OBD II Fault Code p061b / Limp Mode

jgtuna

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Houston, TX
Anyone had this code come up? I was on trail in Colorado, started to hear some noise from front end, felt vibration and then lost most accelerator response and partial steering response (I later learned this was likely "limp mode" but didn't know at the time - freaked me out!). I eventually stopped and shut it down. I had check engine light, etc. When I restarted, all cleared and it ran normally (all the way back to Texas for that matter). 2 weeks later, saw a Lite Brite video about a similar issue that they had...and I had already had to take the machine to Ford for some aftermarket parts installations and asked them to read codes and they have told me p061b has come up (Internal Control Module Torque Calc Performance). Further online research says this could end up being serious. They are now going to start diagnosing.

Thoughts?

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
"Anyone had this code come up? I was on trail in Colorado, started to hear some noise from front end, felt vibration and then lost most accelerator response and partial steering response"

Was this the Chinaman trail outside Buena Vista?

P061B
- let us know what your tech says.

Last edited:
OP
jgtuna

jgtuna

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Houston, TX
"Anyone had this code come up? I was on trail in Colorado, started to hear some noise from front end, felt vibration and then lost most accelerator response and partial steering response"

Was this the Chinaman trail outside Buena Vista?

P061B
- let us know what your tech says.
😀 no - Red and White near Vail…

timhutch

May 5, 2023
Gallery
Southern California
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
I have a 2023 BRaptor in SoCal with about 4k miles. I have had the truck go into limp mode, with the amber wrench light on, two or three times now. Always when I am offroad on a steep trail (either uphill or downhill) and the problem always clears after shutting of the motor and restarting. I'm planning to do my first service call at 5k miles and will be asking the dealer about this then. I've seen the LiteBrite video as well and I left a comment mentioning that I've had a similar problem. I spent a long day on very difficult trails about two weeks ago and did not get the problem at all. Be nice if it was working itself out! This has been my only issue with the truck so far and I've been very happy with it otherwise.

OP
jgtuna

jgtuna

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Houston, TX
Still waiting for diagnosis...will keep you posted. Figured there would be others on here experiencing the same issues based on what I read in the Lite Brite video comments...

Magic

Aug 13, 2022
Gallery
Fredericksburg, Texas
Current Ride
2012 Ford F150
Current Ride #2
2021 MME GT-PE
My BRaptor went into limp mode (several times on the trail) while attending Bronco Safari Moab in May. This happened several times all while going on a steep downhill trail. I was in off-road mode, 4-low, manual shift and usually shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. The orange wrench light came on with 2 warning messages (Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power and Pre-collision assist not available). Went into limp mode about 2/3rd of the way down a steep section. Got to the bottom/flat area and turned the Bronco off. Sat for a little bit and then started it back up and everything was back to normal. This happened again that day and under the same conditions. At the lunch stop another Bronco driver had an OBDII reader and we tried to look at any codes, but nothing was showing up.
It happened two more times later in the week under the same trail condition/driving modes. Each time after going into limp mode if you turned it off and then back on everything was OK.

Ran an on trail experiment to see if it would happen in other drive modes and found that if the transmission was taken out of manual mode and placed in automatic it would not go into limp mode going downhill, but if you were using the manual shift and going from 2nd to 1st to assist in braking that would cause the limp mode issue.

Took it to my local Ford dealer and they couldn't find any codes related to a powertrain malfunction. My Ford Pass account did post a message about the powertrain malfunction so the Raptor did know something happened and sent info back to the mothership. They did ask me about the fuel level as there appeared to be something being reported about a low fuel rail pressure. I always started off with a full tank of gas each morning so can't see that being the problem.

I've not had any problems driving dirt roads and highway miles so I'll be interested in what others find out if they are having this problem.

timhutch

May 5, 2023
Gallery
Southern California
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
I've got my first dealer service coming up in 1000 miles and I'm going to have them look at this. I'll report back here what they have to say. I did a little research online regarding this error and what it's reporting is a mismatch between commanded torque and sensed torque. Basically it's looking at the position of the throttle pedal sensor to determine commanded torque and looking at the mass airflow sensor to determine if the engine responded appropriately. I'm wondering if the abrupt jerking motion that sometimes accompanies manual gear changes between 1st and 2nd is causing your foot to move very rapidly on the throttle. Those short quick throttle changes would be too quick for the engine to respond and you get a mis-compare between the throttle position and the MAS. I did some hard wheeling the other day and deliberately tried to minimize throttle pedal movement during shifts. I didn't get a single error the entire trip. Could be coincidence, too soon to tell. Either way, so far, it's always corrected itself with an off/on reset. Still love the truck!

Top Member Reactions