FORD/CHINA

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
I Happened to be doing some stock market research this past week and noticed a headline on my homepage in regards to Ford Motor Company striking a deal with CATL, which is the largest producers of EV batteries in china. Basically Ford is building a 3.5 billion dollar plant in Michigan for producing EV batteries, to open in 2026. The bullet points of the deal are that ford is actually paying for the use of Chinese technology and there will be Chinese engineers in the factory and some Chinese equipment. The plant will be owned and run by ford with Ford union workers. Fords ultimate goal is to be able to produce EV batteries in house self sufficient. So I believe that ford will utilize Chinese technology and engineers until ford is up and running 100 percent on it's own and then the Chinese engineers will leave, I assume based on the research I have done. Currently Ford has a agreement for EV batteries with LG and SK, who I believe are very top quality Korean companies ( United States allies as well). I took 5 minutes to watch the CNBC video with Jim Farley who was taking questions from Cnbc analysts. I did not go to college for psychology , but in my opinion it was a awkward interview and Mr. Farleys body language and answers to questions was to put it simple very uncomfortable. Before Ford fan boys start bashing me please watch the video and keep in mind that the interview is being conducted by Cnbc, which is a very globalistic leans liberal business network. To put it bluntly, MR. Farley was uncomfortable and maybe irritated by the questions.

I guess my question to customers who have been ford fan boys, like myself, how do you feel about this considering what is going on with Russia and the fact that china is a ally of Russia and has been purchasing Russian oil during the war and has been supplying Russia with weapons and is having a summit with president Putin this week. I do believe most of America has black balled Russia, what about china ? Mr. Farleys answer in the interview is " there are no other options ", as the lady from CNBC asks what's wrong with Panasonic, who toyota works with. General Motors I believe is using LG. No other options ? Really ?

Considering Ford just reported their terrible earnings last week and lost 2 billion dollars in profit and lead to their stock price dropping while GM, TESLA, TOYOTA, and Stellantis all reported great earnings I have to think if this is part of a cost cutting measure as most Chinese companies do work cheap.

I know the bronco Raptor does not utilize a EV battery but in my opinion this move by ford is TERRIBLE OPTICS and a real questionable direction to go considering the tensions between the United States , Russia, and China. Seems very selfish to me. And by the way Michigan was not Fords first choice for the plant, Virginia was but Virginia turned them down because of the china relationship. Do I need to mention spying balloons in the United States and canada.

In approximately 10 days I am supposed to be writing a $ 85,000.00 check to ford motor company, but I am not feeling very good about it. The other thing I find odd is that Panasonic is in the process of building a massive EV battery plant in Kansas. By the way Panasonic is a great Japanese company and Japan is a ally of the United States.

Before you bash me, please watch the video and do your own research.

OP
F

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
By the I am not being a troll, I am actually a Ford Fan boy who owns a F 150 37 raptor, a GT 350 R, and a GT 500 CFTP and I am about to receive a bronco raptor and I have been to the ford racing school in North Carolina 3 times so this actually breaks my heart.

I am just curious what other ford customers think.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
What's the movie, "50 Shades of Gray"??? Fords decision is certainly in the darker hues here and clearly is focused on P&L. In some ways I can't blame them as P&L is the ultimate goal of any publicly-traded company and the other battery manufacturers may be too expensive or not interested in such a partnership that effectively puts the leverage with Ford.

To me this has always been the underlying strategy of Tesla. Not to make cars but to develop large-scale demand for batteries and then be in a position to dominate that aspect of the EV market.

OP
F

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
What's the movie, "50 Shades of Gray"??? Fords decision is certainly in the darker hues here and clearly is focused on P&L. In some ways I can't blame them as P&L is the ultimate goal of any publicly-traded company and the other battery manufacturers may be too expensive or not interested in such a partnership that effectively puts the leverage with Ford.

To me this has always been the underlying strategy of Tesla. Not to make cars but to develop large-scale demand for batteries and then be in a position to dominate that aspect of the EV market.

