Weekend driving thoughts

Al The Pal

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2022
Gallery
TN
All, I got my Bronco Raptor (Cactus Grey) on Thursday evening, did about 150 miles backroad driving on Saturday, then did about 400 miles today (Sunday). I went to Deal's Gap / Tail of the Dragon in the Smokies and then drove down to Tellico river. I've got to say the Tellico continues to be one of my favorite TN roads, it's just gorgeous if you've never been there though it does get narrow in spots with oncoming traffic.

I just wanted to share a few things I wasn't aware of and just some general comments:
  1. I didn't calculate based on fill-up/miles but the trip computer suggests almost 17 is achievable doing about 75-80 on interstate and on easy back roads (93 Octane). This is East TN, plenty of hills, turns, etc. I saw some on another forum stating they were getting 21-22mpg based on their trip computer....i absolutely don't see how. I wonder if some calibration needs to set in. I'll do mileage/gallons for the next tank.
  2. Shifting into Manual will drop down to 8th automatically which helps sometimes. My Raptor did this so I expected it. Engine braking is minimal but it does help on downhills.
  3. COMFORTABLE!!! I forgot how much I missed the ride in my F-150 Raptor.
  4. Wind noise: I feel it's less than my Rubicon hardtop. I opted to not get the factory liner for the MIC top.
  5. Radio/speakers: I've seen some negative feedback. To me it is fine. I MAY replace a couple of the factory speakers in the future but I doubt it.
  6. I need to find out some radio controls...I know how to move between preset channels but not how to go to the next channel that's not a preset.
  7. It definitely turns heads. I had a 4dr Cactus Grey from Nashville area running with me for most of I-40 coming home west-bound. I got waves from 2 Jeeps (saw hundreds), only saw the 1 Bronco.
  8. MGV seats are fantastic. During one pucker up event on the Dragon the MGV went in deep and didn't cause any chaffing :)
  9. Got airborne once so with ~650 miles on the odometer I consider my break-in period done. I really wanted to take it easy for the first 1000 miles but got a little into it on the Dragon. The suspension felt great on the landing. This was on a closed course...*cough*
  10. No popping/creaking with the MIC top. I've heard some state that they've had some issues.
  11. My driver door catch hits/bumps just a bit when it closes. I may do a slight adjustment or talk to my dealer. You can't see anything wrong with the door gaps when it's closed but it definitely is a noticeable sound and I don't want it to get worse or damage something.
  12. Rear view is horrible. I jacked the seat up as much as I want to and it does help. Even if the rear brake light was split left/right of the spare, you'd only gain 1.5-2" of improved viewing. That 37 is huge. More than once through the rearview mirror I couldn't see the vehicle behind me and they weren't even tail-gating.
  13. I've mentioned before but it's definitely not as quick as a F-150 Raptor but it does do fine with all I tried this weekend.
  14. I did a little rock crawling Saturday that I used to do on 33's in other vehicles...the 37s made it EASY.
I hope more deliveries to forum members continue!!!
-Alan

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
First of all, congratulations! Glad to see a new owner gettin' on it out of the gate. I am currently driving a BL Sasq and the rear view mirror is almost useless when the soft top is in the down position, but I noticed that the side view mirrors can generally detect a vehicle directly behind me. I would be interested in your experience using the side mirrors in the Raptor to determine if they advantageous in this way or not.

OP
A

Al The Pal

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2022
Gallery
TN
First of all, congratulations! Glad to see a new owner gettin' on it out of the gate. I am currently driving a BL Sasq and the rear view mirror is almost useless when the soft top is in the down position, but I noticed that the side view mirrors can generally detect a vehicle directly behind me. I would be interested in your experience using the side mirrors in the Raptor to determine if they advantageous in this way or not.
Yes, they work fine but for years I've always angled them outward for blind spots, not focused rearward. I am adjusting my habits but left side is difficult to turn your head and see anything with the B-pillar right there. I may use right mirror for more rear, keep left angled out.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I thought last Thursday you were about to have a good weekend! Great to hear your enthusiasm and excitement in your review which brought a smile as I read. :) As always, great to hear impressions from fellow members. 🍻

braptor0074

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2022
Gallery
Pennsylvania
All, I got my Bronco Raptor (Cactus Grey) on Thursday evening, did about 150 miles backroad driving on Saturday, then did about 400 miles today (Sunday). I went to Deal's Gap / Tail of the Dragon in the Smokies and then drove down to Tellico river. I've got to say the Tellico continues to be one of my favorite TN roads, it's just gorgeous if you've never been there though it does get narrow in spots with oncoming traffic.

