Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Do these intercoolers (Cobb, Whipple) reuse the active shutters or just reconnect the harness to the motor but without any shutters in place? Not sure I care as much curious as the aero gains of closed shutters probably doesn't make up for the improvements in cooling.

I've watched a few videos (Lethal, SVT Performance) and it seems as though the shutters are left off when completing the install. Not sure if they are just choosing to leave them off or the new intercooler doesn't leave room for them.

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
  • Mates up snugly to OEM shutter shroud to funnel air through ambient side fins like OEM
Whipple you have to taken them off, Cobb you can leave the front ones on. Different designs between the Cobb and Whipple

Ricky

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2022
Gallery
Sunnyvale
Some additional information from Cobb Support:

Thank you for contacting COBB Support!!

It is a stock location intercooler so it will retain all OEM features such as the adaptive cruise sensor and fans/shrouds without any permanent modifications. The stock intercooler comes right out of the bottom and the upgraded COBB unit goes right back up into its place, no need to remove any front bumper or grill components.

Our Bronco in the install guide did not have the rear shutter option, but that is correct transfer the shroud over and the one bolt keeps it on and snug on the support posts.

So, it appears you can drop the stock intercooler out of the bottom leaving the Shutters, Actuator Motor and Adaptive cruise sensor right in the stock location. No bracket needed to transfer or zip tie anything.

Remove the rear shutter assembly and bolt it on the Cobb unit and raise the unit back into the stock location.

Their customer support has been quick to respond and answer questions.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Do these intercoolers (Cobb, Whipple) reuse the active shutters or just reconnect the harness to the motor but without any shutters in place? Not sure I care as much curious as the aero gains of closed shutters probably doesn't make up for the improvements in cooling.

I've watched a few videos (Lethal, SVT Performance) and it seems as though the shutters are left off when completing the install. Not sure if they are just choosing to leave them off or the new intercooler doesn't leave room for them.
I have the Whipple on mine and it is too large for either shutter to fit once the intercooler is in. It is easily twice the size of the stock one and fills up the space where the shutters were. You just zip tie the motor to a bracket that comes with it and keep it plugged in so it thinks it is still doing something and doesn't throw a code.

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
On my list and something with greater functionality and performance impact than most of the other ‘investments’ I’ve made to the rig. If only I had taken advantage of the sale back in July.

412Brap

Jul 13, 2023
Gallery
PNW via #412
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Aston Martin DBX707
I have the Cobb intercooler on my Bronco Raptor. At first, we installed it and reinstalled all the shutters. After driving it about 350 miles, we pulled all the shutters in the truck and reinstalled the intercoolers. Massive difference. Honestly I would tell anyone, before buying an intercooler, first try removing all the shutters then logging your IAT2 temps.

Top Member Reactions