Fender Flares

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
I know the flares on the Raptor are either love em or hate em. The flares are the size they are because the wheels and tires are outside of the envelope of the vehicle and by some state laws, they need to be fully covered, right? For the haters, is this really any different than the Wrangler front fenders? The wheels are outside of the engine compartment envelope, and I don't think anyone thinks they look too big (or they are used to them). Just an observation while walking around my neighborhood and seeing all of the wranglers. I'm undecided on the flares until i see them in person, but it was my morning thoughts.

I wasn't a fan of the flares when the first pictures and ford released vides came out. I thought they were too much and ford was trying to hard to release another trim level to charge more money. just trying to capitalize on profits. Boy was I wrong once i stood next to it in person at King of the Hammers race. They fit the vehicle very well and compliment the larger size of the Raptor. now there might be room for some improvement once the aftermarket gets a hold of it, but we will see if the cost will be worth the end result.

I like the fender flares now, I did not initially. I like round fender openings and the Sasquatch flares, but I like the Raptor's flares better on a Raptor and when you see it in person they just visually fit the styling theme. There is far to many mechanical advancements, real Raptor hardware ruggedness, to let the flares alter my perception and desire for this Ultimate Bronco. I agree with RoBear these flares seem to be more suttle and add to the bold design when seen in person. Many of the photo's that are taken with small lenses (cell phones) accentuate the flares as they are closer to the lens. The Pro-photo's (big lenses) taken at a greater distance are closer to a real life visual.

I am a big fan of the fender flares. I am one of the rare people who has always liked them. Going to need a little more ceramic coating :).

Yeah I like the Raptor’s fenders too. Not an issue for me. Agree with @BROVL adding a ceramic coating will help them last. After I have the Bronco for a while, if I want to change the look there will be options.
FYI- Spoke to ADV fiberglass shop. They are developing fenders for the Bronco Raptor.
8 inch wide, which will be paint ready. My son has their fenders in his Gen 1 Raptor and the quality is great.

Yeah I like the Raptor’s fenders too. Not an issue for me. Agree with @BROVL adding a ceramic coating will help them last. After I have the Bronco for a while, if I want to change the look there will be options.
FYI- Spoke to ADV fiberglass shop. They are developing fenders for the Bronco Raptor.
8 inch wide, which will be paint ready. My son has their fenders in his Gen 1 Raptor and the quality is great.
I watched the video to replace the fenders on the bronco. It’s a pretty major job. And the fact that raptors fenders extend to the doors will make it even harder. I will figure something out but probably won’t replace them with adb. ESP since ford feels these will be a replaceable item.

I was at the NY Auto Show Friday, this was the first time I saw the Bronco Raptor in person. I thought the flares looked good with all the other black items like the roof, grill, pillars, side steps and trim. Wider body panels may not improve the looks much and may be prone to damage from rocks.

Ok, this is a question for all you folks that saw the Raptor in person. I was originally thinking that I would seriously consider body color painting those fenders, but I am starting to think that they look fine as is. I have never seen it in person. Thoughts?

Ok, this is a question for all you folks that saw the Raptor in person. I was originally thinking that I would seriously consider body color painting those fenders, but I am starting to think that they look fine as is. I have never seen it in person. Thoughts?
I have also considered painting the flares body color, however my concern is stone chipping even from just highway driving especially on the rear door section. you could add PPF on top of the paint however I think even the PPF would get beat up over time, once that happens when you pull the PPF off to replace it there is a good chance you will also pull the non-OEM paint off the flares. So initially I plan to leave them black and monitor stone impingement before deciding. The flares black matches the grill and other black parts, the roof however I may have painted body color.

Haven't seen one in person....but dont think i am going to care much.

Interesting idea, would a wrap be in gloss or satin finish and would the wrap be durable enough?
Good question, no idea how durable it would be. If I wrap the whole thing in stealth PPF then I would have to do the same on fenders as well.

I was also considering the stealth PPF for the flares alone and will be doing all body color surfaces in regular PPF. I thought the color wraps didn't have the durability of PPF. Need to investigate as the technology is always changing.

It's so refreshing to see a discussion about the fender flares that isn't just page after page of mocking them like over on the "6" forum. That's the reason I won't joint that forum.

For me, I neither hate or love the flares. I'm completely fine with them the way they are. The Bronco Raptor takes the already capable Bronco and takes everything to the next level. I'll be leaving the flares as they are because I will be wheeling mine at least every couple weeks and they are the parts most likely to bump against something. It will be much easier and less expensive than if the flares were integrated into the body made of metal.

I'll be leaving the flares as they are because I will be wheeling mine at least every couple weeks and they are the parts most likely to bump against something.
This.

Probably why Ford made the flares out of plastic...

But I also went for the MGV interior so could be in the minority of intended use 😉.

Last edited:
Back