🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
FYI. PSA. Noticed my exhaust modes were not working by sound and the noticed there was no icon for exhaust in the dash when I selected modes, like Baja. When manually selecting I got warning that the “mode was not available in this driving mode”.

So I was crawling under the truck yesterday to examine latest trail scars (I got hung up on a rock on a wet muddy climb and had to winch over it to get free) And noticed a harness and very damaged plug hanging by what I’m guessing are the exhaust valve actuators (or something like that). There are one of these on each pipe.

im guessing when I got a large branch wedged up between the body tub, the driveline and my muffler, that said branch speared the connection on the “actuator“ breaking the plug and the zip tie clip. I’m having trouble getting the plug replugged after bending pins back into place, maybe needs a little electrical grease. But the clip on the plug was destroyed.

in any case, just registering a possible root cause to losing your exhaust mode selectivity in the future.

PS: everyone should climb under their trucks to see all the little bits and pieces that can get snagged all too easily under our trucks. All those things make the truck great, but frighteningly easy to break stuff IMO.

first pic is general area and of course my problem is the one on top in the back.

IMG_7433.jpeg

this is the plug just zip tied in place for the moment, but the connector damage is evident

IMG_7435.jpeg

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
FYI. PSA. Noticed my exhaust modes were not working by sound and the noticed there was no icon for exhaust in the dash when I selected modes, like Baja. When manually selecting I got warning that the “mode was not available in this driving mode”.

So I was crawling under the truck yesterday to examine latest trail scars (I got hung up on a rock on a wet muddy climb and had to winch over it to get free) And noticed a harness and very damaged plug hanging by what I’m guessing are the exhaust valve actuators (or something like that). There are one of these on each pipe.

im guessing when I got a large branch wedged up between the body tub, the driveline and my muffler, that said branch speared the connection on the “actuator“ breaking the plug and the zip tie clip. I’m having trouble getting the plug replugged after bending pins back into place, maybe needs a little electrical grease. But the clip on the plug was destroyed.

in any case, just registering a possible root cause to losing your exhaust mode selectivity in the future.

PS: everyone should climb under their trucks to see all the little bits and pieces that can get snagged all too easily under our trucks. All those things make the truck great, but frighteningly easy to break stuff IMO.

first pic is general area and of course my problem is the one on top in the back.

View attachment 9673

this is the plug just zip tied in place for the moment, but the connector damage is evident

View attachment 9674
As soon as I started to read this post, I remembered that stick you mentioned else where that you had to dislodge from the underside. Difficult location and time consuming repair, need to convince your dealer it's a warranty issue. Guessing this plug may have been used on other FMC products with active exhaust, therefore may have a better probability of replacement.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone posting breaking this rear suspension sensor for the active shocks, seems more than just vulnerable. The front tires have a direct aim at this tiny connector and sensor arm, bottom shock bolt is protected by a shield but his little fragile necessary component is left in the open daring reality.
IMG_3871.jpeg

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I was looking at the. Sensor. Im surprised we haven’t seen issues yet, but it has to be a pretty narrow pretty tall rock in just the right place to strike that. Branches are a bit more of a wild card.

I’ll be stopping and removing big branches in the trail from now on. At least our tranny pans are protected!

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Minor update. Once I straightened, cleaned and lubricated the both side of the plug I was able to get it plugged in and zip tied together. The clip mechanism is toast. And the results are……

Exhaust modes are restored, exhaust mode icon is displayed on digital cluster again. Just like new, except I know that zip tie is precariously perched on what’s left of the plug.

So it only takes an open on one exhaust valve actuator to disable the active exhaust modes.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Another Update: ford looked at the issue. The retaining clip is part of the actuator harness clip and that’s part of the actuator and that’s part of the exhaust pipe in that area, so it’s a $2900 fix to get a new retainer clip to secure the connection.

So i scavenged a harness clip and will use that with some high heat harness tape in addition to a zip tie on the plug (my current quick fix) to “fix” the issue. that’s a tomorrow job.

I just can’t justify spending that much money for a non-critical issue in an absolutely unseeable position that doesn’t improve functionality over my ‘trail fix’ solution. Also, until I figure out a way to protect those freaking actuators I’m reluctant to spend that money.

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
As soon as I started to read this post, I remembered that stick you mentioned else where that you had to dislodge from the underside. Difficult location and time consuming repair, need to convince your dealer it's a warranty issue. Guessing this plug may have been used on other FMC products with active exhaust, therefore may have a better probability of replacement.
Speaking of sticks . . .

Ever since I've been putting the 🌶️ Raptor through her paces, I noticed a "loose bracket" chunking sound on washboard roads (Baja or Off-Road mode) or frame twisting trails (Rock Crawl mode). At first, I feared it was the driver front suspension, then I thought it might be the add-on RCI rock sliders or the sway bar. Nope, everything was solid on the underside. It was driving me crazy! Consistantly coming from under the driver's feet and rarley under the passenger's feet.

Finally, when I was down in The Maze last month, I had some time to crawl under the 🌶️ Raptor and ponder the source. I postulated that it was the transmission skid "wings" flexing and hitting the K-brace on the frame. So, I found a couple of 1/2" dia sticks and wedged them between the skid and the K-brace as an isolator. I field tested the daylights out of the washboard roads and rock crawl twists. No sound! Problem solved! Version 2.0 will be something other than a stick. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions