Problem in Sport Mode

Railmonkey

Nov 7, 2023
Maryland
Current Ride
2023 Raptor Bronco
Current Ride #2
1999 Prowler
when in sport mode only, when I have my foot on the brake, the car keeps surging about 500rpm - intermittant but conrinues until I stop or accelerate. I can see the power distribution graphic and it shows it engaging the two rear wheels while surging occurs. Anyone else have this problem?

Also my Raptor doesn;t have the wireless phone charger - isn;t it supposed to be included on raptors?

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
wireless charging Included with “Lux“trim package. It is not included in the standard “High“ package.

but I believe 2024 Raptors will have “Lux” standard along with a commensurately higher standard MSRPm

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
when in sport mode only, when I have my foot on the brake, the car keeps surging about 500rpm - intermittant but conrinues until I stop or accelerate. I can see the power distribution graphic and it shows it engaging the two rear wheels while surging occurs. Anyone else have this problem?

Also my Raptor doesn;t have the wireless phone charger - isn;t it supposed to be included on raptors?
Welcome to BroncoRaptor.com! 🍻
What you’re experiencing in sport mode is auto rev-matching. You will hear the engine/exhaust blurping as the engine matches the needed revs to smoothly downshift. This is a very good thing as it reduces transmission wear during aggressive driving while braking.
The wireless charger is worthless, will just heat it up the phone.

412Brap

Jul 13, 2023
Gallery
PNW via #412
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Aston Martin DBX707
What you’re experiencing in sport mode is auto rev-matching. You will hear the engine/exhaust blurping as the engine matches the needed revs to smoothly downshift. This is a very good thing as it reduces transmission wear during aggressive driving while braking.
+1000000 on the wireless charger being completely useless. I'm trying to find out how to disable mine so I can just use it as a storage cubby

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
+1000000 on the wireless charger being completely useless. I'm trying to find out how to disable mine so I can just use it as a storage cubby
When you figure it out, please let us know.

OP
R

Railmonkey

Nov 7, 2023
Maryland
Current Ride
2023 Raptor Bronco
Current Ride #2
1999 Prowler
Thanks for the input - I checked for a video of this in action to see if it's what I am experiencing but it seems to only apply to manual gear shifts? Does it do this on the auto transmission also? I'd like to see a video or even upload one to get some more feedback. It doesn't feel right to me as it causes the vehicle to lurch when braking.

Last edited:
OP
R

Railmonkey

Nov 7, 2023
Maryland
Current Ride
2023 Raptor Bronco
Current Ride #2
1999 Prowler
Here's a short video of the issue

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
That’s the rev matching down shift. I think what you’re experiencing is what many on the forums are complaining about which is the down shift mapping is too aggressive.

it seems like the mapping would be more appropriate to a sports car (my AMG GTS wasn’t this aggressive in Sport + mode unless I really got on the brakes at speed) than a 3 ton lumbering mass that is the Bronco Raptor.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Here's a short video of the issue

Yes, that is the auto Rev matching. Appears to be operating as designed. With manual transmissions in racing it's referred to "heel and toe" downshifting were the professional driver has both feet on the 3 pedals to rev match the downshifts during aggressive braking.
I myself love this auto rev-matching. It will also auto rev-match in any driving mode when manually downshifting with the paddles. :love:

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Yes, that is the auto Rev matching. Appears to be operating as designed. With manual transmissions in racing it's referred to "heel and toe" downshifting were the professional driver has both feet on the 3 pedals to rev match the downshifts during aggressive braking.
I myself love this auto rev-matching. It will also auto rev-match in any driving mode when manually downshifting with the paddles. :love:
I like it as well. I had a manual 750 HP Mustang and you could turn off the Rev matching but I left it on as it seemed to work well and made life easier.

Funny I thought the Rev matching was aggressive on the Raptor as well (it never bothered me) as @JohnGalt mentioned but it does it's job so I just hit it and let it do its thing.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
That’s the rev matching down shift. I think what you’re experiencing is what many on the forums are complaining about which is the down shift mapping is too aggressive.

it seems like the mapping would be more appropriate to a sports car (my AMG GTS wasn’t this aggressive in Sport + mode unless I really got on the brakes at speed) than a 3 ton lumbering mass that is the Bronco Raptor.
Agreed, as the vehicle weight, rotating mass (tire/wheel/hub), and traction increases the more torque that is placed on the transmission during downshifts, to mitigate this increase in torque (torque management) the auto rev-matching needs to be more aggressive. The transmission is also more agressive on the downshifts thereby keeping the engine RPM's higher is also contributed by increased vehicle weight.

