🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
This is going to be a two part summary. Part 1 is modifications necessary to allow the Foutz skids to work with RCI Frame Mount sliders (and probably similar to other frame mount sliders). Part 2 will focus on the installation of the modified sliders.

The Foutz skids arrived well packaged in perfect condition, stout like all their products and included all the necessary hardware. Note: it was impossible to tell if I received the necessary hardware as there was no packing list, no mention or pictures of the parts in the instructions and the instructions were incorrect and indicated many more parts were required or optional than were received. I think these were Bronco instructions labeled as Raptor instructions. However, they are supposed to update to the correct instructions today on their web site.

The Foutz skids have a “tongue“ that lays along the frame at the front of the skid. Unfortunately, my RCI frame mounted sliders have a bracket that lays partway across the bottom of the frame on the drivers side where the Foutz Skid tongue needs to mount. Fortunately, there is enough space for them to lay next to each other if you remove about a third of the width of the tongue. I figured that they should lay flat next to each other as the drivers side skid tongue does not bolt down.

Laying the tongue on top of the slider bracket won’t work as the mounting holes on the skid won’t line up with the frame bracket holes.

After test fitting and measuring (three times) I used some blue tape to mark the area to be removed. Using a hand grinder with cut-off wheel, I made two cuts to remove the taped area. As expected, I needed to remove a little more metal on the leading edge cut, so I used a grinding wheel next to remove a little more material and chamfer the edge. I did a test fit or two to arrive at the right amount of material to remove. All in all, not a difficult modification. Just took couple hours with painting.

Ultimately, the drivers side skid bolted in easily. The passenger side is sadly still a work in progress. More on that in Part 2!

The first picture shows the area to be removed covered in blue tape on each skid (NOTE: the passenger side skid does not need to be modified for the RCI slider. the passenger side RCI covers the entire frame width, and the Foutz skid can lay on top of the RCI and under the OEM tank skid. Then the tank skid bolt sandwiches all of this together).
It also shows the correct hardware pack and nut plates.
IMG_8266.jpeg

This shows the two cuts I made with a hand grinder and cut-off wheel.
IMG_8270.jpeg

This shows the amount I ground off the leading edge, it’s angled to achieve the fit, but not dig into the HDPE. I filed, primed and painted the exposed edges prior to installing.
IMG_8272.jpeg

Here’s a picture with the skid on as a test fit and how the modified tongue now lies next to the RCI slider frame bracket. I’m considering welding the two parts together, but Foutz assured me this is unnecessary as their normal installation does not bolt the drivers side tongue to the frame (there is no existing hole to do say anyway).

IMG_8274.jpeg

here’s a fully installed side shot
IMG_8292.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Looks great!! I just got mine today and I hope to have them installed later today👊
couple tips…

Just checked the install instructions are still not updated. Use them as a general guideline only.

You should have 4 bolts with washers and two nut plates. These all go in the drivers side. The remaining bolt/nut/washer goes on the passenger which is also secured by the skid plate bolt. Yes, only two mounting points on passenger side. And no, there are no spacers involved or nut plates for passenger side. The instructions are mind boggling wrong!

Assuming you are doing this without a lift, you’ll need to get the rear wheel drooped to get the link bolt to move so you can cut the flag.

Once you get the flag cut and rotated it’s pretty apparent where the bolts and nut plates have to go and there are marking on the nut plates to orient it right side up.

The outside nut plate was easy, but I found locking needle nose vise grips a the tab of the inside nut plate made this much easier to keep that in place while threading bolts.

On the passenger side I used a T25 but taped onto a small 1/4” box end wrench to get the more difficult on the inside bolt cover. The other bolt is more accessible.

Sadly after getting the flag cut, covers removed and four skid plate bolts out I was unable to “slip” the skid onto the bracket and under the skid plate simultaneously.

Thus I only have one skid installed while I wait for Foutz to confirm that I have to drop the skid, tank and 20 gallons of gas to get the skid on. I hope I don’t have to do that but I’m not seeing how I get around it with the length of the skid

Good luck!

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
Just so Im understanding this correctly, if one had the stock sliders/step on, the flange would not need to be cut and the install would be straightforward and easy? All this is because of the aftermarket sliders?

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Your understanding is correct. The stick sliders and step are mounted to the body and don’t utilize the frame.

Thus there is no need to modify the Foutz skids.

Install is not hard, but I takes a bit of the effort working on the ground to get the bolt moved out of the link and the flag cut on the inside bolt on both sides.

Additionally it appears that contrary to the (wrong) instructions that the skid and gas tank need to be dropped to get the passenger skid on.

All this transcends easy, but it’s all doable just takes more time and effort than one might think going in. Ha ha

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Looks great!! I just got mine today and I hope to have them installed later today👊🏻🤩
So did you get the passenger side on yet? I’m really really really curious to hear a success story!

Turbo yzel

Oct 9, 2023
Gallery
DMV
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
Side note
Any pics of how them RCI rock sliders mount to frame?
I thought about welding some support box tubing on the factory ones to help them out

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Last edited:

Scottweisen

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2022
Gallery
Texas
Current Ride
2022 bronco raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 expedition timberline
couple tips…

Just checked the install instructions are still not updated. Use them as a general guideline only.

