Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at new rims. I planned on getting OEM bead lock rims and I still may go that route. It was posted recently that they add some weight which is noticeable from the standard alloy rims on my truck.

The 2023 bead locks are alloy painted. I have read they were cast or even a forged premium bead locks before.

Some members here have a lot of experience with rims and cars in general. I have always been a bike guy so even though I have owned some nice cars and trucks I have never replaced rims or put larger tires on cars or trucks. I am learning there are many factors when changing a rim or enlarging a tire. For now it seems I will stick with the 37" tire and simply replace the rims.

Can anyone suggest why I should perhaps not go with the OEM bead locks, if I can get them, and go with a lighter rim? Does anyone have a rim they think would look good and be a good fit? I am just figuring out off set, poke and such. It seems going with a lighter rim is beneficial but it still needs to be matched to the Raptor specs.

Any help would be appreciated. I do like the look of the OEM bead locks even though I will probably never use the bead lock off roading.

My truck below for reference. Thanks
jpeg 333.jpg

RennWagen

Dec 27, 2022
Gallery
Seattle
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
1970 Ford F250 Camper Special
Everyone is going to have an opinion on style. I powder coated my OEM wheels and have been happy with the result. That said, i know the guy who runs Archetype Racing and made a decision a few months ago while his new wheel line was still in development to buy a set from him, so I’m the very first customer of his new line. I picked the Olympic model and should get them in about six weeks. Mine will be powered the same color I had the OEM wheels done, in Prismatic Alpine Bronze. The pics are of my OEM wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_4712.jpeg
    IMG_4712.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 17
OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Everyone is going to have an opinion on style. I powder coated my OEM wheels and have been happy with the result. That said, i know the guy who runs Archetype Racing and made a decision a few months ago while his new wheel line was still in development to buy a set from him, so I’m the very first customer of his new line. I picked the Olympic model and should get them in about six weeks. Mine will be powered the same color I had the OEM wheels done, in Prismatic Alpine Bronze. The pics are of my OEM wheels.

Very cool. Thanks for the ideas! Nice rims.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3

if you get them in 6 weeks ill be shocked! Im on 24 weeks and counting on byod raptor rail (order #2) from them. i dont think they have ever delivered anything in their 6-8 wk blanket projection.

That said , OP what is your intended plan of use for the vehicle? If you arent going to use beadlock's, there are a lot of nice wheels that will be much lighter and you will notice improved acceleration/braking.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
if you get them in 6 weeks ill be shocked! Im on 24 weeks and counting on byod raptor rail (order #2) from them. i dont think they have ever delivered anything in their 6-8 wk blanket projection.

That said , OP what is your intended plan of use for the vehicle? If you arent going to use beadlock's, there are a lot of nice wheels that will be much lighter and you will notice improved acceleration/braking.
Thanks, I drive across the country every year and do a lot of pavement driving. As well, I do a lot of hard off roading. Hard off roading but do not ever plan on bead locking. Airing down to 20 PSI on rocks and about 28- 32 psi and fast dirt and sand. Perhaps air down lower to get out of a tough spot and air back up.

I like the idea of rims with improved acceleration and braking which can also handle hard off roading.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor

Very nice AR wheels, I re-read your post, its the Olympic forged wheel in 17x8.5 0 offset, a high quality strong wheel. Please post pictures when you get them! what size and offset do you have ordered? Anticipated wheel weight? Carbon Fiber wheels should definitely offer a performance advantage with the reduction in weight.

Your going to need their TETON Ti lug nuts to go with those new AR wheels.

Last edited:

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
Thanks, I drive across the country every year and do a lot of pavement driving. As well, I do a lot of hard off roading. Hard off roading but do not ever plan on bead locking. Airing down to 20 PSI on rocks and about 28- 32 psi and fast dirt and sand. Perhaps air down lower to get out of a tough spot and air back up.

I like the idea of rims with improved acceleration and braking which can also handle hard off roading.

Take a look at RTR Wheels as well as Icon Rebound Pro

I went with the following:
Wheels: RTR Evo 6 - 17x9 ET 18 - 22 lbs
Tires: BFG KO2 - 39x13.5x17 - 78 lbs

So even though I sized up the tires, because I went with a lighter wheel Im about the same total weight as factory beadlock ready wheels and 37s. You can see some pics HERE

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor

So even though I sized up the tires, because I went with a lighter wheel Im about the same total weight as factory beadlock ready wheels and 37s. You can see some pics HERE
This would be my first consideration if I was looking at replacing my OEM wheels or simply upgrading to 39's. The RTR wheels are a good size, offset, weight, value, and look really nice. The fact that Vaughn Gittin Jr & Loren Healy have them on their own Bronco Raptors is more than enough durability validation for myself.

Also, we have this thread with some aftermarket wheels

Last edited:

WANNA1

Nov 15, 2022
Gallery
Current Ride
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Platinum
Current Ride #2
2013 Lexus RX305, 2022 Mach E, 2022 Ford Bronco BD
I went with Raceline Forged Ryno Beadlocks & Wildpeak RT1s 38x13.50. I'll put beadlocks on my OEM forged wheels when I get new tires for them.

