Leather or vinyl

DeRaptor

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2022
Gallery
Pensacola, FL
I'm looking for some insight on leather or marine grade vinyl. I live in a Florida beach town and planing on having the doors and top off most of the time. I originally order my raptor with vinyl but I hear the leather upgrad is a much better finish. Now that these things are turning into lux vehicles I'm starting to rethink the option. Has anyone had experience with both?

Last edited:

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
Do you want rear seat cup holders or not? Yes with Leather upgrade no with MGV.

Watch Loren Healy, Bronco Raptor on YouTube with Leather interior.

Then watch Vaughn Gittin Jr., Bronco Raptor with MGV.

Losy

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2022
Gallery
Long Beach, CA
Leather for me. Unless you plan to really take a hose to your interior and floor and want the washout floors. I tend to detail my vehicles don't need a hose to remove dirt and dust from off roading. Might be different for others in more server climates.
I had leather in my Gen 1 F150 Raptor and it has held up great over 9 years.
Look closely at the alcatera like material in the Braptor seats that appear like ovals on the butt area and back. The ovals are also on my Gen 1 Raptor, just a different material. On MGV, the ovals just look like a print and not recessed like on the leather seats.

SevoSandman

Founding Member
Oct 12, 2022
Gallery
NorCal
Current Ride
2022 Ox White BRaptor
Current Ride #2
In the stable... GR86 10th Anniversary Ed, 4Runner TSE, Cayenne GTS, Cayman S, 235i, Lotus Elise
From what I’ve heard the MGV seats retain their heat and cause a fair amount of “back sweat”…. Think ski boat seats on a hot day with no ability to jump in the water…. BUT if you plan to get in your BRaptor often with wet/moist clothing or dirty, maybe the MGV with the washout floors is the better option. That being said, I do have the leather…the are great looking, comfortable and I am completely happy with it! 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

onthelookout

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
I had MGV in my Badlands, and now have the leather / suede seats in the Braptor (also had leather / alcantara in my last vehicle, albeit it was by no means an offroad vehicle). I did not find the MGV hot as others have noted, but could understand that position as they don't fully breathe. The benefit is MGV does come with the washout floor, as opposed to the rubber mats with carpet for the leather. The leather / suede seats look much improved to the MGV and of higher quality (in my opinion), but will come down to how you care for them and what you put them through. MGV will be a lot easier to care for / clean, and you'll just need to be cognizant of what's on you getting into with the carpet / leather / suede (the latter being my experience in my prior car, but the alcantara / suede seats gave great feel and the additional resistance in the fabric kept you in the right seating position). Disclaimer, haven't owned any Raptor previously, so these are my initial impressions and subject to change with longer ownership.

OP
D

DeRaptor

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2022
Gallery
Pensacola, FL
From what I’ve heard the MGV seats retain their heat and cause a fair amount of “back sweat”…. Think ski boat seats on a hot day with no ability to jump in the water…. BUT if you plan to get in your BRaptor often with wet/moist clothing or dirty, maybe the MGV with the washout floors is the better option. I have the leather and completely happy with it!
What kind of flooring does the leather come with?
I had MGV in my Badlands, and now have the leather / suede seats in the Braptor (also had leather / alcantara in my last vehicle, albeit it was by no means an offroad vehicle). I did not find the MGV hot as others have noted, but could understand that position as they don't fully breathe. The benefit is MGV does come with the washout floor, as opposed to the rubber mats with carpet for the leather. The leather / suede seats look much improved to the MGV and of higher quality (in my opinion), but will come down to how you care for them and what you put them through. MGV will be a lot easier to care for / clean, and you'll just need to be cognizant of what's on you getting into with the carpet / leather / suede (the latter being my experience in my prior car, but the alcantara / suede seats gave great feel and the additional resistance in the fabric kept you in the right seating position). Disclaimer, haven't owned any Raptor previously, so these are my initial impressions and subject to change with longer ownership.
Great information, follow-up questions.

