlighten me, thanks in advance
$120k seems more like extortion than ADM to me, but I guess we will see what the market will bear. Like you, I wouldn't go anywhere near that number for this rig. In answer to your specific questions, here is the knowledge I've gleaned (as woefully incomplete/inaccurate as it may be):

1. If you are a GTH, that is your allocation. It does not impact the dealer's allocation.
2. It is too late to change dealers.
3. Gray area on Ford's policy re ADM on the Raptor. It does not seem like there is any official guidance, but there was supposed to be some pressure on the dealers to not price gouge GTHs. It's very dealer specific and seems to range all over. I happened to get lucky and my dealer confirmed in writing that they are going to honor MSRP for my golden ticket. They went on to say that there will likely be a $40 to $50k markup on their allocations.
4. My order is allegedly "in" but I have not yet received a confirmation email from Ford nor has my reservation page been updated on Ford.com. What else? Just what you already know - a really frustrating and disappointing process.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
$120k seems more like extortion than ADM to me, but I guess we will see what the market will bear. Like you, I wouldn't go anywhere near that number for this rig. In answer to your specific questions, here is the knowledge I've gleaned (as woefully incomplete/inaccurate as it may be):

1. If you are a GTH, that is your allocation. It does not impact the dealer's allocation.
2. It is too late to change dealers.
3. Gray area on Ford's policy re ADM on the Raptor. It does not seem like there is any official guidance, but there was supposed to be some pressure on the dealers to not price gouge GTHs. It's very dealer specific and seems to range all over. I happened to get lucky and my dealer confirmed in writing that they are going to honor MSRP for my golden ticket. They went on to say that there will likely be a $40 to $50k markup on their allocations.
4. My order is allegedly "in" but I have not yet received a confirmation email from Ford nor has my reservation page been updated on Ford.com. What else? Just what you already know - a really frustrating and disappointing process.
The document I received from Ford (Golden Ticket) stated that the price was to be arranged between the customer and the dealer. To me, that is a definitive answer directly from the source, despite all the speculation to the contrary.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX

From what I was told if you have a golden ticket This is your allocation and not the dealerships.
Not sure on being able to change dealerships at this point. From what I read unless your reservation has not been converted to an order you can swap dealerships. That part might be tough.
I spoke to Karen at Ford and these golden tickets were not meant as a punishment for people who have basically waited the longest to get these things and to call them if they are trying to do this.
My dealer told me it was going to be $20k ADM right off the bat and it is what it is. I argued that the allocation was given to me by Ford and it wasn't like I was taking one away that they gave you. In fact if you didn't have the golden ticket they wouldn't have this allocation at all to even sell this vehicle. They came back and gave me MSRP the next day. All Ford can really do is limit allocations for future vehicles. They can't tell them what to charge you. The ADM is not a "policy" which is what they tried to tell me first. It is them trying to get more money out of you and it isn't anything they "must" do. Sorry you are dealing with this. I had to do it as well. Not fun. Luckily I was able to work it out with them and they actually sent me an invoice to sign off now at MSRP with TTL. Good luck.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
I think the answers to your questions are pretty clear cut, as disappointing / frustrating as it may be.

Simply:
1. Dealers get a certain allocation and it's entirely up to them how they distribute those allocations. The GT doesn't change that. It only gives some GT holders the ability to try to figure something out with a dealer. Dealers can decide to give the allocations to anyone they want, and for any reason. Some do it by how much an individual is willing to pay (hence the ADM) and some give them to loyal customers.
2. You can go to any dealer you want at any time. But, per the above, you'll have to find a dealer with an allocation they're willing to give you at a price you're willing to pay.
3. Ford has zero control over dealer pricing decisions. While Ford could, technically, reduce allocations of vehicles for dealers that do bad things (charging ridiculous markups being one of them, poor customer sat scores another), I don't think the ADM issue rises to the level of severity to see that happen.
4. I feel for folks going through all this pain. I also feel for the dealers. The average US car dealership makes zero dollars running a new car sales dept (per NADA data) and it's been that way for a very long time. Now with chronic inventory shortages and a very few of the highly-desirable vehicles available, the problem is exacerbated. A lot of this boils down to the treating the dealership (and having them treat you) the same way you'd expect any other business relationship to work. The best advise I could give folks is to be a good customer...in bad times and in good...and try to build a relationship with a good dealership.

CVSJR

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2022
Gallery
Freehold NJ
I think the answers to your questions are pretty clear cut, as disappointing / frustrating as it may be.

