TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I finally installed the Whipple tune on my Bronco Raptor with 2400 miles and without any other modifications to the powertrain. I have driven about 70 miles with the tune installed over 4 beautiful 40 degree days. I have the Whipple Intercooler ready to install over the winter but wanted to initially just try the tune in cold weather.

You first need to purchase the Whipple Tomahawk tuning device, but it arrives without a tune, yes an empty SD card. You need to follow the Tomahawk included directions and hook it up to your Bronco Raptor for the Tomahawk to read the VIN number *.REQ file, then email that file to Whipple. Appears this *.REQ file simply captures the VIN # for confirmation for Whipple to associate to the tune. Whipple emailed the tune file to me within a day of the request. Once you have the tune file from Whipple the remaining portion of the installation/tuning process is on your time schedule. The process is easy just follow the included directions.

Installation of the tune with the Whipple Tomahawk device took less than 10 minutes before receiving the highly anticipated “Module programming complete!” message.
Simply follow the prompts:

IMG_5713.jpeg

IMG_5715.jpeg

As it's programming there is this status count to 100%
IMG_5718.jpeg

IMG_5720.jpeg

Per instructions I had the Tomahawk read for DTC errors, there wasn’t any found, but I choose to delete (clear) anyways, can’t hurt right... Instructions advised there may be possible errors at startup, I didn’t receive any.

First time driving the exhaust modes didn’t work, restarted half dozen times but didn’t resolve. So I decided to try installing the tune a second time because I was concerned of what else could be missing that’s impossible to easily identify like the exhaust modes. The 2nd tune (retune) also resulted in no DTC errors, however upon startup I did receive errors that just as quickly vanished on the digital instrument panel, I wish I would have been taking a video, but now the exhaust modes worked. I then cautiously proceeded to drive another 10 miles to my next stop. After restarting and no visible errors I started gaining confidence with the tune installation success.

Normal mode seems to hold the gears a little longer, downshifting about the same but overall this seems like a much better Normal mode for a performance vehicle. I typically only drive in Normal mode until engine is close to its optimum operating temperature, keeping engine RPM’s lower allowing the engine internals to get hot and comfy. Then it’s Sport mode, and in my case that’s “R” mode.

So far, I’ve only used Normal and Sport mode in my Bronco Raptor. Sport mode is considerably more Fun post tune. You don’t need test numbers to notice the drastic increase in performance. The torque delivery is smooth and by 3k the increase is very obvious in sound, speed, and the force planting your back into the seat. The acceleration in the 3-5k rpm range is quite fast with quick/solid shifts, this is your WOW moment as you remind yourself you’re in a 6000 pound off road 4x4 with 37 inch tires. That mid-range acceleration is very similar to most modern day sports cars.

The upshifts seem quicker, appropriate to your acceleration, however the downshifts while still offering the rev-matching are softer. It’s ok and maybe better for the driveline, but I wish it was the same as stock. I would like to know if it’s a relatively easy programming change to restore the more aggressive solid downshifts.

Prior to the tune, the air inlet vs air charged temp was usually in the 5-15 degree differential, with the air charge temp always warmer. However post tune, at any steady driving speed the temps are identical and sometimes the air charge temp is even lower. For some reason post tune the shutters are staying open, this seems to be a Good thing. On acceleration in the 3-5k range the air charge temp will get to ~20 degrees higher but quickly cools down when you stop accelerating which doesn’t take very long. When I tried full throttle once it exceeded 5k the air charge temperature with the stock intercooler starts rising rapidly even in 40 degree weather, one run to ~6300 took air charge temperature to 120 degrees quickly. I proved to myself we really don't need the exterior shutters on the intercooler, at least for performance. I now know I really need to install the Whipple intercooler.

IMG_5738.jpeg

I never noticed the air/fuel ratio in stock tune to vary from 14, or maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention, but now at a steady speed it toggles between 14 & 13, so a little richer mixture. On off-throttle coasting it will go as high as 25 and I have seen as low as 11 momentarily. I wish I would have taken notice in stock tune.

As expected, under 2k rpms there doesn’t seem like much noticeable difference in power as seen in the dyno graph below. At 2500 rpms the Whipple tune continues to increase in HP & Torque over stock, this is exactly where I feel the Bronco Raptor continue to pull hard. Overall very happy with the Whipple tune but I’m expecting to be happier post the larger Whipple intercooler installation.

BRaptor_Whipple_Tune_015.jpg

Above dyno source: SVTPerformance

Update: 11/14/23, added below dyno chart from Whipple, note both these dyno charts include pulls with the Whipple intercooler and tune.
Braptor_stock_vs_Stg1_91_and_93(1).jpeg

Based on Ford's ratings of 418 HP and 440 ft/lbs Torque, with the pull above using 93 Octane that is an estimated 490 HP and 530 ft/lbs Torque.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Thank you for the write-up and your initial thoughts on the tune! I think you are going to be very happy with the performance after the intercooler upgrade. It's going to be a rocket! :cool:

Losy

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2022
Gallery
Long Beach, CA
Great write up. Hope to have my intercooler and Whipple tune installed next week.
I actually can't wait to get the less aggressive down shifts in sport mode. Maybe I am tired of the wife saying "why does the Bronco feel weird." "What's wrong"..... ha

412Brap

Jul 13, 2023
Gallery
PNW via #412
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Aston Martin DBX707
Very thorough writeup thank you!
Any concerns about long term durability of the engine with the tune? I've seen some videos of common failures with these EcoBoosts running more boost.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Nice info. I did the whipple intercooler not long after I got mine a year ago. I went with the JB4 tuner since that is all that was around back then. I noticed the same thing as you on the temp readings. With the intercooler you will take all those vents off the front and back so they are always open. Depending on the outside temp I have even noticed it reading a degree lower than the actual air temp. Not sure how that is possible, but they definitely do their job in getting cooler air to those turbos. You won’t be disappointed. Nicely done.

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Very thorough writeup thank you!
Any concerns about long term durability of the engine with the tune? I've seen some videos of common failures with these EcoBoosts running more boost.
Thank you, I'm not anymore concerned with engine failures post Whipple tune vs. our OEM Ford Performance tune. With a majority of engine failures caused by early detonation (knock, pre-ignition, pinging), high engine RPM's, manufacturing error or lack of proper maintenance. I'm confident the Whipple tune, as with other reputable tuners, has all the needed parameters adjusted accordingly to prevent early detonation. Also, with the increased lower RPM torque, you accelerate quicker while maintaining a lower RPM thereby reducing engine wear.

Below copied from Whipple Superchargers site.

" The Whipple calibration makes up to a whopping 80* foot pounds of torque and 60* horsepower over stock. Even better, from 2000rpm, the systems produces significantly more torque giving more power under the curve for incredible throttle response. The calibration further enhances shift points to better utilize the increased torque, resulting in a much better overall driving experience, while also giving you the ability to change the tire and axle size to fix vehicle issues related to aftermarket tire/wheel and axle changes (max 5.10 gear ratio, 39" tire). "
" Whipple and it's Ford calibration team worked feverishly using advanced tools to develop a calibration that could maximize power based on 91 octane or higher fuel, while maintaining safety for everyday driving conditions. Whether your cruising, off roading, towing or just like to burn the tires, the Whipple cal is designed for all applications. The kit also features revised pedal mapping, increased speed limit, updated shift points, updated shift schedule and deactivate the annoying auto start/stop feature. Each drive mode is maintained, leaving you all the potential options your Bronco Raptor was equipped with. The Whipple Tomahawk flash tool allows easy uploading and downloading of the Whipple files while also offering the ability to read/erase trouble codes, live data viewing and advanced data logging capacity."
"

• Up to 80TRQ/60HP* peak gain over stock using 93 octane.
  • Works with new locked PCM.
  • Annoying Auto start/stop removed.
  • Compatible with future Over The Air updates.
  • Increased RPM range with higher shift points.
  • Refined pedal map for increased power under the curve.
  • Refined shift strategy for sporty feel.
  • 135MPH Speed Limit.
  • Exclusive tire size and axle calibration capacity included with flash tool.
  • No modifications required.
  • Advanced PCM calibration using factory tools for industry leading drive-ability and performance.
  • 91 or higher-octane fuel compatible."

Last edited:

CRAZYACE63

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2023 CO Braptor
Current Ride #2
2010 Challenger R/T
After reading the original post, I am definitely getting the combo when funds allow. Thank you for the write up and foresight of problems that may(or may not) occur. I will keep this thread in mind whenever I can get the bundle.

lawber

Jun 12, 2023
AZ
Military
No
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2020 Ford SuperDuty
First Responder
no
I finally installed the Whipple tune on my Bronco Raptor with 2400 miles and without any other modifications to the powertrain. I have driven about 70 miles with the tune installed over 4 beautiful 40 degree days. I have the Whipple Intercooler ready to install over the winter but wanted to initially just try the tune in cold weather.

You first need to purchase the Whipple Tomahawk tuning device, but it arrives without a tune, yes an empty SD card. You need to follow the Tomahawk included directions and hook it up to your Bronco Raptor for the Tomahawk to read the VIN number *.REQ file, then email that file to Whipple. Appears this *.REQ file simply captures the VIN # for confirmation for Whipple to associate to the tune. Whipple emailed the tune file to me within a day of the request. Once you have the tune file from Whipple the remaining portion of the installation/tuning process is on your time schedule. The process is easy just follow the included directions.

