Mesh Top Alternatives

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Has anyone actually installed a mesh top on their Braptor yet? With Spring weather just around the corner I'm planning to get that full hard top off for extended periods. But that means that I'm going to want to have a mesh top as it gets pretty toasty here in Dallas.

Has anyone found a decent solution that fits the Braptor? The options I've seen are JTops, Bestop, Ford Accessory version (is this the same as Bestop?) and a few cheaper bungee versions. The limiting factor has been the crossbar which interferes with some of these.

Here's my thoughts on each solution...wondering if anyone has found a decent product that doesn't require being removed when you want to put the hard-top back on.

JTops: I had one on my JLU and loved it...I think it's the most thorough design in terms of coverage and tightness. Rumor is that they are working on a version to support the Braptor to be released soon, but I haven't' been able to get any updates for a while on that one.

Bestop: Looks like a decent design but the stability bar in the design apparently interferes with the Braptor cross-brace. The Bestop website states in the Q&A that the top does not fit the Braptor.

Ford Accessories: This looks like a twin of the Bestop and I'm wondering if it's the same product. Ford Accessories states it's compatible with the Braptor. For some reason the pictures look like it doesn't hold the mesh very tight, but I can't find any videos that show it in use.

Gearshade: looks promising other than it requires you to drill into the twist-locks. I'm sorry, but no interest in drilling holes into those pieces and risk damage if not replacement. As constrained as the hardtop is, I'm concerned about getting replacement parts for it.

Rough County: Quick and dirty solution, but I can't stand that damn 'ROUGH COUNTY' logo printed across the back of it. If you want me to advertise your product for you, then feel free to pay me to use it.

Spiderwebshade/Amazon/Cheapo Options: most don't hold down the front section which allows more turbulent air to get underneath and cause flapping. They also don't have accommodations for the hard top twist-locks and must be removed everytime you put the hardtop back on.

OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
It appears the JTops V2 is expected in the next 30-60 days…assuming that will be yet another investment/project as I’ll be ordering as soon as I can. The summer sun in DFW isn’t all that friendly and love having some sort of barrier to manage the wind when I’m on the highway.

Hoping to take top completely off for the first time this weekend and once Apr/May comes around I plan to have the top off as much as possible.

Top Member Reactions