The most exciting thread ever...about MPG

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
It's not the most interesting topic but 'm finding some interesting stuff.

I returned yesterday from an approx 400 mile trip from approx sea level in CA to Yosemite and back. The water volume in the rivers and falls up there this is mind-boggling but not the point of this thread. WRT the Brap, here's what amazing me.

I got 18.2 MPG over the ~400 miles.
I used regular 87 octane gas...though I can't be 100% what was being served at that little station I stopped at in Mariposa...but Let's just assume is regular, or worse, 87.
I was by myself with a decent bit of gear in the car.
I did 73-ish in the 65 zones across the flat but windy central valley. Once on twisty mountain roads, I mostly used my 'R' mode (sport tranny / throttle, normal steering, Baja shocks and exhaust). I was a hoonigan a bit of the time, but mostly reserved.
The two days in Yosemite had tons on starts and stops.
When I got to the park entrance, I was at 18.2.
After all the start / stop in the park, I was at 17.8 for the trip when I left the park.
When I got home, I was at 18.2.

I didn't even deploy drafting techniques, Ricky Bobby...which have returned 22mpg+ over 30-40 miles stretches for me in the BRap.

Not bad.

Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
It's not the most interesting topic but 'm finding some interesting stuff.

I returned yesterday from an approx 400 mile trip from approx sea level in CA to Yosemite and back. The water volume in the rivers and falls up there this is mind-boggling but not the point of this thread. WRT the Brap, here's what amazing me.

I got 18.2 MPG over the ~400 miles.
I used regular 87 octane gas...though I can't be 100% what was being served at that little station I stopped at in Mariposa...but Let's just assume is regular, or worse, 87.
I was by myself with a decent bit of gear in the car.
I did 73-ish in the 65 zones across the flat but windy central valley. Once on twisty mountain roads, I mostly used my 'R' mode (sport tranny / throttle, normal steering, Baja shocks and exhaust). I was a hoonigan a bit of the time, but mostly reserved.
The two days in Yosemite had tons on starts and stops.
When I got to the park entrance, I was at 18.2.
After all the start / stop in the park, I was at 17.8 for the trip when I left the park.
When I got home, I was at 18.2.

I didn't eve deploy drafting techniques, Ricky Bobby...which have returned 22mpg+ over 30-40 miles stretches for me in the BRap.

Not bad.
Wow, better than I would have expected. Guessing you didn't encounter much wind, unless you got lucky and had a tail wind in both directions. I'm at 754 break-in miles and 13.3 mpg (you enticed me to go look) which isn't bad for how it's being driven.

Over 400hp, 37" tires, ~6k lbs., and shaped like a brick, 18.2 mpg is amazing especially compared to trucks 40+ years ago with similar specs would have never seen double digits at half the speed... and oh they drove and rode really bad.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
At approximately 3500 miles (including a trip from SoCal to Moab Bronco Safari) mine has averaged 17.1 mpg. I admittedly drive the speed limit mostly in normal mode as opposed to sport. Anything above the estimated 15 mpg is fine by me.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
i dont know how you guys are averaging these number, best i have ever got, even on long road trips of freeway driving, was 13.4 mpg. Around town is worse.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
About 65 % of my driving is on country roads at a steady 55 mph, or freeway slow lane at 65 mph. I just leave the start/stop on and operate in normal mode, not sport. Pretty boring overall! 😀

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
i dont know how you guys are averaging these number, best i have ever got, even on long road trips of freeway driving, was 13.4 mpg. Around town is worse.
Sounds like your having more Fun! :giggle:

It's a Rap

Founding Member
May 24, 2022
Gallery
CA
Current Ride
FORD
It can be done but, you're really not having too much fun. I just did this yesterday driving nice with wife, although my usual driving in town being on it with sport mode and baja exhaust is about 13mpg.

Attachments

• bronco raptor fuel.jpg
    bronco raptor fuel.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 36

TheLawnDart

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 25, 2022
Gallery
Ft Worth
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
I’ve been undergoing a little experiment to test the difference of 87 vs 93. I drove 4K miles on 93 and averaged 15.3mpg. I’m only a few hundred in on 87 and am at 14.6mpg. ~70% highways / normal drive mode, ~30% city / sport mode / off-road, all mostly flat Texas terrain

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
6000 miles in and I’m averaging 13.2 since Inception (per on-board computer). But I think everything works against me. I drive too fast when I’m on the highway doing long distance, a lot of around town driving and probably well above average miles offroad. Light bar, pods, winch and bumper cap removals almost all certainly create more drag,

Fortunately gas is cheap here in California, otherwise I’d be trading it in on a Prius Raptor R. 🤪🤪

OP
fuhrius

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
300 miles into my trip, as I was coming back down out of the mountains, I was at 18.9 mpg.

The first ~750 miles I owned the Brap, I averaged 12.2mpg. That was a lot of romping up and down mountain roads and some off-road, very little freeway. I don't believe in standard break-in methodologies.

The next ~2,000 miles I've averaged 16.2 mpg with lots of freeway but little regard for fuel economy...and a fair bit of hooning / off-road.

With a little care, 18+mpg is possible even on 87. I'm a big believer in 'smooth is fast'...it can also be efficient.

Part of the downside of the Brap, IMO, is the range. Coming from the FRap where I've done almost 700 miles on a tank. The mpg is about the same as the BRap but it's got a 36 gallon tank. I did ~25k of road trips last year alone in it...hard to imagine that in the BRap.

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
20.3 mpg from Cheyenne to SLC via Steamboat Springs and US40. 636 miles with Sport steering and suspension; mostly 65 mph 2-lane roads, 50% hills and curvy then flat and west into wind with 800+ lb load. I don't expect that every day :D . Half the trip was with 87 octane and the other was with 91.

In SLC area, 88 octane (mid-grade) is currently $4.03 to $4.59/gal and 91 octane is $4.24 to $4.79/gal for Top Tier(TM) gas.

In Cheyenne area, 87 octane (regular) is currently $3.27 to $3.49/gal; 91 octane is $3.44 to $3.79/gal for Top Tier(TM) gas. I saw 85 octane for $3.04/gal at Costco.

1684851868513.png

This is potentially a serious spoiler . . . Saudi oil minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman Al Saud told oil speculators to “watch out” earlier today during an energy panel in Doha, Qatar. (Read) This comes on the heels of several production cuts and price spikes that have since been surrendered thanks to falling global consumption, banking shenanigans, and recessionary fears.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions