King of Hammers...where Burning man meets Mad Max

It was awesome. Great trail rides, racing and crazy night activities. Also, all kinds of vendors and events. I am pretty sure I will be back next year. Getting my windshield fixed tomorrow. Got a stone hit and crack. All good. A guy went speeding by me on the flats and I naturally hit it too and next thing you know........pow...haha. Lots of great trials fast and dusty or slow and rocky.

The beast
IMG_2868 j.jpg

IMG_2982j.jpg

Some friendly racers. They love the Raptor
IMG_2948j.jpg

Night time at Chocolate Thunder. Everyone trying to get up the mountain. Fireworks, tunes and craziness.
IMG_2973j.jpg

The view from Chocolate Thunder. This is not a town. This is everyone convening in the desert for KOH. There is usually nothing there.
IMG_2959j.jpg

IMG_2974j.jpg

This is a place called the Back Door. The night before it was packed with Big Willy blasting tunes and pyro and everyone climbing here. This night it was quiet and everyone was at Chocolate Thunder. Five great days. I think I am back next year!!!!! Lots of trails everywhere.
IMG_2964j.jpg
IMG_2962j.jpg

Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
It was awesome. Great trail rides, racing and crazy night activities. Also, all kinds of vendors and events. I am pretty sure I will be back next year. Getting my windshield fixed tomorrow. Got a stone hit and crack. All good. A guy went speeding by me on the flats and I naturally hit it too and next thing you know........pow...haha. Lots of great trial fast and dusty or slow and rocky.

The beastView attachment 11654

View attachment 11655

Some friendly racers. They love the Raptor
View attachment 11656

Night time at Chocolate Thunder. Everyone trying to get up the hill. Fireworks, tunes and craziness.
View attachment 11657

The view from Chocolate Thunder. This is not a town. This is everyone convening in the desert for KOH. There is usually nothing there.
View attachment 11658
View attachment 11659

This is a place called the Back Door. The night before it was packed with Big Willy blasting tunes and pyro and everyone climbing here. This night it was quiet and everyone was at Chocolate Thunder. Five great days. I think I am back next year!!!!! Lots of trails everywhere.
View attachment 11660View attachment 11661
Wow, looks like an awesome time, glad to you enjoyed it. Cool pics, your RTR 9" wide wheels make the 37's look surprisingly larger than our's on the OEM 37" tires, that extra 1/2 inch in wheel width really makes a visual difference.
Now... that guy standing on your hood makes your BRaptor look multitudes larger than my BRaptor! Yep... well said, it's a Beast, visually and capabilty! :giggle:

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Wow, looks like an awesome time, glad to you enjoyed it. Cool pics, your RTR 9" wide wheels make the 37's look surprisingly larger than our's on the OEM 37" tires, that extra 1/2 inch in wheel width really makes a visual difference.
Now... that guy standing on your hood makes your BRaptor look multitudes larger than my BRaptor! Yep... well said, it's a Beast, visually and capabilty! :giggle:
Yeah thanks, I like that pic there's just one thing. The guy on the hood...haha. Vaughn Gittin Jr. was saying he hasn't broke anything on his yet (Bronco Raptor). He likes the vehicle and as you say visually and capability wise it is a beast. I banged it around a lot and didn't seem too concerned. Glad I had a lot of protection underneath. This forum has helped a lot with that. I heard a few bangs under there but nothing major. I didn't look like I hit anything too hard. Nice to know, if need be, there is extra protection where you need it.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I raced KOH back in 2013 and have lots of great memories from it! I would love to go back as a spectator to be able to watch all the different classes run the course.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
I raced KOH back in 2013 and have lots of great memories from it! I would love to go back as a spectator to be able to watch all the different classes run the course.
Wow. That is real interesting. Very cool. I am sure It has changed from 2013. What were you racing? It would be nice to go back. It certainly has evolved into a huge event all around the racing.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Wow. That is real interesting. Very cool. I am sure It has changed from 2013. What were you racing? It would be nice to go back. It certainly has evolved into a huge event all around the racing.
I raced a RZR XP 900. Back in those days, UTVs were hardly finishing the race. I think that year only one machine made it through. I broke both tie rods somewhere around Claw Hammer and my day was done.

26558713-DB4B-43F0-A6AB-BCEC6830EEEE_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
I raced a RZR XP 900. Back in those days, UTVs were hardly finishing the race. I think that year only one machine made it through. I broke both tie rods somewhere around Claw Hammer and my day was done.

View attachment 11718
Very cool. A great experience!

OFP

Apr 7, 2023
Gallery
PNW, WA
Military
USMC
Current Ride
23' BRap
Current Ride #2
21' M2c
I really want to build a 4400 class truck and compete. Love this stuff but it’s crazy costly - teams are essentially (unlimited) funding an R&D firm for even every man.

That said I’m constantly trying to convince my wife I need to quit my day job and build a truck.

Thank you for sharing!

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I really want to build a 4400 class truck and compete. Love this stuff but it’s crazy costly - teams are essentially (unlimited) funding an R&D firm for even every man.

That said I’m constantly trying to convince my wife I need to quit my day job and build a truck.

Thank you for sharing!
It is costly and extremely brutal on every part of the build. We took at least two of everything and still broke in an area where we couldn't winch out enough to get to the next pit to repair it. There's a lot of logistics that go into it. Plus, you need a good team, probably at least six guys to help out in the different pit areas. With all that said, it's still a hell of a lot of fun!

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Hey all, we love KOH. We’ve gone the last two years as my husband races a 4800 car in the emc class. It’s a great time for sure!
That's awesome! Do you have a pic of his 4800 rig you can share with us?

shelbyvaladez

Feb 22, 2024
Gallery
California and Arizona
Current Ride
23 Bronco Raptor
That's awesome! Do you have a pic of his 4800 rig you can share with us?
Sure do! And yes everyone is right with it being expensive. This car was supposed to be a 5 seat sxs that turned in to this. We love it though, and our daughter just raced her first race too at KOH in the 170 class

Attachments

• dsc_2870.jpeg
    dsc_2870.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DFLY2935.jpeg
    DFLY2935.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC3463.jpeg
    _DSC3463.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Sure do! And yes everyone is right with it being expensive. This car was supposed to be a 5 seat sxs that turned in to this. We love it though, and our daughter just raced her first race too at KOH in the 170 class
Well it turned out great. Great pics. Very cool for you daughter as well!

Top Member Reactions