For those that the sport mode auto rev matching is bothersome, I'm thinking they need to select "Normal" driving mode. After all, this is a "Ford Performance" product.

I will be installing the Whipple tune in the next day, reviewers have mentioned auto rev matching and shifting logic is changed. I'm about to find out, I'm just hoping it's even more aggressive.

Last edited:

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
As the vehicle weight, rotating mass (tire/wheel/hub), and traction increases the more torque that is placed on the transmission during downshifts, to mitigate this increase in torque (torque management) the auto rev-matching needs to be more aggressive. The transmission is also more agressive on the downshifts thereby keeping the engine RPM's higher is also contributed by increased vehicle weight.

For those that the sport mode auto rev matching is bothersome, I'm thinking they need to select "Normal" driving mode. After all, this is a "Ford Performance" product.

I will be installing the Whipple tune in the next day, reviewers have mentioned auto rev matching and shifting logic is changed. I'm about to find out, I'm just hoping it's even more aggressive.
Looking forward to hearing about the tune. Thanks for the info.

OP
R

Railmonkey

Nov 7, 2023
Maryland
Current Ride
2023 Raptor Bronco
Current Ride #2
1999 Prowler
Agreed, as the vehicle weight, rotating mass (tire/wheel/hub), and traction increases the more torque that is placed on the transmission during downshifts, to mitigate this increase in torque (torque management) the auto rev-matching needs to be more aggressive. The transmission is also more agressive on the downshifts thereby keeping the engine RPM's higher is also contributed by increased vehicle weight.

Well it's baffeling, I came to work today in sport mode and it didn't do it once? I was wondering if it had to do with a break in period? I only just hit under the first 1,000 miles?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Try Sport mode again on the way home when you can safely brake somewhat aggressively from 60 down to 0. You should definitely feel/see/hear it rev match on the downshifts if you’re in sport mode.

The programming should be somewhat ”situational” in that it will downshift more aggressive as you drive more aggressive.

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
Living in the mountains all I can say is this makes driving "AWESOME"!!! Going down hills or through curvy mountain roads listening to it downshift when needed.... It's like listening to a powerful Beethoven symphony and I'm the conductor Hehehe...😁

Sometimes I wonder if it's really a Banjo and Guitar I'm hearing....🤣🤣

Ginofelino

Feb 19, 2023
Gallery
Soleil661
Current Ride
Raptor 2017
This is happening to my raptor as well , it seems disproportionate to my breaking and revs even a little higher then the video

Feb 7, 2023
Gallery
wi
Current Ride
22 Braptor
Current Ride #2
12' Raptor
i despise the aggressive downshifting in sport mode. I think it's too rough on the drive train, why didn't they just do what everyone else does by just tightening up the shifts. It's too much, people next to you look over and wonder what your problem is.....

As for the charger, there's tsb for the dealer to flash the module. It didn't do anything for me so I just swapped it with an aftermarket one.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
There was a similar thread on 6G some time ago with similar perspectives. In the end it seems to come down to the individual ownership histories of those that have either owned high-end sports cars with Auto/Dual-Clutch transmissions (esp Porsche) or learned heel-toe in manuals and those that didn’t have such experiences.

In the end there are 2 basic camps on this one: those who feel the rev-matching is too aggressive and those that really like it.

I’m in that 2nd group that loves it. I’ve owned a number of 911s (PDK & Manual) and absolutely loved the rev-matching function, particularly when I made it to a track day. But that’s the key, rev-matching can be aggressive enough that it’s too much for daily driving. If you’re out with the purpose of a spirited drive then it adds to the experience and performance. If you’re on your way home from work then maybe not as much. To me the BRaptor Sport Mode compares more to the Porsche Sport+ than normal Sport which is a mode that I rarely used in my 911s. M/AMG cars have some level of rev-matching but they never felt as aggressive as what you feel in Porsche Sport+.

It would be nice if Ford allowed additional mode settings such as transmission/shift beyond the Steering, Exhaust and Suspension for the R Button setup but I doubt we’ll see that. Then you could have a Sport Mode setup that better suits your preferences.

I’m headed out right now for a drive that will be in some back roads and you can bet it’ll be in Sport Mode and downshifting at every corner.

Top Member Reactions