Agreed. Although Tesla does sell vehicles in china , they keep their china vehicles and batteries in china. I believe Tesla has a agreement in the U.S. with Panasonic. And Tesla does develop some of their own batteries. I just don't like the decision on fords part and after watching Farleys interview and his body language and listening to his answers to CNBC questions he was not comfortable. Kind of like the high school senior who takes a freshman girl to the prom = a bit uncomfortable. Or the 75 year old man who marries a 25 year old = sleazy.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
Agreed. Although Tesla does sell vehicles in china , they keep their china vehicles and batteries in china. I believe Tesla has a agreement in the U.S. with Panasonic. And Tesla does develop some of their own batteries. I just don't like the decision on fords part and after watching Farleys interview and his body language and listening to his answers to CNBC questions he was not comfortable. Kind of like the high school senior who takes a freshman girl to the prom = a bit uncomfortable. Or the 75 year old man who marries a 25 year old = sleazy.
Although I have not seen the Farley interview, it does not sound like a confidence builder. As an aside, I noticed you said that China provided weapons to Russia. I have been following that situation closely on the news and your comment is the first that I heard it actually happened. Do you have any specifics on the type of weapons? That is a huge move on China's part if it is true.

OP
F

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
Although I have not seen the Farley interview, it does not sound like a confidence builder. As an aside, I noticed you said that China provided weapons to Russia. I have been following that situation closely on the news and your comment is the first that I heard it actually happened. Do you have any specifics on the type of weapons? That is a huge move on China's part if it is true.
China has been buying fuel from Russia thru the Ukraine war. There are reports that china has been selling arms to Russia on a small scale. But just in the last week it has come out that china is now seriously thinking about doing it on a much larger scale. Just you tube cnn china / Russia threats. And just watch how awkward Farley is during the CNBC interview.

OP
F

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
China has been buying fuel from Russia thru the Ukraine war. There are reports that china has been selling arms to Russia on a small scale. But just in the last week it has come out that china is now seriously thinking about doing it on a much larger scale. Just you tube cnn china / Russia threats. And just watch how awkward Farley is during the CNBC interview.
Even though my bronco raptor is gas powered I feel like I am supporting Chinese battery technology in a roundabout way. Lets put it this way, I don't feel comfortable writing a $ 85,000.00 dollar check to any company who is doing business with china when there are clearly other options. And if you watch the CNbc interview, that's what the lady from CNbc is implying.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023
Gallery
wi
Current Ride
22 Braptor
Current Ride #2
12' Raptor
china has gone to great lengths through corruption and graft to secure the raw materials to make batteries from countries like congo. The raw materials to make batteies like lithium and other rare earth elements are strategic resources the US just doesn't have in abundance. it's no surprise that companies like ford have to cotow to china if they want to make ev's.

OP
F

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
china has gone to great lengths through corruption and graft to secure the raw materials to make batteries from countries like congo. The raw materials to make batteies like lithium and other rare earth elements are strategic resources the US just doesn't have in abundance. it's no surprise that companies like ford have to cotow to china if they want to make ev's.

True, but there are other options. Panasonic, a great Japanese company and United States ally, is utilizing raw materials in Nevada. There is also companies like MP materials. There are other options but unfortunately ford is seeking the " cheap" way out which usually leads back to china. It also doesn't help that Ford had a disastrous earnings report 2 weeks ago, when all there competitors had great earnings reports. Even stellantis, Ram, had a much better earnings report than ford.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
All too political for me. But this clearly this troubles you. Sleep easier, don’t buy the Braptor.

OP
F

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
All too political for me. But this clearly this troubles you. Sleep easier, don’t buy the Braptor.
I'm certainly leaning that way. Unfortunately in 2020 when covid hit we did not learn anything about being dependent on china, at least Ford is clearly proving this. But I guess when you have a disastrous earning report it causes desperation to keep stock holders happy.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Watching the CNBC interview now...Farley isn't as composed as he normally, feels a lot like Chris Farley selling automotive parts in Tommy Boy. He's pressed on why CATL as opposed to other alternatives but isn't in a position to go deeper into the selection process or what the other actual alternatives were.

OP
F

ftc120

Dec 28, 2022
ME.
Current Ride
F 150 RAPTOR 37
Current Ride #2
GT 500 CFTP
Watching the CNBC interview now...Farley isn't as composed as he normally, feels a lot like Chris Farley selling automotive parts in Tommy Boy. He's pressed on why CATL as opposed to other alternatives but isn't in a position to go deeper into the selection process or what the other actual alternatives were.
That’s what I felt. That’s why I asked members to actually watch the video before people started bashing me. Again I am as much a ford fan boy as anyone here, but this breaks my heart and I feel like ford is only worried about trying to make up for a bad earnings report. Very troubling. And keep in mind the network the interview takes place on = CNBC, which is usually pro China.

Top Member Reactions