Removing side steps super easy. Ford got this one right!

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
As I make my around my truck, I’ve found a couple of pet peeves (short upfitter wiring, inaccessible end cap bolts, and inconvenient for me parking brake switch) but Overall Ford nailed it on the Raptor. The side steps are a good example.

it took me less than 5 minutes by myself to gather tools, remove the steps and store them. Impact driver, Torx bit, and remove 6 bolts on each side. After removing all bolts the boards continue to hang securely on two pins. Slide the boards back half an inch or so and then pull out to free them. Very easy one man operation.

Very nice that Ford thought this through from perspective of one person removal. This will come in handy as I’m leaving for a trail and rember at the last minute I left my steps on. 5 minutes and I’m on the road.

looks nice without the steps too
18F904CC-56D7-4808-A847-CD6769798A75.jpeg

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
As I make my around my truck, I’ve found a couple of pet peeves (short upfitter wiring, inaccessible end cap bolts, and inconvenient for me parking brake switch) but Overall Ford nailed it on the Raptor. The side steps are a good example.

it took me less than 5 minutes by myself to gather tools, remove the steps and store them. Impact driver, Torx bit, and remove 6 bolts on each side. After removing all bolts the boards continue to hang securely on two pins. Slide the boards back half an inch or so and then pull out to free them. Very easy one man operation.

Very nice that Ford thought this through from perspective of one person removal. This will come in handy as I’m leaving for a trail and rember at the last minute I left my steps on. 5 minutes and I’m on the road.

looks nice without the steps tooView attachment 5433
I am glad to hear that the one person removal advertised actually works as stated. Three questions: What is an impact driver? Does the Raptor come with the required tools to remove the steps? And how is it getting in and out while the steps are off? Obviously it will be a stretch because of the height, but just wondering what your experience has been like. Lastly, beautiful mods to the paint!

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I am glad to hear that the one person removal advertised actually works as stated. Three questions: What is an impact driver? Does the Raptor come with the required tools to remove the steps? And how is it getting in and out while the steps are off? Obviously it will be a stretch because of the height, but just wondering what your experience has been like. Lastly, beautiful mods to the paint!
The required torx tools are included in the toolkit, you don't need a impact driver other than to save a little time. I removed mine with the included tools and as @JohnGalt said it's easy and quick, no problem removing on a trail or elsewhere.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
The required torx tools are included in the toolkit, you don't need an impact driver other than to save a little time. I removed mine with the included tools and as @JohnGalt said it's easy and quick, no problem removing on a trail or elsewhere.
Yeah no need for impact driver other than speed. Without it…maybe 8-10 minutes with included tool kit.

For removal on the trail I think they’ll fit straight in the back with seats down, but definitely fit angled In. That said without padding they could scrape the crap out of the tailgate.

slicktop

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2022
florida
Current Ride
Ford Excursion .... diesel 4x4...
Current Ride #2
1974 Bronco candy apple red, white hard top
Yeah no need for impact driver other than speed. Without it…maybe 8-10 minutes with included tool kit.

For removal on the trail I think they’ll fit straight in the back with seats down, but definitely fit angled In. That said without padding they could scrape the crap out of the tailgate.
I noticed your fender gills/vents are black not body color looks good, is that something you did yourself?

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I noticed your fender gills/vents are black not body color looks good, is that something you did yourself?
Not me, my stealth ppf installer did it with black vinyl. the Vents pop right off easily though, but getting it wrapped properly over the gills looks like a challenge to me (especially with no experience or proper tools).

But cheap to get a little vinyl and easy to remove if it doesn’t look as good as desired.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
And how is it getting in and out while the steps are off?
it’s awful!

I’m 6’2”, skinny athletic 60 year old and it takes a biiiig step up, while relying heavily on the hand hold or steering wheel to swing my rear end into the seat.

but I used to own a Lotus and enjoy a good gymnastic entry and exit to/from a vehicle. So this doesn’t bother me too much.

With the combination of difficult entry and ease of remove/replacement of the steps, I’ll probably have the steps on the vast majority of the time, especially if my short little wife will be riding shotgun.

and if I didn’t have ppf I’d definitely leave steps on as much as possible. I notice a lot more side spray without them on, they appear to give a fair amount of protection to the paint.

Tacoman03

Dec 6, 2022
Gallery
Fayetteville, AR
Current Ride
2022 Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Not me, my stealth ppf installer did it with black vinyl. the Vents pop right off easily though, but getting it wrapped properly over the gills looks like a challenge to me (especially with no experience or proper tools).

But cheap to get a little vinyl and easy to remove if it doesn’t look as good as desired.
I want to do the same, but didn't know of those things "pop" off...my plan is to plasti dip as it's easier to cover odd shapes like the vent covers....looks great on yours! I have CO as well.....

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I want to do the same, but didn't know of those things "pop" off...my plan is to plasti dip as it's easier to cover odd shapes like the vent covers....looks great on yours! I have CO as well.....
I would recommend the black PPF wrap as John had done. A PPF installer won't have any problem wrapping them and it will be much easier to remove and restore back to original at a later date.

TheLawnDart

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 25, 2022
Gallery
Ft Worth
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
it’s awful!

I’m 6’2”, skinny athletic 60 year old and it takes a biiiig step up, while relying heavily on the hand hold or steering wheel to swing my rear end into the seat.

but I used to own a Lotus and enjoy a good gymnastic entry and exit to/from a vehicle. So this doesn’t bother me too much.

With the combination of difficult entry and ease of remove/replacement of the steps, I’ll probably have the steps on the vast majority of the time, especially if my short little wife will be riding shotgun.

and if I didn’t have ppf I’d definitely leave steps on as much as possible. I notice a lot more side spray without them on, they appear to give a fair amount of protection to the paint.
I’m 6’ 4 and it’s easier for me to get into the truck without the steps than with them 😂 with the steps I have to do an awkward bend over climb in maneuver. Without them I just hop in no problem.

Porque No

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
San Antonio, TX

looks nice without the steps tooView attachment 5433
Just a note..you are correct they are super easy to take off but as a result equally as easy to steal. I replaced the original bolts with lock bolts so you need a different bit to take them off. Still super easy but without the tool, a little harder to steal.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Just a note..you are correct they are super easy to take off but as a result equally as easy to steal. I replaced the original bolts with lock bolts so you need a different bit to take them off. Still super easy but without the tool, a little harder to steal.
Good thinking. Not sure there is much of a market for them….yet. But meth ain’t free, so folks will take things and figure out what it’s worth later.

what is the bolt spec? link? Thanks.

Porque No

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
San Antonio, TX
Good thinking. Not sure there is much of a market for them….yet. But meth ain’t free, so folks will take things and figure out what it’s worth later.

what is the bolt spec? link? Thanks.
I bought them on McMaster.com I used stainless tamper resistant head Torx Screw, M8 x 1.25M thread. I bought both the 30mm long and 20mm long. Ended up using the 20mm but either would work. You will need to get the 1/4" hex shank, T40 bit.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I haven't tried to pull them yet, but planning on removing them for any offroad days but that means that I need to remove before I leave the house as opposed to doing it on location without any place to store them. They're too long to store in the cargo/rear without affecting other items that I have back there.

No big deal other than the crud getting kicked up to/from the location.

That being said, I probably don't need to remove for a majority of the trail days that I'm planning on...so wills ee how much of a concern it is in the first place.

Top Member Reactions