Can the carpet be removed and what is the cover on the dash made out of. I can always cover the seat with a cover in case I get caught of one of our mid afternoon rain showers but the dash and carpet are another story.

onthelookout

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor

Can the carpet be removed and what is the cover on the dash made out of. I can always cover the seat with a cover in case I get caught of one of our mid afternoon rain showers but the dash and carpet are another story.
Removal of the carpet is beyond my knowledge - no idea what may be under it or how that compares to the wash-out floors in the MGV. I was surprised carpet was mandatory with the leather seats, particularly as the rubberized floor mats cover most of the entire footwell in the front, and the rear seat area (the trunk space was a rubberized cover similar to my Badlands, or at least I didn't look under that). As to the dash, I'll have to get back to you on that - mine is currently getting PPF'd so can't run out to check.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor

you can always remove the carpet, however it will not reveal the wash out floors, instead you will have sound deadener. The dash with leather interior is a padded vinyl however the seam isn't water proof. Deciding factor for the leather interior for me was power seats with power lumbar support, with MGV seats are manual operated. Lack of electronics under the seats is part of the MGV wash out feature.

OP
D

DeRaptor

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2022
Gallery
Pensacola, FL
you can always remove the carpet, however it will not reveal the wash out floors, instead you will have sound deadener. The dash with leather interior is a padded vinyl however the seam isn't water proof. Deciding factor for the leather interior for me was power seats with power lumbar support, with MGV seats are manual operated. Lack of electronics under the seats is part of the MGV wash out feature.
Thank you all, that helped tremendously!

Hells Canyon

Founding Member
Feb 23, 2022
Hells Canyon
This reply might be a little late, but I’m a big fan of the MGV seats. I have them in my badlands, and my Raptor (11/28 build date) will be showing up with them as well. I alternate between blowing the interior with an air hose to actually washing it off with lots of warm water. I hunt, hike, fish and spend lots of time on rough dusty backroads with my Bronco, so being able to clean it out like that is invaluable.

widnere12

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
I feel like it mostly comes down to how you'll use the bronco

MGV is designed to be washable and durable, while looking pretty good. Perfect for if you're going mudding and getting your Bronco dirty inside and out. I'd also consider MGV if I plan on leave the tops off rain or shine without the need to worry about the interior getting wet.

Leather places more of an emphasis on looks with natural durability, but loses some of the washable durability. If you live in a place like Florida and plan to leave your tops off in all weather, leather might not be the best bet.

The last things to consider...Do you want a carpet floor, or a rubber floor. Leather comes with carpet, spray out vinyl comes with vinyl.

CVSJR

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2022
Gallery
Freehold NJ
Being a vinyl sheet manufacturer I choose leather almost always. Some pretty harsh anti fungicide chemicals in “marine grade” formulations. Also, be aware that chemicals in many suntan lotions (like steric acid) will break down vinyl.

braptor0074

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2022
Gallery
Pennsylvania
I'm looking for some insight on leather or marine grade vinyl. I live in a Florida beach town and planing on having the doors and top off most of the time. I originally order my raptor with vinyl but I hear the leather upgrad is a much better finish. Now that these things are turning into lux vehicles I'm starting to rethink the option. Has anyone had experience with both?
I have the mgv and they are sharp. I haven’t notice them being hotter than leather in other vehicles however the center rear seat cup holder armrest is absent and also with leather and lux the dash doesn’t have the stitching. Also my dealer did not select the sound deadening headliner which I understood comes automatically with the leather and luxury package without having to individually add it

OP
D

DeRaptor

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2022
Gallery
Pensacola, FL
I have the mgv and they are sharp. I haven’t notice them being hotter than leather in other vehicles however the center rear seat cup holder armrest is absent and also with leather and lux the dash doesn’t have the stitching. Also my dealer did not select the sound deadening headliner which I understood comes automatically with the leather and luxury package without having to individually add it
Thank you

Powerfiend

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2022
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
Dodge Ram
I have the MGV with sound deadener and love it. Have not experienced any additional heat that others talk about, just overall happy with the durability and comfort so far. I plan to use the truck and maybe leave the tops off and didnt want the hassle of worrying about the leather getting wet, damp, moist, etc.

braptor0074

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2022
Gallery
Pennsylvania
I have the MGV with sound deadener and love it. Have not experienced any additional heat that others talk about, just overall happy with the durability and comfort so far. I plan to use the truck and maybe leave the tops off and didnt want the hassle of worrying about the leather getting wet, damp, moist, etc.
I have MGV w/ LUX and did not get sound deadening headliner, even though it was on my order and I suspect that the dealer did not individually select it, does anyone know if this can be added post production and if Ford would correct the error without cost since it was supposed to be a free option?

Top Member Reactions