Anyone have a solution for Brake Light vibration with after market rims on spare?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
I’ve been chasing some rattles (primarily off-road) in the rear of my truck. Lost a screw in Tailgater table, now fixed, but a rattle still persisted.

I’ve traced it to my center brake light. Root cause appears to be going to +6 offset rims with same stock K02. There is now a half inch gap between the center brake light bump stop and the tire. This vibrates like crazy on washboard or stony trails at speed.

Anyone have a clean fix? I’ve stuffed some thick closed cell foam from a yoga mat for time being.

Longer term I’d like to have chase light and better reverse lighting, so I’m not averse to ditching the stock third light. Buuuuuuut…. I’m also still considering mounting my air compressor under the spare tire mount, so that might not be an option.

Thoughts?
IMG_6633.jpeg
IMG_6634.jpeg

Last edited:

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
I got sick of not being able to see anything behind me so I just replaced it.....
Ditto.
With the JCR bumper mod, I ditched the oversized OEM 3rd stoplight. Offsetting the spare and ditching the light greatly improved rear window visibility. Plenty of aftermarket options that relocate the light to the center of the spare.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Has anyone mounted the Rigid Chase Pod light yet? seems to solve a lot of problems (rear visibility, better back up lighting, chase light functionality, rear work light) in a concise package.

Just need a bracket solution that is Raptor specific.

I’d also be interested in any wiring learnings. I’d guess the tail, brake, courtesy and reverse light’s works with the existing harness and. I’d need to tie into the Aux wiring for chase and work light functions (or maybe the zone lighting function handles that). I’d be very interested in a ready made pigtail harness…

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
They don't explain the chase light option very well. Is it Amber?
Screenshot_20230803-094253~2.png Screenshot_20230803-093854.png
It's not easy to chase extra wire from the AUX switches, but it can be done. I'd worry about going out the tailgate. Maybe you could fish some wire through the OEM grommet.

I have two 3x3 Rigid cubes in the JCR bumper for rear illumination. I need to get a set of amber covers for chase options. Same for front Rigid lights.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
They don't explain the chase light option very well. Is it Amber?
View attachment 9225 View attachment 9226
It's not easy to chase extra wire from the AUX switches, but it can be done. I'd worry about going out the tailgate. Maybe you could fish some wire through the OEM grommet.

I have two 3x3 Rigid cubes in the JCR bumper for rear illumination. I need to get a set of amber covers for chase options. Same for front Rigid lights.
They don’t explain anything related to these lights very well. I’m not sure how they manage to sell them.

Im thinking running a pretty small gauge wire from rear Aux harness to the third light probably isn’t a huge issue, as plenty of folks have been mounting their air compressors under the spare tire. This problem has been solved.

CJ Parts does a pretty good video demonstrating the features. It appears that you can choose yellow or red light, but that color is the same for the brake light and the strobe. Thus I’d go red to best fit my requirements. The bottom courtesy light is handy if you relocate license plate to the spare.

Sinister Speed Shop

Supporting Vendor
Nov 15, 2021
Gallery
TX
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
When will this kit be available?
We have a few ready to go now depending on your wheel offset, we just need to get them listed. Do you already have your wheels and tires mounted on your BR and if so, can you tell me what offset your wheels are and the width of your tires?

Erniecombs

Mar 14, 2023
Gallery
Richmond
Current Ride
22 Bronco Raptor
I was told that they have a 0 offset. This is for my Hennessey Velociraptor 500. So they are Hennessey wheels. I don’t know who makes them for Hennessey. I can take pictures and measurements too. Thanks for responding so fast! Ernie

Sinister Speed Shop

Supporting Vendor
Nov 15, 2021
Gallery
TX
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
I was told that they have a 0 offset. This is for my Hennessey Velociraptor 500. So they are Hennessey wheels. I don’t know who makes them for Hennessey. I can take pictures and measurements too. Thanks for responding so fast! Ernie
I should have bumpers for 0 offset wheels. Can you confirm the spacing between the tire and your brake light bumpers? Attached below is a photo for example. Also, do you have 12.5" or 13.5" wide tires?

IMG_6633.jpeg

Erniecombs

Mar 14, 2023
Gallery
Richmond
Current Ride
22 Bronco Raptor
I will have to reinstall the 3rd brake light before i can get a measurement. I took it off because it rattled. Is there another measurement that i could take?

I have 12.5” wide tires.

Thanks again for your help.

Sinister Speed Shop

Supporting Vendor
Nov 15, 2021
Gallery
TX
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
I can probably get you what you need if your wheels are a 0 offset. I want to try and keep you from having to remove the spare tire anymore than you have to because it's very heavy and not easy unless you have a second set of hands to help you. I will let you know when I have a link for you when your kit is ready.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I’ve been test fitting the kit for Sinister Speed Shop. My setup works great. The brake light stops look like and function like OEM. The spare tire bump extensions fit perfect and also doing their job.

While I’ve been helping them out they’ve been great to work with.

I’m using 1” spare tire bump stop extension and 3/4” brake light bump stop for my +6 rims and stock K02s for reference.

Install if bumps are super easy, but ya do have to pull that big ol’ spare tire!

Sinister Speed Shop

Supporting Vendor
Nov 15, 2021
Gallery
TX
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Our Bronco Raptor Spare Tire Offset Bumper kit is now available! If you have a wheel offset and tire that is different from what we currently offer, please send us a message with your specifications so we can help get a kit designed for your setup.

Sinister Speed Shop

Supporting Vendor
Nov 15, 2021
Gallery
TX
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
If you have aftermarket wheels or just stepped up to a 13.50-inch wide tire on the OEM Bronco Raptor wheels, then you need new brake light bumpers! We have a good assortment of bumpers to fit a wide range of wheel and tire offsets. If you have a wheel or tire combo that we don't have listed please send us a message and we will be happy to help make a custom set for you.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 1.46.33 PM.png

CRAZYACE63

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2023 CO Braptor
Current Ride #2
2010 Challenger R/T
If you have aftermarket wheels or just stepped up to a 13.50-inch wide tire on the OEM Bronco Raptor wheels, then you need new brake light bumpers! We have a good assortment of bumpers to fit a wide range of wheel and tire offsets. If you have a wheel or tire combo that we don't have listed please send us a message and we will be happy to help make a custom set for you.

View attachment 11569

Do you have any that would fix going smaller on the tire size? I have 33's on my Braptor. I had to go smaller to get in since I am in a wheelchair. The tires just don't touch the bumpers on the third brake light. I know this isn't a common issue. Just thought I would ask.
thanks

Top Member Reactions