Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
8B3679C6-36CE-451B-8B13-1C17E7FED752.jpeg

I know a more direct comparison would be between an F150 Raptor R and a Ram TRX, but I have a feeling that the suspension and handling of the Bronco Raptor will be similar to the driving experience in the Raptor R. For one, the Bronco Raptor isn't a whole lot lighter than the Raptor R (5,730 lbs vs 6,000 lbs). I really like my TRX and it has taken everything I have thrown at it in stride. The first thing I noticed right off the bat between my TRX and newly arrived Bronco Raptor, is how much lighter the Bronco Raptor feels in the turns. The Bronco Raptor hides its weight really well and the body roll isn't nearly as noticeable as it is in the TRX. The TRX does weigh in at a hefty 6,440 lbs +/- and it feels every bit of that weight. The TRX's weight is a positive in some respects but more on that later. Even though the Bronco Raptor has 37-inch tires versus 35-inch tires on the TRX, it handles like it's on much smaller tires. The turn-in is fantastic on the Bronco Raptor and it makes you want to throw it into the turns. The Bronco Raptor is more fun on twisty backroads than a lot of "sports cars" I've driven.

The digital dash on the Bronco Raptor is great and I love how it switches to all-black with white gauges in Sport mode. Paddle shifting in the Bronco Raptor in Sport mode is a blast! The shifts are very quick, the rev-matched downshifts are fun and the exhaust note gets amplified by the valved exhaust system. The Recaro seats in the Bronco Raptor are more comfortable than the TRX seats and they seem to hold you better as well. All and all, the Bronco Raptor is a blast to drive on-road and it's not just a dedicated off-roader!

There is a lot to love about the Ram TRX as well. The engine is the obvious answer over the Bronco Raptor engine, but this is more of a comparison of what the Raptor R and Bronco Raptor share as Ford Performance vehicles. The interior is definitely a major plus on the TRX. All of the surfaces feel great and just about every panel is wrapped in leather and or suede. One of the best features I like about the TRX is the heads-up display. For the price that Ford is charging I can't believe they don't offer it with their luxury package. Speaking of price, the TRX is the big winner here. I picked up my 2022 Ram TRX with the Level 2 equipment group for about $90k. My Bronco Raptor ended up costing me just shy of the $100k mark at $97k and The Raptor R I have on order comes in at $111k MSRP plus a $15k ADM. With the Ford prices and limited availability, the value you get from the TRX is hard to look past.

The TRX is a very comfortable truck and the family loves it for road trips. This is where the weight is a positive for me. I like my family truck to feel solid and safe, and also be able to tow a nice enclosed trailer, car hauler, or boat. Before the TRX I had a 2018 Roush F150 with a 5.0L V8 and a Whipple Supercharger. That truck was a blast to drive and loved running from stoplight to stoplight. The all-aluminum body and 10-speed transmission made it way faster than it should be for an everyday four-door pickup truck. The downside to this high-strung lightweight truck was that it was not happy towing at highway speeds and it was always searching to be in the right gear. The TRX feels more like a heavy-duty truck and tows like a freight train. The 8-speed transmission rarely shifts with a load at high speeds and there is little to no sway. This is where I feel like the TRX shines because it does everything well (even when it comes to drinking fuel!).

In conclusion, I think all of these vehicles are fantastic and we are lucky that we have options like these. I think the Raptor R will be a riot to drive and will be as precise and sharp as a scalpel. If money is not a concern and you want a truck or SUV to hoon around in, then I think the Raptor R and the Bronco Raptor will be your Huckleberry. If you want a unique-looking truck with the brute force of a meat cleaver, then the TRX is your Bill the Butcher.

Bronco Raptor Pros
Suspension
Tires
Valved Exhaust
Weight
Seats

Ram TRX Pros
Price
Interior
Heads-up display
Unique exterior
Towing

IMG_1569.jpeg

Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Very nice write-up and thank you. I haven't driven a TRX however I do know the exhaust note is absolute ear candy.
I totally agree on the Bronco Raptor driving dynamics, I also haven't pushed it hard yet on the street, but even during break-in, it is definitely just Fun to drive.

BrrL357

Oct 4, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Military
No
Current Ride
22 TRX
Current Ride #2
22Trx
I have two daily trxs and a bronco raptor that gets time in the mix as well. In my experience I think the bronco drives much better than the trx but the trx is great so I’m definitely not complaining. Just two totally different animals. The trx comes nowhere close to the off-road capabilities of the bronco and the bronco turns WAY better. Love my Braptor and my trx. Hoping to get an R eventually.

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I have two daily trxs and a bronco raptor that gets time in the mix as well. In my experience I think the bronco drives much better than the trx but the trx is great so I’m definitely not complaining. Just two totally different animals. The trx comes nowhere close to the off-road capabilities of the bronco and the bronco turns WAY better. Love my Braptor and my trx. Hoping to get an R eventually.
Do you think you would trade a TRX for a Raptor R so you would have all three?

Powerfiend

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2022
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
Dodge Ram
Thanks for sharing that perspective. I do love my Braptor and could not agree more on its handling characteristics. I have not had a chance to push it off road yet but imagine it will do very well. I have multiple Rams and recently got the chance to drive a TRX. I was hooked and am thinking about getting rid of my other trucks and picking up a nice, slightly used TRX. For the exact purpose you described, driving the family around while towing a boat or toy trailer and feeling that security is real important to me.

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Thanks for sharing that perspective. I do love my Braptor and could not agree more on its handling characteristics. I have not had a chance to push it off road yet but imagine it will do very well. I have multiple Rams and recently got the chance to drive a TRX. I was hooked and am thinking about getting rid of my other trucks and picking up a nice, slightly used TRX. For the exact purpose you described, driving the family around while towing a boat or toy trailer and feeling that security is real important to me.
The TRX feels like a tank and makes towing a breeze. You won't pass many gas stations, but with my family on trips, I don't really pass even if I wanted to haha!

Top Member Reactions