Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find a post on D rings. Doesn't mean it isn't there, I just couldn't find it.

With the discussion about off road recovery do most think a good pair of D rings essential with your soft shackles? Or simply put the soft shackle on the Clevis with a protective sleeve?

As well, what brands of D rings do you like? AR have some nice ones but I don't like the color options. Black would work well on my rig and they only have a few color options.

What does everyone think. Need a set of D Rings and if so which ones?

Thanks

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Several of our members here now have these front bumper Shackles (D-rings)

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
I spoke with Bubba Ropes. They believe with Chafe guards I should be fine. As well, the Raptor front clevis the edges are rounded so I should be fine..

irishkpo

Aug 16, 2022
Gallery
Minnesota
Current Ride
'23 - Raptor - Code Orange (mine) AND on order a '24 HLE 2dr - Yellowstone (wife's)
Current Ride #2
Rental Car of the week...
Well I was at an event this weekend where we kinetic recovered a Gladiator and had the soft shackle get cut right in half from the attachment point on the bumper. Looked like a knife sliced through it. Sent the kinetic rope flying.

Anyway we installed one of my bow shackles from my truck on his bumper and we were able to yank him up and over the obstacle just fine. A quality bow shackle is going to last longer than any winch line.

Knowing what I know now I'd would have bought these.
That split design is a little pricey compared to a standard bow shackle but the convenience factor of being able to attach right to the rope. No soft shackle needed.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Well I was at an event this weekend where we kinetic recovered a Gladiator and had the soft shackle get cut right in half from the attachment point on the bumper. Looked like a knife sliced through it. Sent the kinetic rope flying.

Anyway we installed one of my bow shackles from my truck on his bumper and we were able to yank him up and over the obstacle just fine. A quality bow shackle is going to last longer than any winch line.

Knowing what I know now I'd would have bought these.
That split design is a little pricey compared to a standard bow shackle but the convenience factor of being able to attach right to the rope. No soft shackle needed.
Interesting. Any idea of what size and brand of soft shackle?

irishkpo

Aug 16, 2022
Gallery
Minnesota
Current Ride
'23 - Raptor - Code Orange (mine) AND on order a '24 HLE 2dr - Yellowstone (wife's)
Current Ride #2
Interesting. Any idea of what size and brand of soft shackle?
Wasn’t my truck doing the recovery. So, it wasn’t mine and I didn’t catch the brand of the soft shackle. He mentioned it was a Christmas present though so it was a new one.

irishkpo

Aug 16, 2022
Gallery
Minnesota
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Wasn’t my truck doing the recovery. So, it wasn’t mine and I didn’t catch the brand of the soft shackle. He mentioned it was a Christmas present though so it was a new one.
Let’s be clear here. I’m NOT advocating against soft shackles. I think they are great. I’d rather use them any day over metal parts in most of the recovery chain. Why create a missile if something breaks.

With that said I also think that the attachment on the vehicle itself should be a metal shackle rather than connecting directly to most aftermarket bumper connections which are machined and thus typically have a “relatively” sharp edge compared to a rounded shackle. The lack of any possible sharp edges in a bow shackle protects the soft stuff.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
Did the soft shackle have a protective sleeve on it and if you know, we’re there sharp edges on the bumper part that it was attaché to?

irishkpo

Aug 16, 2022
Gallery
Minnesota
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Had a sleeve. I think just about any machined bumper unless they take the time to round the edges is going to be relatively sharp especially compared to a shackle. Especially if you are pulling at any angle other than dead straight on you’re concentrating the force on a corner of the attachment point. If it is “sharp” and that’s a relative term then It will cut. With a shackle the curve allows you to pull up to about 45 degrees off center and distribute that load across the whole vehicle attachment point provided the pin fits snug.

However. I do think that this particular bumper involved looked like it didn’t have any rounding in that hole and it just cut right through that soft shackle.

I did remember the bumper brand though if anyone wants to look at the attachment points.

Did the soft shackle have a protective sleeve on it and if you know, we’re there sharp edges on the bumper part that it was attaché to?

Johnny Mo

Nov 20, 2023
Gallery
Westchester County, NY
Current Ride
23 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
16 Ducati XDiavel
I have the Archetype Racing SITH shackles, they make a slightly smaller version now as well.
PXL_20230626_175201130.jpg

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
I have the Archetype Racing SITH shackles, they make a slightly smaller version now as well.
View attachment 11988
They look black. They only seem to have bright colors available. The only ones that I could see work on my black Raptor is the green. Did they use to offer black? Perhaps I should call them and see if they can do them.

Johnny Mo

Nov 20, 2023
Gallery
Westchester County, NY
Current Ride
23 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
16 Ducati XDiavel
They look black. They only seem to have bright colors available. The only ones that I could see work on my black Raptor is the green. Did they use to offer black? Perhaps I should call them and see if they can do them.
1709843061339.png

Are you looking at the SBD ones? Those are the smaller version. The original SITH are the ones I have and they are available in gloss and flat black. There's also a Bronco 6G coupon code if you want to get something more custom or have questions - reach out to Curtis (EIGHTLUG on 6G) and he will get you squared away.

1709843227997.png

No - even the smaller ones come in black - not sure where you were looking. But here's the website

www.archetyperacing.com

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
View attachment 11990
Are you looking at the SBD ones? Those are the smaller version. The original SITH are the ones I have and they are available in gloss and flat black. There's also a Bronco 6G coupon code if you want to get something more custom or have questions - reach out to Curtis (EIGHTLUG on 6G) and he will get you squared away.

View attachment 11992

No - even the smaller ones come in black - not sure where you were looking. But here's the website

www.archetyperacing.com

View attachment 11990

View attachment 11992

www.archetyperacing.com
Great thanks, I was going to the hitch mounted D rings. The pictures drew me in and they do not come in black. Thanks, I looked a few times and every time I clicked on the hitch mount.

Thanks again,

Top Member Reactions