Whipple Bronco Raptor Calibration R&D

LethalPerformance

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jun 14, 2022
Gallery
South Florida
I was out in Fresno visiting Dustin and had the opportunity to partake in the testing and development of their Bronco Raptor calibration. They’ve got a sweet code orange Braptor there that they got moving on. While I was there Dustin and Nick worked with one of their other calibration experts by looking at the stock file and discussing what changes they’d like to see with their custom calibration. Unfortunately I had to head back East before we were able to test the initial tune file on the dyno. However Dustin sent me this video yesterday of the truck on the dyno. Testing is going great so far on 91. They’ll be making some more changes to the tune today and will then run the truck again but this time with 93 in it.

Stay tuned as I’ll be sure to post any other pics, videos and info on the progress of the Whipple Bronco Raptor calibration. If you guys have any questions in the meantime please feel free to ask.

Thanks!
B56F3894-DB18-4F42-9FB5-AF3EEC59C41E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2434.MOV
    20.1 MB

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I was out in Fresno visiting Dustin and had the opportunity to partake in the testing and development of their Bronco Raptor calibration. They’ve got a sweet code orange Braptor there that they got moving on. While I was there Dustin and Nick worked with one of their other calibration experts by looking at the stock file and discussing what changes they’d like to see with their custom calibration. Unfortunately I had to head back East before we were able to test the initial tune file on the dyno. However Dustin sent me this video yesterday of the truck on the dyno. Testing is going great so far on 91. They’ll be making some more changes to the tune today and will then run the truck again but this time with 93 in it.

Stay tuned as I’ll be sure to post any other pics, videos and info on the progress of the Whipple Bronco Raptor calibration. If you guys have any questions in the meantime please feel free to ask.

Thanks! View attachment 6916
This is Awesome news! Thank you for keeping us updated! Dustin the Master hard at work! (y)

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Subscribed! 🍿

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
Loop me in also.

OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jun 14, 2022
Gallery
South Florida
4232FC81-69E4-46D4-BB6E-5BD11557ED3D.png

Available to ship Monday! Carb Pending

The numbers are IN! 😱 Whipple Superchargers has their tuning done for the new Bronco Raptor, picking up 60rwhp with their tune & intercooler on 93 octane. Whew!

Red = Stock
Blue = Whipple Intercooler & Tune | 91 octane
Green= Whipple Intercooler & Tune | 93 octane

Available soon at http://www.lethalperformance.com

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
View attachment 7006

Available to ship Monday! Carb Pending

The numbers are IN! 😱 Whipple Superchargers has their tuning done for the new Bronco Raptor, picking up 60rwhp with their tune & intercooler on 93 octane. Whew!

Red = Stock
Blue = Whipple Intercooler & Tune | 91 octane
Green= Whipple Intercooler & Tune | 93 octane

Available soon at http://www.lethalperformance.com
Wow, if I'm figuring this correct, it's Drive Train losses are only 17.5% HP loss & 11.8% Torque loss.
So approximately 491 HP and approximately 534 ft/lbs at the crank on 93 octane?
+73 HP and +94 ft/lbs torque over stock rated HP & torque.
This is exciting, maybe hitting the speed limiter within a 1/4 mile. 🤞

Last edited:

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Wow, look at that torque increase! 🤤

bwilly68

Founding Member
Apr 1, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Land Rover Defender
Watching for more info. Can’t wait to see how this tune stacks up against the coming ford performance tune. Also hoping someone chimes in with results from this tune with and without the intercooler upgrade.
Thanks for posting

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
@LethalPerformance
  1. With this Whipple tune for our Bronco Raptors will the engine and drivetrain behavior (tuning) remain modified by our GOAT modes? vs with this tune having the same engine tune through all the different GOAT modes?
  2. Will the Whipple tune adapt to decreased exhaust back preasure with exhaust modifications such as the SPD 3" downpipes and/or the dual 3" exhaust like the Magnaflow? Or will a updated tune be required to achieve full performance potential with exhaust modifications?
  3. Just to confirm, above dyno results are with the Whipple Intercooler installed?
  4. Any options available with the tune to compensate for other modifications?

OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jun 14, 2022
Gallery
South Florida
@LethalPerformance
  1. With this Whipple tune for our Bronco Raptors will the engine and drivetrain behavior (tuning) remain modified by our GOAT modes? vs with this tune having the same engine tune through all the different GOAT modes?
  2. Will the Whipple tune adapt to decreased exhaust back preasure with exhaust modifications such as the SPD 3" downpipes and/or the dual 3" exhaust like the Magnaflow? Or will a updated tune be required to achieve full performance potential with exhaust modifications?
  3. Just to confirm, above dyno results are with the Whipple Intercooler installed?

All goat modes stay just the same as they are from the factory just enhanced with more power/tq and shift schedules.
    The calibration will work with all aftertmarket exhausts and doesn't require any changes or updates for them. Keep in mind regarding the downpipes if they work on the stock cal and don't throw a cel then it also won't throw a cel with the aftermarket ones. No custom tuning can be made for offroad products though which don't have converters.
    Yes, All testing with the cal was done with the Megacooler as it was installed on the test vehicle before the cal was done.
    I believe the only things that this tune won't compensate for are things such as offroad exhaust setups, aftermarket turbos and upgraded fuel system components such as injectors or a high pressure fuel pump.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks!

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Here's a direct link to the Whipple tune and Tomahawk Flash Device:

NOTE: The Tomahawk flash device does not store the stock file for your vehicle onto it. Once you flash your Bronco with the Whipple calibration the stock file is no longer available.

OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jun 14, 2022
Gallery
South Florida

NOTE: The Tomahawk flash device does not store the stock file for your vehicle onto it. Once you flash your Bronco with the Whipple calibration the stock file is no longer available.
To flash back to stock you would need to go to a Ford dealership.

OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jun 14, 2022
Gallery
South Florida
@LethalPerformance
Just a few more questions:
will the tune effect MPG? Engine life, and warranty?
Thanks!
Based on my personal experience with their calibration for the 2.7L bronco fuel economy should slightly improve for normal driving. However if you're planting your foot to the floor and are utilizing the extra boost and power you gain from the cal obviously fuel economy will go down. More fuel is needed to support the higher HP levels.

For engine life and warranty those are touchy subjects. You'll hear different opinions from whoever you speak to. From my 18 years in this industry any car or truck we've tuned never had any issues at the power levels you get to from a calibration only.

Warranty will solely be based on how your dealers service writer/technician handles it. Thankfully I've built a relationship with my local service writer who has always taken care of me over the years on all of my cars and never gave me a hard time about bolt on mods such as a tune, intake or exhaust. However there are some dealers out there that just aren't mod friendly.

I recommend finding a mod friendly dealership and build a relationship with your service writer. Always make sure to tip them as it goes a long way.

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
Thank you for the quick answers. Your input is appreciated.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3

That is correct. When I spoke to Whipple they told me that you can request a stock calibration (if needed) from their calibration department if you ever needed to go back to stock.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
I'm a little surprised they don't back up the configuration before you flash, most tuners do....this give me a little pause.
Same. May be worth waiting to see what numbers the Ford Performance Tune does as my understanding is the Procal device stores the factory tune on it.

OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jun 14, 2022
Gallery
South Florida
Well we're Whipple tuned!!!! We went down to Palm Beach Dyno yesterday to do some baseline pulls on their dynojet and then tuned our Bronco Raptor with the Whipple cal and ran it again. The Bronco made great power especially for the fact that we're still running the stock intercooler and that the weather was terrible. Rained all day yesterday and humidity while the truck was on the dyno was 70%.

The footage is being edited today so we should be able to release numbers and info on it shortly.

Today is the first time I got to drive the Braptor with their cal on it without the roads being wet. I can say with confidence that the Braptor with the Whipple cal drives way better than it did when it was stock. Shifting is way smoother and you can feel the power difference. No more of that clunky shifting in sport mode. It's smooth as butter now. We'll be doing a full drive review once we've got the dyno footage launched. Then we'll install the Whipple mega cooler and follow up with some more dyno testing.

For anyone looking to get a real flash tune the Whipple calibration is the real deal!

Let us know if you have any questions in the meantime.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/w...calibration-2022-ford-bronco-raptor-3-0l.html
unnamed_2__6_1_1.jpg

Stage 1 kit with device and megacooler intercooler.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/whipple-stage-1-kit-2022-2023-bronco-raptor-3-0l-eb-8192.html
o_ic_rev_12_lower_front_800163969596061bbc6580e013.jpg

Top Member Reactions