Dash cam

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Going through a similar decision at the moment: Action Cam such as GoPro/DJI or DashCam such as ThinkWare/Garmin. Action Cam would see limited use but can be used for different activities whereas a DashCam will be used everytime I drive with potential security functionality but only be used for driving activities.

BigP

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Sep 21, 2022
Gallery
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
I have the garmin mini dash cam 2 with the dongar dash cam dongal that grabs power from the mirror. Its super small and dissapears behind the mirror.

Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2, 1080p, 140-degree​

Dongar Technologies Dash Cam Power Adapter 16-pin​

Here's a link to one of my videos from last week

Slomotone

Feb 13, 2023
Gallery
San Juan
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
BMW 535i
I Use the GoPro Hero 11, purchased at Costco in a bundle package. It works particularly well because of the advanced image stablization for quality smooth images even in bumpy Offroad driving. Amazin has a Robust accessory kit With case for 47 bucks https://a.co/d/hMRojlB

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I ended up not making a decision by buying one of each type: Insta360 One RS for trail days, bike riding and other activities and a 70Mai DashCam for everyday driving. The 70Mai will be hardwired to the interior fuse panel for parking mode use while I have a Archetype SLAP/BPM and BALLS to use permanently in my BRaptor.

What I'm really looking forward to is bringing the Insta360 to the Raptor Off-Roadeo and recording that day from the dashboard...not sure if I'll use the 4K lens or the 360 lens so I can capture forward-viewing and also being able to pan over to interior (see reactions from the driver). I just got the Insta360 in yesterday so figuring it out. I do have a 67 Designs Ball w/ Action Cam attachment for now so that will be easy to bring with me and use the Accessory Mount on the dash at Off-Roadeo but might be looking for a suction mount as an alternative.

jgtuna

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Houston, TX
Insta360 i
I ended up not making a decision by buying one of each type: Insta360 One RS for trail days, bike riding and other activities and a 70Mai DashCam for everyday driving. The 70Mai will be hardwired to the interior fuse panel for parking mode use while I have a Archetype SLAP/BPM and BALLS to use permanently in my BRaptor.

What I'm really looking forward to is bringing the Insta360 to the Raptor Off-Roadeo and recording that day from the dashboard...not sure if I'll use the 4K lens or the 360 lens so I can capture forward-viewing and also being able to pan over to interior (see reactions from the driver). I just got the Insta360 in yesterday so figuring it out. I do have a 67 Designs Ball w/ Action Cam attachment for now so that will be easy to bring with me and use the Accessory Mount on the dash at Off-Roadeo but might be looking for a suction mount as an alternative.
Insta360 is great on trail and at Offroadeo. Here is a video I made from Offroadeo in Austin last year shot with Insta…

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Thanks...I'm beginning to realize that the 360 camera might not be the best option for in-cab as you really need a foot+ of distance from the base to the camera so that it can properly stitch the two sets of files together. Best use to take full advantage of the 360 functionality is on some sort of selfie-stick or extension rod. Apparently will have several months to test it out given no dates announced yet.

jgtuna

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Houston, TX
Thanks...I'm beginning to realize that the 360 camera might not be the best option for in-cab as you really need a foot+ of distance from the base to the camera so that it can properly stitch the two sets of files together. Best use to take full advantage of the 360 functionality is on some sort of selfie-stick or extension rod. Apparently will have several months to test it out given no dates announced yet.
Agree - not ideal for inside - I use both a 3-leg suction or a single magnetic stand (with security cables just in case). Sort of a pain to make sure it is recording if you mount up high - so I found it was good on the hood where you can verify the record light and it is a good spot to get fairly good unobstructed coverage of everything for about a 270 degree view...

For inside (on other vehicles) I've used the Insta360 mounted via suction mount to the passenger side window to capture me driving/talking and/or different view angle out drivers window or through the windshield...

Top Member Reactions