Installation of the tune with the Whipple Tomahawk device took less than 10 minutes before receiving the highly anticipated “Module programming complete!” message.
Simply follow the prompts:

View attachment 10793
View attachment 10794

As it's programming there is this status count to 100%
View attachment 10795
View attachment 10797

Per instructions I had the Tomahawk read for DTC errors, there wasn’t any found, but I choose to delete (clear) anyways, can’t hurt right... Instructions advised there may be possible errors at startup, I didn’t receive any.

First time driving the exhaust modes didn’t work, restarted half dozen times but didn’t resolve. So I decided to try installing the tune a second time because I was concerned of what else could be missing that’s impossible to easily identify like the exhaust modes. The 2nd tune (retune) also resulted in no DTC errors, however upon startup I did receive errors that just as quickly vanished on the digital instrument panel, I wish I would have been taking a video, but now the exhaust modes worked. I then cautiously proceeded to drive another 10 miles to my next stop. After restarting and no visible errors I started gaining confidence with the tune installation success.

Normal mode seems to hold the gears a little longer, downshifting about the same but overall this seems like a much better Normal mode for a performance vehicle. I typically only drive in Normal mode until engine is close to its optimum operating temperature, keeping engine RPM’s lower allowing the engine internals to get hot and comfy. Then it’s Sport mode, and in my case that’s “R” mode.

So far, I’ve only used Normal and Sport mode in my Bronco Raptor. Sport mode is considerably more Fun post tune. You don’t need test numbers to notice the drastic increase in performance. The torque delivery is smooth and by 3k the increase is very obvious in sound, speed, and the force planting your back into the seat. The acceleration in the 3-5k rpm range is quite fast with quick/solid shifts, this is your WOW moment as you remind yourself you’re in a 6000 pound off road 4x4 with 37 inch tires. That mid-range acceleration is very similar to most modern day sports cars.

The upshifts seem quicker, appropriate to your acceleration, however the downshifts while still offering the rev-matching are softer. It’s ok and maybe better for the driveline, but I wish it was the same as stock. I would like to know if it’s a relatively easy programming change to restore the more aggressive solid downshifts.

Prior to the tune, the air inlet vs air charged temp was usually in the 5-15 degree differential, with the air charge temp always warmer. However post tune, at any steady driving speed the temps are identical and sometimes the air charge temp is even lower. For some reason post tune the shutters are staying open, this seems to be a Good thing. On acceleration in the 3-5k range the air charge temp will get to ~20 degrees higher but quickly cools down when you stop accelerating which doesn’t take very long. When I tried full throttle once it exceeded 5k the air charge temperature with the stock intercooler starts rising rapidly even in 40 degree weather, one run to ~6300 took air charge temperature to 120 degrees quickly. I proved to myself we really don't need the exterior shutters on the intercooler, at least for performance. I now know I really need to install the Whipple intercooler.

View attachment 10798

I never noticed the air/fuel ratio in stock tune to vary from 14, or maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention, but now at a steady speed it toggles between 14 & 13, so a little richer mixture. On off-throttle coasting it will go as high as 25 and I have seen as low as 11 momentarily. I wish I would have taken notice in stock tune.

As expected, under 2k rpms there doesn’t seem like much noticeable difference in power as seen in the dyno graph below. At 2500 rpms the Whipple tune continues to increase in HP & Torque over stock, this is exactly where I feel the Bronco Raptor continue to pull hard. Overall very happy with the Whipple tune but I’m expecting to be happier post the larger Whipple intercooler installation.

View attachment 10799
Above dyno source: SVTPerformance

Update: 11/14/23, added below dyno chart from Whipple, note both these dyno charts include pulls with the Whipple intercooler and tune.
View attachment 10810
Based on Ford's ratings of 418 HP and 440 ft/lbs Torque, with the pull above using 93 Octane that is an estimated 490 HP and 530 ft/lbs Torque.
Hopefully they fixed the issues I was having. Let me know how it does in higher elevations, always thew codes and went in lingo mode for me.

Losy

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2022
Gallery
Long Beach, CA
First day with Whipple tune and intercooler on my 22 Braptor. I am now a believer. The difference is very noticeable in a positive way. Daily driveability is my favorite improvement. Many of the stock transmission and overall throttle issues that annoyed me have been resolved. The power is there when you need it without feeling like you are in sport mode. And now the downshift are smooth. Anyways worth the money and wait.

Top Member Reactions