IMG_9575.JPG

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Personally I think focusing on what factors are important to you then backing into a wheel design is a way to go.

For me I had to have some sort of beadlock after throwing a tire off the rim at low pressure in Deeeeeep snow. Weight was a consideration (the RTRs Tye has were alluring) and offset was critical as I wanted enough offset to go bigger on my tires and NOT rub on full stuff and lock.

I ended up with Icon Rebound Pros. I can run them almost flat in snow, they are +6 so they limit my poke but give me room to grow my tire size, are around 29 pounds ( light for a beadlock), high strength and best of all really easy to clean ( I hand wash). Also hub centric, most are not.

Down side is there is no trim ring/beadlock ring for rock rash. But you’re going to either have crashed rims or rashes rings all looks the same. Like all beadlocks a pain to mount, but these don’t require periodic torquing.

Speaking of rash the factory beadlocks at +34 will get their faces rashes the first hard wheeling you do, the face is way too close to the action at that offset. Also harder to go bigger on tires without making contact in some situations.

Good luck with your decision !
IMG_6632.jpeg

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2

I will look at them both. Thanks! I remember your pics from before. I am glad you posted them here. Good to know about the total weight with the larger tires. Thanks. Those 39's look great on those rims.

Last edited:
OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
This would be my first consideration if I was looking at replacing my OEM wheels or simply upgrading to 39's. The RTR wheels are a good size, offset, weight, value, and look really nice. The fact that Vaughn Gittin Jr & Loren Healy have them on their own Bronco Raptors is more than enough durability validation for myself.

Also, we have this thread with some aftermarket wheels
Thank you. I just watched those videos. Thanks as well for posting the aftermarket thread. I have been reading that thread and there is so much to take in there. It is a bit overwhelming at first. I think I am starting to figure it out a bit more. Appreciated.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
I went with Raceline Forged Ryno Beadlocks & Wildpeak RT1s 38x13.50. I'll put beadlocks on my OEM forged wheels when I get new tires for them.

View attachment 10482
I remember your pics as well. They are a cool looking rim. It is hard to know what would look good just looking at the pics of rims. They look great. Thanks. They work well with your truck.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Personally I think focusing on what factors are important to you then backing into a wheel design is a way to go.

For me I had to have some sort of beadlock after throwing a tire off the rim at low pressure in Deeeeeep snow. Weight was a consideration (the RTRs Tye has were alluring) and offset was critical as I wanted enough offset to go bigger on my tires and NOT rub on full stuff and lock.

I ended up with Icon Rebound Pros. I can run them almost flat in snow, they are +6 so they limit my poke but give me room to grow my tire size, are around 29 pounds ( light for a beadlock), high strength and best of all really easy to clean ( I hand wash). Also hub centric, most are not.

Down side is there is no trim ring/beadlock ring for rock rash. But you’re going to either have crashed rims or rashes rings all looks the same. Like all beadlocks a pain to mount, but these don’t require periodic torquing.

Speaking of rash the factory beadlocks at +34 will get their faces rashes the first hard wheeling you do, the face is way too close to the action at that offset. Also harder to go bigger on tires without making contact in some situations.

Good luck with your decision !
View attachment 10496
Your Raptor looks great and they are nice rims. Thanks for the information about the stock bead locks and the rash and such. I do like the idea of going with bigger tires in the future. So a rim to grow with sounds nice. I am pleased so far with all the responses as it moves me down the road a bit more with learning what is important and what I should be looking at. Awesome. Thanks.

OP
Roughstock

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Hey, guys.
Recently swapped stock rims with methods. The outfit is still very nice. It's less aggressive and more vintage, I would say. View attachment 10498
Very cool. Vintage....Welcome and thanks for the information. I will check them out.

Spiderwolf

Feb 14, 2023
Gallery
USA
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2012 JeepRubicon
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at new rims. I planned on getting OEM bead lock rims and I still may go that route. It was posted recently that they add some weight which is noticeable from the standard alloy rims on my truck.

The 2023 bead locks are alloy painted. I have read they were cast or even a forged premium bead locks before.

Some members here have a lot of experience with rims and cars in general. I have always been a bike guy so even though I have owned some nice cars and trucks I have never replaced rims or put larger tires on cars or trucks. I am learning there are many factors when changing a rim or enlarging a tire. For now it seems I will stick with the 37" tire and simply replace the rims.

Can anyone suggest why I should perhaps not go with the OEM bead locks, if I can get them, and go with a lighter rim? Does anyone have a rim they think would look good and be a good fit? I am just figuring out off set, poke and such. It seems going with a lighter rim is beneficial but it still needs to be matched to the Raptor specs.

Any help would be appreciated. I do like the look of the OEM bead locks even though I will probably never use the bead lock off roading.

My truck below for reference. Thanks
View attachment 10466
I got rid of the bead locks and installed these Fuel wheels
IMG_5419.jpeg
IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_5333.jpeg

Top Member Reactions