Third Brake Light Options

bendawg

Jul 31, 2023
Gallery
New York
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptro
Hello all - does anyone feel that there's gotta be a better solution for the 3rd brake light?

Sure, the 37s block a lot of the rear view and that's what we signed up for but it's the tri-light that just seems to out of its way to make rear view practical. I'd love to start a thread here to solution the best alternative. Let's workshop it!

I hate the circular wheel light and the rigid light isn't speaking to me.

Thanks in advance!

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I totally agree. I have 38’s coming soon too so that will block off even more. The tire blocks the view, but the massive 3rd brake light makes anything behind you disappear. I have checked out the circular in wheel lights and that is not the one for me. I will end up going with the Baja Designs RTL-M instead of the rigid and the only reason is because all of my other lighting is BD already so I may as well keep it going. It can act as brake, auxiliary, and even a license plate light as well. In fact just typing this is making me want to order it now. Might as well. Ha

Attachments

• IMG_9701.png
    IMG_9701.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9702.png
    IMG_9702.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
bendawg

bendawg

Jul 31, 2023
Gallery
New York
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptro
I totally agree. I have 38’s coming soon too so that will block off even more. The tire blocks the view, but the massive 3rd brake light makes anything behind you disappear. I have checked out the circular in wheel lights and that is not the one for me. I will end up going with the Baja Designs RTL-M instead of the rigid and the only reason is because all of my other lighting is BD already so I may as well keep it going. It can act as brake, auxiliary, and even a license plate light as well. In fact just typing this is making me want to order it now. Might as well. Ha
Hit the button! I hadn't come across BD. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Hit the button! I hadn't come across BD. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
I did. Now I have to go back and order the wiring harness now. I always forget they hit you for another $80 after you buy the light. That part always annoys me. I also have to go and flip my S2 Pro’s upside down on my rear bracket and drill a new hole in it so I can mount this above it. Good thing working on the Braptor is part of my stress relief program. Haha

Jhruzek

Jul 26, 2023
Gallery
Houston
Current Ride
2022 Braptor
I have bought the Fullvue rear view camera system. The camera mounts behind the spare and you get a clear view on a monitor and also includes a front view camera built in.

RennWagen

Dec 27, 2022
Gallery
Seattle
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
1970 Ford F250 Camper Special
I have the oracle ring in my spare tire. Lots of people hate on Oracle but I decided on theirs after personally evaluating a two of the “dinner plate” style behind-the-tire kits on Amazon (eg OffRoad Gamers). The Oracle product is universal (ie, not specific to Bronco or Braptor). It’s made with a substantial aluminum ring and it’s bright. Two wires are easy to splice in.

I also bought the 3rd brake light/chase kit from SDHQ from a forum member so i could run a basket from BadAss Tents on my spare. The Baja Designs chase lights are there and they’re bright.

I have the Brand Motion rearview camera, mounted underside of a Fast Intentions chase light bracket and a set of the Rigid lights that come on our front bumper on the back. Unfortunately these are as ineffective out back as they are up front. I will be removing them shortly

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpeg
    IMG_1295.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 41

RennWagen

Dec 27, 2022
Gallery
Seattle
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Not by my rear lights but absolutely by every car behind me at night. It’s great for daytime driving and offers some, but limited, visibility at night in traffic. It’s better than factory but factory was essentially nothing. I’d recommend talking to some folks who installed the Wolfbox version. They seem to be happier with theirs than I am with the BrandMotion.

RennWagen

Dec 27, 2022
Gallery
Seattle
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Also worth noting that my setup exposes it to the rain more than if it was tucked into the spare, so when it’s raining i have less visibility than when it’s not. The factory mirror offered no visibility, so this is marginally better, even in the wet. But you might get better performance mounting inside the tire.

RennWagen

Dec 27, 2022
Gallery
Seattle
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Yes, that’s exactly how it works. Turn it off and it’s just a mirror.

OP
bendawg

bendawg

Jul 31, 2023
Gallery
New York
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptro
I appreciate all of you that contributed but I think I'm still squarely at square one which is there isn't a solution outside of the ring (appreciate all of you that do like this option).

I also get that the camera option is out there, but I still just want to remove that bulky light that takes up too much of my rearview.

We need a better solution!

WANNA1

Nov 15, 2022
Gallery
Current Ride
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Platinum
Current Ride #2
2013 Lexus RX305, 2022 Mach E, 2022 Ford Bronco BD
I went with the Oracle ring and made my own quick connect harness so that I could use the OEM if necessary.
Here it is with 38s.
The 2nd shot is looking out with the 37s (please ignore my rear shelf & associated items).

IMG_9717.JPG

IMG_9941.JPG

SNUSNU

Dec 27, 2023
Gallery
Nevada
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
3rd Brake Light delete/relocate with Chase light mount

Fast Intentions Raptor Chase Light Mount

https://www.fastintentions.com/product/bronco-raptor-uni-chase-light-mount/

Baja Designs RTL Mini mounted to underside

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/rtl-m-mini-led-rear-light-bar/

Baja Designs S2 Sport mounted up top.

Switched lenses to amber and added S2 rock guards - made additional mod and attached the OEM Rock guard to the S2 Rock guard.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s2-sport-black-led-auxiliary-light-pod/

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s2-single-rock-guard/

IMG_1683.jpeg

IAG tailgate reinforcement as well

IMG_0824.jpeg

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
I did the same, but put the RTL on top and the lights on bottom. Works great since they tied it in to the reverse lights as well so I get a little extra now when backing up.
brap.jpg

OP
bendawg

bendawg

Jul 31, 2023
Gallery
New York
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptro
Bravo gentlemen - best options I've seen yet. Did you wire it yourselves or have someone do it?

Top Member Reactions