Anyone seen this on rear shocks and inner tie rod boot?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Update: ford looked at my shock boot, ordered a whole new shock as the boot is not serviceable! $3000 fix, but covered under warranty. Currently awaiting the part to arrive, they said 3-4 days.

This was why I bought the extended warranty from Flood (Granger, et al offer similar pricing). One shock is well over the cost of the 10 year/125k/$100 deductible extended warranty I bought in December 2022. My dealer wanted $5k ha ha ha ho ho ha ha for the same coverage.

Who knows if my bet will pay out, but this definitely makes me feel better about that decision.
I hope you get a chance to see the shock & boot after removal. It's probably arrives from Fox as an assembly, seems like a huge expense to replace a boot and I'm thinking there is going to be many more. Wonder what the Off-Roadeo Raptor boots look like as they may be the most abused at this time judging by @DallasCajun video's.

Another thought, is it possible the boot was a sign of a shock failure?

Good call on the Ford extended warranty, looks like a good investment in the long run, even if you don't keep your Raptor it's transferable which should add resale value.

412Brap

Jul 13, 2023
Gallery
PNW via #412
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Aston Martin DBX707
Just curious any update on the replacement of the shock or what it looked like when they took it out. My hopes is that its just a cosmetic issue.
+1 here. I just checked my rear shock boots yesterday, and they are both still bound up. I tried correcting them to no avail.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Sorry, I didn't see the shock when removed. My guess is that the boot will tear at some point and dust will get in. since they go to the trouble to put a boot on, I’m guessing dust will have a long term detrimental impact on the performance.

If they keep replacing these under warranty, it feels like Ford and/or Fox are going to feel a sting on this issue.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
assuming extended warranty would not he needed initially on the shock boot issue correct?

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
assuming extended warranty would not he needed initially on the shock boot issue correct?
Correct. This was under the basic (initial) warranty.

Magic

Aug 13, 2022
Gallery
Fredericksburg, Texas
Current Ride
2012 Ford F150
Current Ride #2
2021 MME GT-PE
While I had mine up on a lift yesterday I checked my rear shocks on my BRaptor. The driver side looked OK, but the passenger side was a mess. Guess it's time for a warranty work visit to the dealer.
Pas Rear Shock.jpg

412Brap

Jul 13, 2023
Gallery
PNW via #412
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Aston Martin DBX707
I'm going to wait to warranty this until the new Fox shocks for the F-150 Raptors become available for the Broncos :)

Magic

Aug 13, 2022
Gallery
Fredericksburg, Texas
Current Ride
2012 Ford F150
Current Ride #2
2021 MME GT-PE
While I had mine up on a lift yesterday I checked my rear shocks on my BRaptor. The driver side looked OK, but the passenger side was a mess. Guess it's time for a warranty work visit to the dealer.View attachment 10041
Took my BRaptor in today for warranty work to replace the shock. They ordered it a couple of weeks ago and it just came in. When I get it back I'll get it back up on my lift and take a picture.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
I Wonder how many times the dealer will replace these? I can see having it fixed, and being back in the same situation again.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Mines already done it again. It appeared all the vehicles I checked at the Bronco Raptor off-Roadeo were similarly bunched up. I think of your truck separates from the ground from time to time or maybe just fully flexed, this is just going to keep happening.

pretty crazy to replace the entire unit as it’s just a dust boot.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
Mines already done it again. It appeared all the vehicles I checked at the Bronco Raptor off-Roadeo were similarly bunched up. I think of your truck separates from the ground from time to time or maybe just fully flexed, this is just going to keep happening.

pretty crazy to replace the entire unit as it’s just a dust boot.
Did you call the dealer and ask if they would replace it again? And I wonder if you have lift collars, if they will void the claim.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I thought the bunched up shock boots were almost supposed to happen at this point since I have seen so many pics and questions about it. I figured this would just happen if you actually use it for its intended purpose. I didn’t think it would turn into a warranty issue with some crinkled up rubber. If it was torn I could see that happening. I may show mine to the dealer at the next oil change and see what happens. Wouldn’t mind a new set of rear shocks.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
They replaced one of mine under warranty and it’s bunched up again, but I do use mine regularly. The boot once bunched will eventually tear under continued intended use. I looked under a few Raptors at the Off Roadeo. All bunched some torn. It appears the spring pinches them.

I would think Ford would be getting of replacing these pretty soon. If not, it’s basically new rear shocks for life!

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I'm going to wait to warranty this until the new Fox shocks for the F-150 Raptors become available for the Broncos :)
I am thinking the same as you. Supposedly they will be available around May is what my shop said when they called Fox last week. Not sure how we flip a messed up shock boot into a race series coilover, but I would love to be able to do that. Ha.

Top Member Reactions