The Curse of the Extended Warranty Lives...

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
A few of you might remember a comment I made several months ago about not wanting to get an extended warranty as every time I do such a thing I end of moving on from that vehicle shortly afterward. Well, it happened again. I purchased an Extended Warranty through Granger a couple of months ago (thankfully using mostly FordPass Points) and found myself without my Raptor as of yesterday. It's mostly good news as I moved to another vehicle with a rather DGAF attitude towards people's opinions but in a different manner.

To be clear, I had NO PLANS of selling it for YEARS. Big tires meant I could care less about crappy roads. Good weather meant the top was off as much as possible. It [provides more than enough utility for my normal needs and still puts a smile on my face most times I drove it. I Love that Beast...but I was also beginning to get frustrated with it as well. Very loud interior; so loud that I really couldn't hold a phone call when on the highway (Dallas is 75% highway driving). It rattled...all the time. Roof Panels, Rear Cargo Cover and other odd things. Almost weekly I run into issues parking it as it's so wide that many spaces aren't big enough for it, particularly with so many other vehicles parking like crap around here. 3 times in the last month I had to seek an open parking lot as the garage I was going into was barely tall enough for it to fit for my comfort. I actually stopped and measured at one point and had a total 1" gap between the roof and the garage pillar (old garage). Any odd bump or angle and the top would have been toast. But the ultimate disappointment on my part was I never got to take mine off-road. It's an activity that I truly enjoy but in DFW there really isn't any place that's worth going to, and the ones within reach are primarily rock-crawling arenas...not wide-open desert trails. That's where I want to go for recess...not 2mph slopes of rocks that will potentially damage the vehicle.

In all, I have nothing but good memories of the Raptor and don't regret getting the chance to own one. I'm jealous of the pics this group send from the trails from time to time.

So what happened? My wife happened. The lease was up on her Genesis G70 so we spent the last week or so finding her 'spirit animal' of a car. Lexus LC500? Nope. Lexus RC350? Maybe. Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo? Really cool but not much character. Another G70? Maybe... BMW 840 Coupe? Nada. 440i? Ugly snout. BMW M240i X-Drive? ABSO-Freakin-Lutely. She LOVED it from the get go. Sounds great, drives tight but soft enough for her liking. Perfect size, good looks and the right color combination. She can't stop beaming when she's in it. So we find the one she wants and visit the dealership late Saturday afternoon...and they let her keep it for the rest of the weekend. So she was sold. But it was while we were waiting for some paperwork that Saturday that we found ourselves sitting in on specific vehicle on the showroom floor. It was stunning inside and out. The interior is like a hotel lounge with distressed coffee leather and crazy ambient lighting in the ceiling. And it's a V8 PHEV with 644 hp to boot. Yes...I bought a BMW XM (not the Label version) in Grigio Telesto Metallic, a Special Order paint from the Lambo color catalogue.

BMWs.jpg

And before you say it, I will: it's overpriced and not the greatest performer in its segment. It's looks are 'controversial'. It's probably one of the worst financial decisions I've ever made. And I don't care about any of that...at least for now. I had so much equity in the Raptor that it made it almost acceptable. I'll probably still check in from time to time as I will miss my Raptor and seeing how people are enjoying it. In the meantime I'll be posting some accessories that I pulled off and had sitting around: Lightbar, Pod LIghts, Off-Road tools such as ropes, soft & hard shackles, etc.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
A few of you might remember a comment I made several months ago about not wanting to get an extended warranty as every time I do such a thing I end of moving on from that vehicle shortly afterward. Well, it happened again. I purchased an Extended Warranty through Granger a couple of months ago (thankfully using mostly FordPass Points) and found myself without my Raptor as of yesterday. It's mostly good news as I moved to another vehicle with a rather DGAF attitude towards people's opinions but in a different manner.

To be clear, I had NO PLANS of selling it for YEARS. Big tires meant I could care less about crappy roads. Good weather meant the top was off as much as possible. It [provides more than enough utility for my normal needs and still puts a smile on my face most times I drove it. I Love that Beast...but I was also beginning to get frustrated with it as well. Very loud interior; so loud that I really couldn't hold a phone call when on the highway (Dallas is 75% highway driving). It rattled...all the time. Roof Panels, Rear Cargo Cover and other odd things. Almost weekly I run into issues parking it as it's so wide that many spaces aren't big enough for it, particularly with so many other vehicles parking like crap around here. 3 times in the last month I had to seek an open parking lot as the garage I was going into was barely tall enough for it to fit for my comfort. I actually stopped and measured at one point and had a total 1" gap between the roof and the garage pillar (old garage). Any odd bump or angle and the top would have been toast. But the ultimate disappointment on my part was I never got to take mine off-road. It's an activity that I truly enjoy but in DFW there really isn't any place that's worth going to, and the ones within reach are primarily rock-crawling arenas...not wide-open desert trails. That's where I want to go for recess...not 2mph slopes of rocks that will potentially damage the vehicle.

In all, I have nothing but good memories of the Raptor and don't regret getting the chance to own one. I'm jealous of the pics this group send from the trails from time to time.

