Problem in Sport Mode

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
I took note of the comments of a few that asserted that the Sport mode rev-matching is unduly stressful over time on the drive train. It seems odd to me that a factory-designed/produced driving mode would be harmful as opposed to say using the paddle shifters but not using them properly to the detriment of the vehicle. Thoughts?

Feb 7, 2023
Gallery
wi
Current Ride
22 Braptor
Current Ride #2
12' Raptor
There was a similar thread on 6G some time ago with similar perspectives. In the end it seems to come down to the individual ownership histories of those that have either owned high-end sports cars with Auto/Dual-Clutch transmissions (esp Porsche) or learned heel-toe in manuals and those that didn’t have such experiences.

In the end there are 2 basic camps on this one: those who feel the rev-matching is too aggressive and those that really like it.

I’m in that 2nd group that loves it. I’ve owned a number of 911s (PDK & Manual) and absolutely loved the rev-matching function, particularly when I made it to a track day. But that’s the key, rev-matching can be aggressive enough that it’s too much for daily driving. If you’re out with the purpose of a spirited drive then it adds to the experience and performance. If you’re on your way home from work then maybe not as much. To me the BRaptor Sport Mode compares more to the Porsche Sport+ than normal Sport which is a mode that I rarely used in my 911s. M/AMG cars have some level of rev-matching but they never felt as aggressive as what you feel in Porsche Sport+.

It would be nice if Ford allowed additional mode settings such as transmission/shift beyond the Steering, Exhaust and Suspension for the R Button setup but I doubt we’ll see that. Then you could have a Sport Mode setup that better suits your preferences.

I’m headed out right now for a drive that will be in some back roads and you can bet it’ll be in Sport Mode and downshifting at every corner.

They should have rev matching in baja mode not in sport mode.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I took note of the comments of a few that asserted that the Sport mode rev-matching is unduly stressful over time on the drive train. It seems odd to me that a factory-designed/produced driving mode would be harmful as opposed to say using the paddle shifters but not using them properly to the detriment of the vehicle. Thoughts?
Your correct, the rev-matching is there to reduce stress on the drive train during downshifts. Note the auto rev-matching occurs during any downshifts including manual mode when using the paddles. All to prevent driveline stress. In road racing it's referred to as heal & toe downshifting, when the pro driver misses the rev match during downshifting it can result in transmission failure or other driveline breakage before the end of the race.

Top Member Reactions