Geez....thanks for the heads-up Ford

B.C.Raptor

May 10, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Left my Bronco Raptor parked at the airport in the cold Canadian winter while my gf and I travelled through Vietnam and Thailand. As the weather got exceptionally cold back home, I thought it might be a good idea to remotely start my vehicle from time to time. I especially wanted to start my Raptor as I land from my return trip.
Unfortunately, I just learned (thanks to absolutely no advanced warning) that I can only use the 'Remote Start' feature twice without operating the vehicle. Thanks for the heads-up Ford, I would have preferred to have learned that prior to wasting my last start. Perhaps, note it on the Ford app when using remote start for the first time, not the last.

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
Left my Bronco Raptor parked at the airport in the cold Canadian winter while my gf and I travelled through Vietnam and Thailand. As the weather got exceptionally cold back home, I thought it might be a good idea to remotely start my vehicle from time to time. I especially wanted to start my Raptor as I land from my return trip.
Unfortunately, I just learned (thanks to absolutely no advanced warning) that I can only use the 'Remote Start' feature twice without operating the vehicle. Thanks for the heads-up Ford, I would have preferred to have learned that prior to wasting my last start. Perhaps, note it on the Ford app when using remote start for the first time, not the last.
I really appreciate you letting us all on the forum know this. Only 2 "Remote Starts' allowed until you must operate the vehicle.
I'm so sorry...... you went on an amazing vacation with your girlfriend 👙 to find this out. 🤣🤣 Be safe and enjoy your trip!

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I'm curious to why you would remote start any vehicle when you would Not be driving shortly after?
My guess is you were just trying to do the best for your new Bronco Raptor, and I'm guessing many new owners would have agreed with you.

However, my immediate thought as I was reading into your post, is that you returned to a weak battery incapable of starting your Bronco Raptor. I think Ford did you a really big favor here by preserving your battery. It takes 100-300 amps to start a vehicle but 10 minutes of idling will only recharge the battery a few amps. In the extreme cold possibly even greater number of amps were drawn but the alternate wouldn't charge any quicker. I think your 2 start limit was possibly due to a battery voltage that was too low and likely not to survive in those conditions. I also remember in the 90's, on GM vehicles, the remote start on the key fobs was only good for a couple remote starts, I always assumed to preserve the battery.
I searched in the owners manual and your correct there isn't any documented limit to number of remote starts, but I did find the below limitations:
1677948696231.png

Also, what I've experience with my Bronco Raptor after sitting in the garage a few days without starting is that I'll get a message in FordPass app that some of the electical sensors/systems are shutting down to preserve the battery even though I have a Battery Tender connected. If you were remote starting then these systems were staying active thereby further reducing battery voltage.

Odonnks

Feb 3, 2023
Gallery
PA
Current Ride
2017 Ford F350
Current Ride #2
2023 Bronco Raptor coming soon
Two remote starts without vehicle movement is not uncommon. Other manufacturers do the same.

I‘d be willing to bet this can be disabled with Forscan.

Top Member Reactions