So what happened? My wife happened. The lease was up on her Genesis G70 so we spent the last week or so finding her 'spirit animal' of a car. Lexus LC500? Nope. Lexus RC350? Maybe. Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo? Really cool but not much character. Another G70? Maybe... BMW 840 Coupe? Nada. 440i? Ugly snout. BMW M240i X-Drive? ABSO-Freakin-Lutely. She LOVED it from the get go. Sounds great, drives tight but soft enough for her liking. Perfect size, good looks and the right color combination. She can't stop beaming when she's in it. So we find the one she wants and visit the dealership late Saturday afternoon...and they let her keep it for the rest of the weekend. So she was sold. But it was while we were waiting for some paperwork that Saturday that we found ourselves sitting in on specific vehicle on the showroom floor. It was stunning inside and out. The interior is like a hotel lounge with distressed coffee leather and crazy ambient lighting in the ceiling. And it's a V8 PHEV with 644 hp to boot. Yes...I bought a BMW XM (not the Label version) in Grigio Telesto Metallic, a Special Order paint from the Lambo color catalogue.

View attachment 11742

And before you say it, I will: it's overpriced and not the greatest performer in its segment. It's looks are 'controversial'. It's probably one of the worst financial decisions I've ever made. And I don't care about any of that...at least for now. I had so much equity in the Raptor that it made it almost acceptable. I'll probably still check in from time to time as I will miss my Raptor and seeing how people are enjoying it. In the meantime I'll be posting some accessories that I pulled off and had sitting around: Lightbar, Pod LIghts, Off-Road tools such as ropes, soft & hard shackles, etc.
First of all, good for you for doing what was right for your situation. So don’t worry about being second-guessed by anyone on the forum. I am sorry that the Raptor did not work out. I think I am lucky because the ambient noise in the raptor is ok with me and I have not had any drama with the top so far. I have never met you nor anyone else on the forum, but I feel I have gotten to know various members through their comments. And yours have been relevant and educational to me about after market equipment. Good luck with that beautiful BMW and enjoy the experience it will bring you for years to come!

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure

View attachment 11742

You are a class act and will be missed. Always go with the heart. I am pleased for you both.

Last edited:

412Brap

Jul 13, 2023
Gallery
PNW via #412
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Aston Martin DBX707
Congrats on the XM! I'm a huge BMW fan (multiple time X5M owner, M5, and Alpina as well). I find myself oddly drawn to the XM like its calling me. I hope you (a) have many happy miles and (b) you got a HUGE discount on it!

Praptor

Dec 5, 2022
Gallery
Connecticut
Current Ride
2022 Badlands Sas
Current Ride #2
2022 Tesla Plaid
I picked up the new 2024 i760m back at holiday as my everyday driver. Traded in my Tesla Plaid. Without a doubt you will enjoy the BMW, and their new iDrive and the luxuries that come with owning a BMW. My wifes X5 is a few years old, and certainly still a great ride, but the new BMWs and options are in my opinion class leading. That XM has my eye as her next ride.

BTW - if you contact Granger they will issue a refund for the unused portion of the warranty. When I got rid of my 2022 Badlands for the 2023 Raptor I got the maintenance and extended bumper to bumper warranties credited back. Since it was less than a year I got pretty much 90% back. I did it all over email with Granger.

Did the BMW dealership take your Raptor in trade or private sale? You did have some great mods on your Raptor

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-21 063640.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 063640.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 15
OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Congrats on the XM! I'm a huge BMW fan (multiple time X5M owner, M5, and Alpina as well). I find myself oddly drawn to the XM like its calling me. I hope you (a) have many happy miles and (b) you got a HUGE discount on it!

Thanks. I've gone through a number of BMWs over the years and this one is on another level.
  • '96 328i
  • '99 528i
  • '11 M3 Sedan
  • '16 X5M
  • '17 540i

OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
I picked up the new 2024 i760m back at holiday as my everyday driver. Traded in my Tesla Plaid. Without a doubt you will enjoy the BMW, and their new iDrive and the luxuries that come with owning a BMW. My wifes X5 is a few years old, and certainly still a great ride, but the new BMWs and options are in my opinion class leading. That XM has my eye as her next ride.

BTW - if you contact Granger they will issue a refund for the unused portion of the warranty. When I got rid of my 2022 Badlands for the 2023 Raptor I got the maintenance and extended bumper to bumper warranties credited back. Since it was less than a year I got pretty much 90% back. I did it all over email with Granger.

Did the BMW dealership take your Raptor in trade or private sale? You did have some great mods on your Raptor
Thanks for the reminder...I contacted Granger earlier this morning as soon as I saw your note!

And yes, the dealer took it in trade. But I had removed most of the updates other than the JTops and Collars as those were just too much trouble to get uninstalled and just not worth the effort.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Congratulations on your new daily drivers/toys. I think you'll be very happy with your choices and... you both have new, cool, track day vehicles! :giggle:
Of course your welcome to continue visiting us here, you sure don't need to own a Bronco Raptor.
Your a fellow vehicle enthusiast and we appreciate your contributions and support.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I love that color! I've always been a fan of M cars. I had an E60 M5 that I still miss and have often thought about getting another one. Congrats on the new ride!

vintage

Aug 16, 2022
Gallery
North Carolina
Current Ride
Bronco FE
Current Ride #2
Raptor
Congratulations to you and your wife, beautiful BMW's. Huge change from a Bronco Raptor to a BMW XM, who what of thought. But if it puts a smile on your face , that's all that counts. My 911 usually has me grinning from ear to ear, then again so does my Bronco Raptor.
Enjoy the new rides.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the reminder...I contacted Granger earlier this morning as soon as I saw your note!

And yes, the dealer took it in trade. But I had removed most of the updates other than the JTops and Collars as those were just too much trouble to get uninstalled and just not worth the effort.
Did you say you have a J tops for the Braptor and you live in DFW? What color is it? I would definitely be interested in buying that from you.

Top Member Reactions