Catalytic Converter Protection

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Depending on your region you may have heard about the high frequency of catalytic converter thefts due to the value of the precious metals used (Paladium, Platinum, Rhodium). Given how much clearance the BRaptor provides it’s been a concern of mine of how easy it might be to be targeted for theft. I find myself pretty paranoid of parking in public for any extended period of time.

And when you look underneath the vehicle it appears as though they’re in a fairly convenient location for access/removal. Am I missing something in terms of my concern? Are there any skid plate options that might at least hide them from view and thus deter a thief? Even if a bolt-on product is easy to remove, it still slows down the effort while hiding blocking visibility of where it sits. Would covering the cats create some overheating issues?

When I look at the FMI skidplates they don’t seem to cover the cats And not finding any other options that I know will fit the BRaptor much less ‘protect’ the cats. Talons Garage has some that help with this for the 2.7 but I think those are located slightly higher and less accessible.

Here’s a couple of images for reference:

FMI Skidplates:
IMG_0453.jpeg

Talons Garage (on a 2.7):
IMG_0454.jpeg

GLOCK10MM

Feb 19, 2023
NJ
Current Ride
2004 Dodge 2500 Cummings
Current Ride #2
2015 Jeep Rubicon JK
First Responder
(retired)
First thing that comes to my mind is a front & rear camera system w/ wifi. They are obvious for those who lurk in that world so maybe may encourage them to move to an easier target 🙏🤷‍♂️

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Depending on your region you may have heard about the high frequency of catalytic converter thefts due to the value of the precious metals used (Paladium, Platinum, Rhodium). Given how much clearance the BRaptor provides it’s been a concern of mine of how easy it might be to be targeted for theft. I find myself pretty paranoid of parking in public for any extended period of time.

And when you look underneath the vehicle it appears as though they’re in a fairly convenient location for access/removal. Am I missing something in terms of my concern? Are there any skid plate options that might at least hide them from view and thus deter a thief? Even if a bolt-on product is easy to remove, it still slows down the effort while hiding blocking visibility of where it sits. Would covering the cats create some overheating issues?

When I look at the FMI skidplates they don’t seem to cover the cats And not finding any other options that I know will fit the BRaptor much less ‘protect’ the cats. Talons Garage has some that help with this for the 2.7 but I think those are located slightly higher and less accessible.

Here’s a couple of images for reference:

FMI Skidplates:
View attachment 9142

Talons Garage (on a 2.7):
View attachment 9143
Is this happening to personal vehicles? I don't pay attention to the news. I know it is an issue with RV dealers where they come in at night and cut off 15 of them. It happened at an RV place my friend works at last year. I think they got about 12. They got a few dealerships within a short period of time. I also know it has happened in other areas as well as an owner of one told me it happened to him a few years ago. If If they are cutting them off it would be pretty loud. Are they now targeting personal vehicles. One at a time? The other thing he told me was they can't sell them to junkers in AZ. They passed a law but they take them to Texas where junkers are still allowed to buy them. The law didn't stop them, they were well organized. A one off guy wouldn't be.

Last edited:
OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
First thing that comes to my mind is a front & rear camera system w/ wifi. They are obvious for those who lurk in that world so maybe may encourage them to move to an easier target 🙏🤷‍♂️
Good point. I’ve installed a Garmin cam that’s pretty easy to spot but haven’t installed the harness for constant power.

Still would like to see some sort of skidplate that provides protection and security.

OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I’m in Texas and this is a thing; I personally know 3 people that have had theirs stolen all of which has happened when parked in public and a variety of vehicles (F-150, Sierra & Accord). Given our vehicles (and Bronco in general) sit so much higher than the average and skid plates are relatively commonplace I‘m thinking there’s a decent chance of a straightforward solution if not an opportunity for many off-road brands.

GLOCK10MM

Feb 19, 2023
NJ
Current Ride
2004 Dodge 2500 Cummings
Current Ride #2
2015 Jeep Rubicon JK
First Responder
(retired)
I’m in Texas and this is a thing; I personally know 3 people that have had theirs stolen all of which has happened when parked in public and a variety of vehicles (F-150, Sierra & Accord). Given our vehicles (and Bronco in general) sit so much higher than the average and skid plates are relatively commonplace I‘m thinking there’s a decent chance of a straightforward solution if not an opportunity for many off-road brands.
Same here in NJ. :mad:

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Yes as you say a skid plate that provides protection and security would be great. I look forward to following this and looking for a solution.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
All too often, these are being stolen (very quickly) by crews that are not concerned with daylight, camera-monitored or well lit locales. One of the options being offered by many local police agencies is free permanent marking-done so that the VIN or other reference number is obvious to would be thieves before they start cutting, to prevent the theft in the first place. Not a perfect solution but one more defensive measure to harden the target.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I don't think there is a significant concern with the catalytic converters being stolen off a Bronco Raptor, or at least much less likely. They are very difficult to see let alone get to with a Sawzall (reciprocating saw). What's shown in the pic above and below left is the exhaust flex pipe in the mid section, the Catalytic Converters (large diameter with silver/goldish color heat shielding wrap shown below) are in the engine compartment fastened directly to the Turbo's. The thieves are after the catalytic converters that are under the car (low hanging fruit) and can be quickly removed with a sawzall within few seconds.
I do agree the FMI transmission skid plate would make the theives task even more difficult, but as we know, almost nothing is impossible.
Pic below of the Bronco Raptor chassis showing exhaust starting with the Cats that bolt to the Turbo's.
IMG_3154.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Thanks for the clarity. I was confusing the flex pipe for the cats and now you’ve confirmed that I was missing something pretty straightforward.

You’re right, there’s no accessing the cats without some serious disassembly of other parts. And now that you show this I think I remember a video of the install of the downpipes which took some work to get everything out.

One less thing I need to worry about much less potentially purchase!

OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Here's the video I was thinking of: SVT Performance install of the SPD Performance Downpipes (say that 3 times real fast). The video is set to start at the point that they pull the passenger side pipes out and you can see just how deep the cats are located up in the engine bay.

Top Member Reactions