I just wanted to share a few things I wasn't aware of and just some general comments:
  1. I didn't calculate based on fill-up/miles but the trip computer suggests almost 17 is achievable doing about 75-80 on interstate and on easy back roads (93 Octane). This is East TN, plenty of hills, turns, etc. I saw some on another forum stating they were getting 21-22mpg based on their trip computer....i absolutely don't see how. I wonder if some calibration needs to set in. I'll do mileage/gallons for the next tank.
  2. Shifting into Manual will drop down to 8th automatically which helps sometimes. My Raptor did this so I expected it. Engine braking is minimal but it does help on downhills.
  4. Wind noise: I feel it's less than my Rubicon hardtop. I opted to not get the factory liner for the MIC top.
  5. Radio/speakers: I've seen some negative feedback. To me it is fine. I MAY replace a couple of the factory speakers in the future but I doubt it.
  6. I need to find out some radio controls...I know how to move between preset channels but not how to go to the next channel that's not a preset.
  7. It definitely turns heads. I had a 4dr Cactus Grey from Nashville area running with me for most of I-40 coming home west-bound. I got waves from 2 Jeeps (saw hundreds), only saw the 1 Bronco.
  8. MGV seats are fantastic. During one pucker up event on the Dragon the MGV went in deep and didn't cause any chaffing :)
  9. Got airborne once so with ~650 miles on the odometer I consider my break-in period done. I really wanted to take it easy for the first 1000 miles but got a little into it on the Dragon. The suspension felt great on the landing. This was on a closed course...*cough*
  10. No popping/creaking with the MIC top. I've heard some state that they've had some issues.
  11. My driver door catch hits/bumps just a bit when it closes. I may do a slight adjustment or talk to my dealer. You can't see anything wrong with the door gaps when it's closed but it definitely is a noticeable sound and I don't want it to get worse or damage something.
  12. Rear view is horrible. I jacked the seat up as much as I want to and it does help. Even if the rear brake light was split left/right of the spare, you'd only gain 1.5-2" of improved viewing. That 37 is huge. More than once through the rearview mirror I couldn't see the vehicle behind me and they weren't even tail-gating.
  13. I've mentioned before but it's definitely not as quick as a F-150 Raptor but it does do fine with all I tried this weekend.
  14. I did a little rock crawling Saturday that I used to do on 33's in other vehicles...the 37s made it EASY.
-Alan
Congratulations any pictures? I’m a GT cactus G and awaiting arrival from railyard

najay

Founding Member
Feb 22, 2022
Gallery
orange county, ca
my first road trip
raptor_roadtrip.png

Fukinstoned

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 8, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia
Wow so happy to start seeing real feedback from some off road adventures, I have a really silly question and I hope someone that has theirs can answer it, my jeep always had 2” of window in the back that wouldn’t go down can you confirm for me if the rear windows fully drop down? My kid hates having the window that stays up hahahah 😂 thanks in advance, and can’t wait to get on the trails hopefully more of us will be scheduled here soon 😉✌🏻

BHesterDMD

Founding Member
Mar 26, 2022
Gallery
Acworth

-Alan
I wonder if the future after market world will address the poor rear visibility with a camera/rear view system like so many full size trucks these days!!!

onthelookout

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
I wonder if the future after market world will address the poor rear visibility with a camera/rear view system like so many full size trucks these days!!!
I was thinking the same thing, and if there was a way to integrate the existing rear camera into a rearview mirror display.

Edit: Visibility on my SAS is already bad enough…

BHesterDMD

Founding Member
Mar 26, 2022
Gallery
Acworth
OP
A

Al The Pal

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2022
Gallery
TN
Wow so happy to start seeing real feedback from some off road adventures, I have a really silly question and I hope someone that has theirs can answer it, my jeep always had 2” of window in the back that wouldn’t go down can you confirm for me if the rear windows fully drop down? My kid hates having the window that stays up hahahah 😂 thanks in advance, and can’t wait to get on the trails hopefully more of us will be scheduled here soon 😉✌🏻
Rear windows roll all the way down, fully recessed. If not, would you cancel your order? :)

Fukinstoned

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 8, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia
Rear windows roll all the way down, fully recessed. If not, would you cancel your order? :)
Thanks so much for that, and Oh hell no!! My kid can just deal with it, I’ve always wanted a raptor but could never justify the cost, But when the hubby said they were coming out with a bronco raptor after we ordered a badlands with all the extras I was set if anything would deter me it’s all these crazy dealer mark ups I’ve been seeing.. the badlands I ordered was 78k a dealer close by marked theirs up to 101k so I figured screw it for 7k more raptor it is LOL being up north my 22 build was 108 MSRP I only added the lux and best bead lock tire option… changing to a 23 jacked it 7k so I feel like it’s almost a dealer mark up… but I want it, I’ve dreamed of owning a raptor for so long and now it’s close enough that I can’t say no, the kids will be in their own cars soon enough too so momma gets her toy! 😂🤣😂

supersix

Go for Launch!
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
U-S-A
Current Ride
2021 Bronco FE
Congrats Alan on taking delivery! Thanks for taking the time to post up a review. It sounds like an awesome trip back home. 17mpg is fantastic on the highway. My '21 Bronco gets about that with 35s.

Top Member Reactions