Probably too early to discuss access to the PCM and or an Engine Swap 7-10k

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
That would be sweet but that's a lot of coin to make it work and play nice with all the other electronics. I would have happily paid another 4k if it had been offered from ford.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
The 3.5 would also require a Trans swap to 10R80, then there is packaging issues.

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
I would want to wait to see what is lacking from the build from Ford Performance and then make the call. It might just need a tune and not a whole engine

Cupholders

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2022
Gallery
Mass
Military
Army & Air National Guard
Current Ride
Jeep Rubicon
I wonder if the Mustang guys talk about swapping in Hoss suspensions and automatic sway bar disconnects, lol

OP
D

djc007x

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Washington, DC
I wonder if the Mustang guys talk about swapping in Hoss suspensions and automatic sway bar disconnects, lol
I would want to wait to see what is lacking from the build from Ford Performance and then make the call. It might just need a tune and not a whole engine
I did speak to Palm Beach Dyno the other day, they said the ST Engine can produce a ton more of power.. "If they can access" the PCM for the Raptor

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
The tune cost depends. I live in North Dallas and took my 2014 F150 with the 3.5L to HPP which is a pretty well known shop around here. They mostly work in the V8 and car world, but I had them do a custom tune on the truck and dyno it. It was around $1,000. They were able to get some gains on HP and torque for sure, but there are others out there who specialize in these ecoboost motors. I called up 5 star tuning who specializes in Ford and they have multiple tunes they have already done and basically talk with you about mods you have done and what you want to accomplish. I already had the programmer and they just emailed the tune based on what I had done to the truck. I have an AFE stage 2 intake, AFE throttle body spacer, exhaust, blow off valves, and AFE intercooler added. The tune they sent me was nasty and night and day different from anything I had programmed in before. This was years ago, but I think it was only around $250 for that tune. You need to buy the programmer to upload them and that was around another $3-400. IMHO 5 star is the way to go. They already have some for the explorer 3.0L so it is just a matter of time before they get ahold of the Braptor and do their thing.

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
The tune cost depends. I live in North Dallas and took my 2014 F150 with the 3.5L to HPP which is a pretty well known shop around here. They mostly work in the V8 and car world, but I had them do a custom tune on the truck and dyno it. It was around $1,000. They were able to get some gains on HP and torque for sure, but there are others out there who specialize in these ecoboost motors. I called up 5 star tuning who specializes in Ford and they have multiple tunes they have already done and basically talk with you about mods you have done and what you want to accomplish. I already had the programmer and they just emailed the tune based on what I had done to the truck. I have an AFE stage 2 intake, AFE throttle body spacer, exhaust, blow off valves, and AFE intercooler added. The tune they sent me was nasty and night and day different from anything I had programmed in before. This was years ago, but I think it was only around $250 for that tune. You need to buy the programmer to upload them and that was around another $3-400. IMHO 5 star is the way to go. They already have some for the explorer 3.0L so it is just a matter of time before they get ahold of the Braptor and do their thing.
thx

CVSJR

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2022
Gallery
Freehold NJ
My thoughts..

How superior would the Bronco Raptor be with the 3.5 Ecoboost

The Bronco Raptor is too new to just speculate on power requirements, I'm going to drive it for a while and see how it runs. Doubtful I'll ever beat the gunk out of it on a trail ride so it may be fine as it is for me. I am positive there will be tunes to reach close to 500 hp (already done on 3.0L ST's) but you would have to drop some cash on the trans first, or after it burns.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
The Bronco Raptor is too new to just speculate on power requirements, I'm going to drive it for a while and see how it runs. Doubtful I'll ever beat the gunk out of it on a trail ride so it may be fine as it is for me. I am positive there will be tunes to reach close to 500 hp (already done on 3.0L ST's) but you would have to drop some cash on the trans first, or after it burns.
At least thru the warranty period, right?

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I did quite a few engine mods to my f150 3.5L, but I don't think I will be messing with any tunes on this one. My wife also has a Lincoln Aviator with the 3.0L that the Braptor will have. It can scoot for what it is and I am very impressed with it. I don't think I will be doing much more than a cold air intake on this one. I just think the engine sounds better with one and the filter can be cleaned and re-used. I don't think having too little power will be something to worry about on the Braptor. More power to you though if you want to juice it up and give those 392 wranglers hell. Throw down on making it breath better, add a water methanol set-up, keep it cool, tune it up, and light up all 4's.

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
I did quite a few engine mods to my f150 3.5L, but I don't think I will be messing with any tunes on this one. My wife also has a Lincoln Aviator with the 3.0L that the Braptor will have. It can scoot for what it is and I am very impressed with it. I don't think I will be doing much more than a cold air intake on this one. I just think the engine sounds better with one and the filter can be cleaned and re-used. I don't think having too little power will be something to worry about on the Braptor. More power to you though if you want to juice it up and give those 392 wranglers hell. Throw down on making it breath better, add a water methanol set-up, keep it cool, tune it up, and light up all 4's.
I thought we already have a version of cold air intake on these. That was some of the mods they did when they ported these to the raptor

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I thought we already have a version of cold air intake on these. That was some of the mods they did when they ported these to the raptor
I have never owned a Raptor or Ford Performance vehicle so I am not sure if that is part of the standard offering. That would be great if they already have something like that on there. Then it would be just an easy drop in K&N and call it a day for me.

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
I have never owned a Raptor or Ford Performance vehicle so I am not sure if that is part of the standard offering. That would be great if they already have something like that on there. Then it would be just an easy drop in K&N and call it a day for me.
There was a video of a woman engineer discussing the changes and I think she mentioned that there was a new air mgmt system for the raptor. The regular broncos can have a k&n filter drop in

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
There was a video of a woman engineer discussing the changes and I think she mentioned that there was a new air mgmt system for the raptor. The regular broncos can have a k&n filter drop in
Turbo chargers were completely redesigned for this iteration of the 3.0L Eco, and include anti-lag in the Baja Mode.

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
If offered OEM it would have been cool.
It's pretty clear that the Braptor would already beat the 392 in an offroad/desert race.
Absolutely would blow awy the 392 in a desert race. No amount of hp would be able to close that gap. The Wrangle just can't compete in that particular off road high speed environment with front solid axle etc. And if I wanted a Jeep (a very desirable and capable vehicle to be sure) I'd get the non 392 Rubicon.

There are many reasons I'm getting the BRaptor but one small reason that's a big deal to me is this: Most vehicles I've owned absolutely have to slow way, way down on just simple washboard roads. The 2019 Silverado I have is part of the payload wars so it's got stiff springs in the rear and the back is also lightened up with aluminum. Over the washboards at relatively low speeds the back end wants to do nothing but fishtail. I think I'll be able to glide along nicely in the raptor.

Top Member Reactions