You should have 4 bolts with washers and two nut plates. These all go in the drivers side. The remaining bolt/nut/washer goes on the passenger which is also secured by the skid plate bolt. Yes, only two mounting points on passenger side. And no, there are no spacers involved or nut plates for passenger side. The instructions are mind boggling wrong!

Assuming you are doing this without a lift, you’ll need to get the rear wheel drooped to get the link bolt to move so you can cut the flag.

Once you get the flag cut and rotated it’s pretty apparent where the bolts and nut plates have to go and there are marking on the nut plates to orient it right side up.

The outside nut plate was easy, but I found locking needle nose vise grips a the tab of the inside nut plate made this much easier to keep that in place while threading bolts.

On the passenger side I used a T25 but taped onto a small 1/4” box end wrench to get the more difficult on the inside bolt cover. The other bolt is more accessible.

Sadly after getting the flag cut, covers removed and four skid plate bolts out I was unable to “slip” the skid onto the bracket and under the skid plate simultaneously.

Thus I only have one skid installed while I wait for Foutz to confirm that I have to drop the skid, tank and 20 gallons of gas to get the skid on. I hope I don’t have to do that but I’m not seeing how I get around it with the length of the skid

Good luck!
Thank you so much. I still haven’t had a chance to put mine in. I need to do a frame repair to the driver side that I smashed pretty hard before I can get mine on.

Attachments

• IMG_2234.mov
    12.2 MB

Turbo yzel

Oct 9, 2023
Gallery
DMV
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
I was able to install mine yesterday
I did have to drop the gas tank down a couple inches
Trim off the flag piece of the bolt as mentioned
But I really had a hard time getting them to line up
When the suspension was at full droop with the new 3 inch lift collars
It was contacting part of the skid plates, making it hard for the holes to line up

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1322.jpeg
    IMG_1322.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 17
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I was able to install mine yesterday
I did have to drop the gas tank down a couple inches
Trim off the flag piece of the bolt as mentioned
But I really had a hard time getting them to line up
When the suspension was at full droop with the new 3 inch lift collars
It was contacting part of the skid plates, making it hard for the holes to line up
Fantastic! Do you have any pics of how far you dropped the tank? Curious how far you had to drop it to get the Foutz skid slipped in.

what specifically did you have trouble lining up? I’m guessing you had trouble lining up the mounting holes on the passenger side due to the Foutz skid contacting the OEM gas tank skid. It looks wedged in pretty tight in one of the pics.

or… is it the lower arm contacting the back of the Foutz Skid in full droop? I assume you jacked up the tire/axle to make clearance in that case? It’s a little troubling if the rear arm contacts the skid in full droop, but it’s not like full droop is a high stress situation (hanging in low speed crawling or temporarily airborne).

thanks AGAIN for sharing your experience.

Turbo yzel

Oct 9, 2023
Gallery
DMV
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
Honestly, I did not have to drop the gas tank that much I didn’t even take all the bolts out
I just lowered it about two or 3 inches maybe 4 🤷‍♂️
Definitely not a full drop

Also, I had trouble lining up all the holes on both sides

Since my new purge colors were installed, and the struts were put back in
The Foutz skids were contacting the lower arms for the rear axle
As shown in this photo

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 22

Turbo yzel

Oct 9, 2023
Gallery
DMV
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
I was a big fan of using one of the gas tank bolts like they did on the passenger side
I wish that was possible on the driver side
I just kind of found some nuts and bolts and washers around my shop and got everything is lined up and tighten the best I could
I’m pretty happy with it

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Honestly, I did not have to drop the gas tank that much I didn’t even take all the bolts out
I just lowered it about two or 3 inches maybe 4 🤷‍♂️
Definitely not a full drop

Also, I had trouble lining up all the holes on both sides

Since my new purge colors were installed, and the struts were put back in
The Foutz skids were contacting the lower arms for the rear axle
As shown in this photo
Thanks. Very helpful. I probably only dropped my tank 2 inches. i had a full tank and working on the floor, I didn’t want to create a whole new headache just to get the skid in. But after I run out the gas (which doesn’t take long in the Raptor) I’ll give that a go or just cut the link bolt and reverse it.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I was a big fan of using one of the gas tank bolts like they did on the passenger side
I wish that was possible on the driver side
I just kind of found some nuts and bolts and washers around my shop and got everything is lined up and tighten the best I could
I’m pretty happy with it
Since I modified my skid to lay beside the slider bracket on the frame I was thinking of welding the two together on the drivers side to keep that “tongue” from ever being a problem. That said, just laying next to to the slider bracket reduces the small chance of that getting snagged somehow.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
man these sound like more of a pain in the ass to install then they should be

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Kind of, but in fairness I’m a lousy mechanic and working off the floor makes the whole thing a little more challenging. And once the instructions actually match the hardware it’ll be a whole lot more straightforward

Turbo yzel

Oct 9, 2023
Gallery
DMV
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
It’s really not that bad
If you’re decently mechanically inclined

The main bummer is just holding some of the nuts and bolts with needle nose where your hand can’t fit

I think mine were a little bit of a pain in the butt because I didn’t follow the directions step-by-step
I was in a rush
And I may have had too many adult beverages 🤣

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
I should have clarified, in general, it is poor design by Ford to require the gas tank to be dropped to access upper rear arms, these arms, etc. For those of us that have switched to monoball rear upper and lower arms, where you should be servicing the bushing yearly, that means having to drop the tank every single time.

Top Member Reactions