Simply:
1. Dealers get a certain allocation and it's entirely up to them how they distribute those allocations. The GT doesn't change that. It only gives some GT holders the ability to try to figure something out with a dealer. Dealers can decide to give the allocations to anyone they want, and for any reason. Some do it by how much an individual is willing to pay (hence the ADM) and some give them to loyal customers.
2. You can go to any dealer you want at any time. But, per the above, you'll have to find a dealer with an allocation they're willing to give you at a price you're willing to pay.
3. Ford has zero control over dealer pricing decisions. While Ford could, technically, reduce allocations of vehicles for dealers that do bad things (charging ridiculous markups being one of them, poor customer sat scores another), I don't think the ADM issue rises to the level of severity to see that happen.
4. I feel for folks going through all this pain. I also feel for the dealers. The average US car dealership makes zero dollars running a new car sales dept (per NADA data) and it's been that way for a very long time. Now with chronic inventory shortages and a very few of the highly-desirable vehicles available, the problem is exacerbated. A lot of this boils down to the treating the dealership (and having them treat you) the same way you'd expect any other business relationship to work. The best advise I could give folks is to be a good customer...in bad times and in good...and try to build a relationship with a good dealership.
Ford actually puts the golden ticket holder's reservation number on their Raptor allocation and specifically states "We've got a Ford Bronco Raptor SUV with your name on it." The majority of dealers handling golden tickets are honoring MSRP without issue (like Freehold Ford for me) and some others come around after pushing them. If the golden ticket holder declines, Ford is suggesting the dealer offer it to the next hand raiser in line. This has been spelled out by Ford in info they released recently, easily searchable on numerous forums including Ford's Bronco Nation.
There are also dealer allocations not tied to a golden ticket holder, these are mainly sales performance rewards and are being sold with ADM, unless you are really lucky or friends with a dealer.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
Ford actually puts the golden ticket holder's reservation number on their Raptor allocation and specifically states "We've got a Ford Bronco Raptor SUV with your name on it." The majority of dealers handling golden tickets are honoring MSRP without issue (like Freehold Ford for me) and some others come around after pushing them. If the golden ticket holder declines, Ford is suggesting the dealer offer it to the next hand raiser in line. This has been spelled out by Ford in info they released recently, easily searchable on numerous forums including Ford's Bronco Nation.
There are also dealer allocations not tied to a golden ticket holder, these are mainly sales performance rewards and are being sold with ADM, unless you are really lucky or friends with a dealer.
Right, it's a suggestion, not a mandate, who they give allocations to.
I'd suggest that the majority of allocations (perhaps all of them, in fact) are probably only based one the tradition method that earns dealers inventory (sales and stock data...with the ability to be adjusted by local management - zone rep / region office) and not the existence of GT holders.

Selling with / without ADM has more to do with the dealership's philosophy WRT ADM's. The dealership I buy my cars from, for instance, doesn't charge ADM on any vehicle for anyone, they also don't negotiate prices (they're a so-called 'one price' dealership).

CVSJR

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2022
Gallery
Freehold NJ
Right, it's a suggestion, not a mandate, who they give allocations to.
I'd suggest that the majority of allocations (perhaps all of them, in fact) are probably only based one the tradition method that earns dealers inventory (sales and stock data...with the ability to be adjusted by local management - zone rep / region office) and not the existence of GT holders.

Selling with / without ADM has more to do with the dealership's philosophy WRT ADM's. The dealership I buy my cars from, for instance, doesn't charge ADM on any vehicle for anyone, they also don't negotiate prices (they're a so-called 'one price' dealership).
You sound hurt that you didn’t get one.

CVSJR

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2022
Gallery
Freehold NJ
That’s a curious conclusion.
Sounds like you're trolling a bit, you've taken delivery of an FE so wouldn't have even gotten the Raptor interest poll from Ford, yet here you are on a Bronco Raptor forum as an expert about Golden Tickets and Raptor allocations.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
Sounds like you're trolling a bit, you've taken delivery of an FE so wouldn't have even gotten the Raptor interest poll from Ford, yet here you are on a Bronco Raptor forum as an expert about Golden Tickets and Raptor allocations.
Your power of deduction continues to underwhelm.

CVSJR

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2022
Gallery
Freehold NJ
Apparently this is what happens, Dealer earned/ FE orders that weren't built /golden ticket
1647534832992.png

Top Member Reactions