Raptor Oil Change issues

bourbonbill

Founding Member
Apr 5, 2022
Gallery
North Carolina
Hey all:

I went to a local oil change place today and they couldn't find info on what filter to use with the Raptor. Looks like the dealership might be the option for the first couple. My dealer is about an hour from me so I was looking for something closer.

Might be worth looking into.

Bill

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I used the Motorcraft oil filter FL-2062-A per the owners manual. The original filter is identical size but has plastic cap on both ends, maybe I'll order one from the dealer just to compare.

1675701415900.png

Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I'm going the DIY route so I know what oil is going into my twin turbo engine.
I used 7 quarts with filter change, after running engine & cool down the oil level is about 2/3 the way up on the cross hatches. I suspect the 7.5 is complete oil capacity but your unable to drain 100%. I also seen the 7.5 qts in the 3.0L specs, but the owners manual shows 7.0 quarts.

Obiwan

Mar 4, 2023
Gallery
Southwest
Current Ride
Raptor
This has been tossed around a lot. I feel 7.5 is spot on, if the truck has been sitting for a while you are getting the majority of the oil out in short order. A quick way to confirm that is to measure the oil when disposing by simply pouring it back into the containers you fill up from. 7.5 with filter change puts you right at the top of the cross hatches.

Filters can be ordered from everywhere online, Walmart had the best prices, versus Amazon, etc.

*note: you may only get 7 or so qts out when the mileage is low as it may burn some until rings seat fully and in most turbo charged vehicles with this type of emission recirc you are gonna burn some regardless.

Also make yourself a little cardboard baffle at the drain and one around your pan. It drains fast and may almost overflow your drain, at least did mine. Came within an 1/8" of pouring over and it will save you frustrations and time cleaning up.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023
Gallery
wi
Current Ride
22 Braptor
Current Ride #2
12' Raptor
-
- same filter as the 2.7
- 7.5 qts
- and it seems to burn about a1/2 quart every 5k.

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
DIY Oil Change
Not hard to prove regular oil changes for warranty purposes. Best to just enter it on your Ford Pass account, then you and the rest of the Ford world have the same info. Go paperless! I also have a maintenance/fuel app on my phone.

Use Ford's 172-pt Gold checklist as a reminder and record of data in PDF; see attached. Pick and choose as needed; I typically only verify 15-20 items, but did all applicable items on initial inspection.
  • Oil/filter and tire rotation at 5,000 mi intervals (my choice)
  • Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic, 5w30, 3x5qt jugs, $72 (two oil changes)
  • Motorcraft oil filter, FL-2062-A, $9.45
  • UPR drain plug, 3025-02
  • Change oil/filter
  • Reset oil life monitor, p.355 of Owner's Manual
  • Recycle oil at closest auto parts store for free
  • Cost: $46 and 30-45 minutes (depending on drainage time)
    • spend your wait time doing other inspections
      • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake, brake fluid level
      • Inspect engine cooling system level, strength and hoses
      • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
      • Inspect half-shaft boots
      • Inspect rear axle and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
      • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings
      • Inspect the automatic transmission fluid level
      • Inspect the wheels and related components
      • Inspect battery
      • Inspect interior and exterior lights
      • Inspect wiper blades
  • Rotate tires, 5-tire rotation (my choice)
    • This is a big job given each Braptor tire assembly weighs about 105+ lbs
    • Inspect tire wear; note unusual wear and determine root cause
    • Measure tread depth and record
    • Check tire pressures
    • Torque lug nuts properly; M14x1.5, 150 ft-lbs
      • avoid swollen/stripped nuts - consider replacing tin capped OEM nuts with solid lug nuts
1685795347156.png

Attachments

• Ford_Blue_Advantage_Gold_Certified_Inspection_Checklist.pdf
    307 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

braptor0074

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2022
Gallery
Pennsylvania
I used 7 quarts with filter change, after running engine & cool down the oil level is about 2/3 the way up on the cross hatches. I suspect the 7.5 is complete oil capacity but your unable to drain 100%. I also seen the 7.5 qts in the 3.0L specs, but the owners manual shows 7.0 quarts.
I used 7 qts Royal Purple with the motorcraft filter

Top Member Reactions