Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
By our very First BROTM winner, and our First BROTM repeat winner: @DesertChief

Thank you Matt, your video's are always loaded with useful information, knowledge, experience, and very helpful tips.

"By now, you’ve probably heard of the 2021+ Bronco’s steering woes. Perhaps you’ve even broken a tie rod or two yourself. While the typical narrative involves vehicles with a lift and larger tires experiencing steering failures on the trail, some believe the tie rod design on the new 6th generation Bronco is inherently weak."
"On this episode, Matt gives us his take on why these tie rod failures are happening on the new Bronco, and how aftermarket modifications may not always be to blame. After discussing the problem itself, Matt recounts his experience witnessing several Bronco tie rod failures on the trail, and how the driver could have mitigated the risk of breaking parts with a few simple off-roading tips."
"While many Bronco owners are experienced off-roaders, those who just getting familiar with the trails may be more likely to use driving aids such as front lockers, or incorrectly tackling obstacles, leading to breaks. This episode aims to inform Bronco owners of common scenarios in which tie rods can break, and provide a few tips on how to avoid them."

00:00 | Intro
01:00 | My experience with broken tie rods
02:00 | Why Bronco Tie Rods are breaking
02:45 | 1. Front Locker causes Bronco tie rods to break
05:49 | 2. Bouncing up obstacles can break Bronco tie rods
07:23 | 3. Low offset wheels can harm your steering
08:05 | What is Scrub Radius and steering axis inclination
10:19 | Wrap-up

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Ford should have these videos as part of their Bronco ‘How-To’ series going beyond how to remove the doors, use the upfitters, etc.

I also find it interesting that in both of my Off-Rodeo experiences (Horseshoe Bay & Raptor) that they continually mention only using Front Lockers when you have to as lockers are harder on the drivetrain but they never mentioned what that actually means. Would make a lot of sense to communicate that using steering angle while front lockers are activated places undo stress on the tie-rods.

JMCBraptor

Feb 18, 2023
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
2021 Ram 3500 Megacab
Current Ride #2
Escalade V ,Raptor R, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
By our very First BROTM winner, and our First BROTM repeat winner: @DesertChief

Thank you Matt, your video's are always loaded with useful information, knowledge, experience, and very helpful tips.

"By now, you’ve probably heard of the 2021+ Bronco’s steering woes. Perhaps you’ve even broken a tie rod or two yourself. While the typical narrative involves vehicles with a lift and larger tires experiencing steering failures on the trail, some believe the tie rod design on the new 6th generation Bronco is inherently weak."
"On this episode, Matt gives us his take on why these tie rod failures are happening on the new Bronco, and how aftermarket modifications may not always be to blame. After discussing the problem itself, Matt recounts his experience witnessing several Bronco tie rod failures on the trail, and how the driver could have mitigated the risk of breaking parts with a few simple off-roading tips."
"While many Bronco owners are experienced off-roaders, those who just getting familiar with the trails may be more likely to use driving aids such as front lockers, or incorrectly tackling obstacles, leading to breaks. This episode aims to inform Bronco owners of common scenarios in which tie rods can break, and provide a few tips on how to avoid them."

00:00 | Intro
01:00 | My experience with broken tie rods
02:00 | Why Bronco Tie Rods are breaking
02:45 | 1. Front Locker causes Bronco tie rods to break
05:49 | 2. Bouncing up obstacles can break Bronco tie rods
07:23 | 3. Low offset wheels can harm your steering
08:05 | What is Scrub Radius and steering axis inclination
10:19 | Wrap-up

Great Video. Finally someone explains what the actual issue is. Drivers running out of talent! Before we blame the manufactures let’s learn how to enjoy these amazing machines. It’s ok to say teach me about what my rig can do Not just blame the company who built it. We can learn something new; which will allow us to enjoy being in the dirt Having fun!

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Great Video. Finally someone explains what the actual issue is. Drivers running out of talent! Before we blame the manufactures let’s learn how to enjoy these amazing machines. It’s ok to say teach me about what my rig can do Not just blame the company who built it. We can learn something new; which will allow us to enjoy being in the dirt Having fun!
Agreed. The Bronco and Bronco Raptor tie rods are engineered and designed to break just before the steering rack housing breaks due to driver error. It's possible to replace a broken tie rod in remote locations vs. replacing a steering rack housing, and much less expensive. Ford did every owner a solid on the tie rods.

Greybeard

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Aug 17, 2023
Gallery
Huntington Beach CA
Current Ride
'23 Raptor
Current Ride #2
'22 4XE Rubicon
$65K Wrangler then puts $20K aftermarket parts and declares, "I'm ready for the Rubicon trail!" - Clasic!!

Buy the 392 and add coil over lift so they can run 37" tires and they will be substantially north of the cost of a BRaptor.

We don't have steering issues or know what a "death wobble" is.

Top Member Reactions